Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Effectiveness of ranged weaponry against armour? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "harrow" formation shouldn't be translated at all. It is pretty obvious where the term comes from and it is a perfect description.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is really interesting Pieter, thanks for posting. I never really understood what they meant by coustiler. So the coustiler, who are sometimes described in contemporary texts as 'swordsmen', were actually something more like billmen (glaivemen?) which makes a lot more sense than guys with a sword as a primary weapon.

I would like to point out that the "lance" (helm, gleve etc.) as a unit took on many forms around Europe in the late medieval period. I think some of the TOE for these that we see in French and Burgundian ordinances, particularly those of Charles the Bold, are to some extent experimental. There is also a difference between the 'lance' as an element of the muster (i.e. how many people you are responsible for bringing to the party) and as an actual combat unit.

East of the Rhine the Lance seems to have taken on different forms, but been more oriented toward the latter. Sometimes it was as simple as 3 men, a man at arms, a lighter lancer, and a valet. Others particularly in the Baltic and East of the Elbe more commonly show 5 men: a man at arms, a lancer, two mounted crossbowmen, and a valet. i think the Italian 'lance' was more like that as well. But only in French and Burgundian documents, at least as far as I know, have i seen this mix of cavalry and infantry in the lance.

However! I have sometimes seen references to an armed gentleman traveling on horseback but accompanied by bodyguards or 'trabant' (or 'fußknecht') who are on foot, the latter typically with halberds or crossbows. I've never seen that depicted in a purely military context but it does seem to have been a 'thing'. I think Durer is depicting the arrangement here:

and Hans Wechtlin here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...knecht.jpg

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Dan, I suppose we could leave it untranslated but how many people would know what a harrow is of all things? I sure didn't, the first one I saw was in Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry of all things Wink

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
That is really interesting Pieter, thanks for posting. I never really understood what they meant by coustiler. So the coustiler, who are sometimes described in contