Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Waters wrote:
The blade has an 11th century feel, and now that Craig Peters has corrected me on the subject, the hilt does have a nice 13th century feel to it.

As further evidence of what I've mentioned, check out Patrick Kelly's custom Peter Johnsson sword. Patrick wanted a type X blade that was rehilted in a 13th C fashion, similar to how some antique medieval swords were later rehilted during the Middle Ages. In terms of blade type, pommel and cross, the sword is fairly similar to yours. The main difference is the Type H pommel.

See it here: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_pj_bj.html
Kirk B.

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With so many amazing kits being shown here I hardy dare share mine- I don’t belong to any clubs or groups, so it’s little more than a occasional Halloween costume made with “fun fur” leggings and inexpensive Ebay bought butted wire maile.

But with the temps finally rising here after a long hard winter, I’ve got a touch of cabin fever today- Plus there’s still several inches of snow left on the ground to hide the fact I’m just wearing sneakers.

However I did make my own surcoat (btw, not nearly as bright of red as it’s showing on my monitor Question ), the sword belt, scabbard, & pommel/hilt.

And the ‘stash, it's authentic, Wink

:-{o

-Mr. B.
Martin Kealey

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: My harness         Reply with quote

Well, here it is. An eclectic harnisch for a grizzled old man-at-arms assembled from components culled from a lifetime of battles--mixing old favourites (helmet, gauntlets, legs) with newer acquisitions (arms and different breastplate to accommodate my middle-ages spread)

Elric Rabenfels

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My late 15th century combat kit is growing into something very substantial:

Yes, definitely getting there. Rawr!

Please ignore the sword, it's muddyevil. I didn't have any other blade available at the time. Sad

- What can change the nature of a man?
Martin Kealey

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: kits and harness         Reply with quote

All dressed up for a day on the towne or serene contemplation.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin, a couple of great kits there. I really like the cardinal's setup. Kirk, nice set altogether. Great time period.
Simon Cole

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: My kit         Reply with quote

My kit as it stands today, been a couple of years putting this together, after initially buying a couple of gambesons I was mostly un happy withe the look and feel, do I decided to by the Charles de bloise pattern for a pourpoint and very happy withe result the kit is mostly off the shelf but I hope to add custom pieces like a new visor and legs overtime, it's a bit embarrassing compared to most kits posted here

Attachment: 171.02 KB
Custom poupoint [ Download ]

Attachment: 157.98 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 169.54 KB
[ Download ]
Raman A

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jun, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it looks great!
O. Stockhaus

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my attempt at recreating a 10th century warrior from Gnezdovo in Russia with ties to scandinavia. The flag on the shield is an anacronism, but it is for a team competition, so not a part of my regular kit.

Attachment: 172.17 KB
[ Download ]
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

O. Stockhaus wrote:
This is my attempt at recreating a 10th century warrior from Gnezdovo in Russia with ties to scandinavia. The flag on the shield is an anacronism, but it is for a team competition, so not a part of my regular kit.

Looks very good, I like the nasal heland the whole general look of the kit.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gábor Benko

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

I've started a mid 14th century kit (around 1350 to 1370) in this year (around april) and yesterday I've finally got my bascinet from the armour maker, and I can't stand it, not to show this beauty to you! Happy
Currently I'm working on the mail for the aventail...
Hopefully sooner I'll be able to show you photos of my entire current kit (tough I think I'm not complete yet...).
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a nice helmet, I always wanted an open face helmet like that. I just have trouble finding the right padding for aventail.
Ian Craig

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good evening all! Been admiring all of your brilliant kits for weeks and finally got a chance to slink from the shadows and register. My harness which is currently being put together for functional use on a budget for harnisfechten is still a work in progress and each piece is more or less a place holder until my wife allows me to get custom harness bit by bit. Idea is a mid-late 14th century harness that will keep me safe. Currently it's mostly gdfb all in need of some tweaking. [/img]

Attachment: 119.73 KB
Missing arms, spaulders and besegew and I'm waiting on a simple gorget a buckler, aventail for my bascinet and a wulflund godegot sword [ Download ]
Harry Lindfors

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My early 13th century Teutonic knight. Maille chausses are still on the to-buy list, but otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with it so far...

[img][/img]
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Lindfors wrote:
My early 13th century Teutonic knight. Maille chausses are still on the to-buy list, but otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with it so far...

[img][/img]

Milord, your surcoat need to be longer. early 13th century surcoats were at least knee length.
Gábor Benko

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jul, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Philip is right, even in the early 14th century, they used at least knee lenght surcoats, you can check it here for example:
http://www.themcs.org/armour/14th%20century%20armour.htm (unfortunately efiigiesandbrasses site doesn't work...)

This dagged end seems also a bit strange to me... it looks like quite like the dagging in the Morgan Bible, but the "originals" are gambesons, not surcoats... could you show me any source of this kind of dagged surcoat? No offense meant, I'M just curious, because I like 13th century very much, and I'm always intrested in it...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b3/00/3a/b3003a6cbcef0d6625a336f6a76a8b8c.jpg

btw. the kit is so far very impressive, I like your helmet very much Happy

"Usque ad finem"
Harry Lindfors

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, it's not a surcoat, but textile armour over the maille. The picture doesn't show the quilting, so here is another one that does. Admittedly, it is fairly thin for such armour, only ten layers:

[img][/img]

The dagged edges are based on this picture. It's from the "Beatus Commentaries on the apocalypse", dated to around 1190-1225. The knight on the lower left corner is wearing an early form of great helm, and textile armour over his maille:

The picture is spanish, so perhaps questionable to use as a basis for a german knight, but it does prove the existence of dagged edges, at least on textile armour at this time.

What is really off in my gear, is my gambeson. It is way too short. It should be longer than my maille, at least to my knees. I am planning to replace it with a longer one as soon as I can find the time to actually make one... And I really, really need those maille chausses...
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Lindfors wrote:
Actually, it's not a surcoat, but textile armour over the maille. The picture doesn't show the quilting, so here is another one that does. Admittedly, it is fairly thin for such armour, only ten layers:

[img][/img]

The dagged edges are based on this picture. It's from the "Beatus Commentaries on the apocalypse", dated to around 1190-1225. The knight on the lower left corner is wearing an early form of great helm, and textile armour over his maille:

The picture is spanish, so perhaps questionable to use as a basis for a german knight, but it does prove the existence of dagged edges, at least on textile armour at this time.

What is really off in my gear, is my gambeson. It is way too short. It should be longer than my maille, at least to my knees. I am planning to replace it with a longer one as soon as I can find the time to actually make one... And I really, really need those maille chausses...

Very thin, if you going to coy just knight, your mail and gambeson both both be longer, your gambeson/surcoat whatever should have order insignat on it, your mail need to be longer, you shouldn't have chausses, your pants need to be hosen. You can't base one thing on another to justify one set then claim one look. I thought your were going for a knight of a holy order look, but your image suggests otherwise.
Harry Lindfors

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:

Very thin, if you going to coy just knight, your mail and gambeson both both be longer, your gambeson/surcoat whatever should have order insignat on it, your mail need to be longer, you shouldn't have chausses, your pants need to be hosen. You can't base one thing on another to justify one set then claim one look. I thought your were going for a knight of a holy order look, but your image suggests otherwise.

English is not my native language, so perhaps I was being unclear; The only thing i'm basing on the manuscript picture is the dagged edges on the textile armour, not my entire persona. Also, I'm not sure I understood your somewhat garbled message correctly. I do have order insignia on my aketon, my maille is the correct knee length, I only have pants on because I don't have maille chausses yet and I already admitted my gambeson is too short. I think I'm very well in the ballpark for a knight of a holy order, just not done with it all yet.
Baard H

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, your gambeson (underneath the maille) shouldn't be longer than your maille. However, if you do not have a pair of padded hose it shouldn't be much shorter than your maille either.
No matter whether you get the maille chausses or not, you should replace the pants with tight fitting wool hoses anyway. You're a proud knight of the high middle-ages not some migration era peasant! Wink

At kveldi skal dag leyfa,
konu, er brennd er,
mæki, er reyndr er,
mey, er gefin er,
ís, er yfir kemr,
öl, er drukkit er.
-Hávamál, vísa 81

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 89 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: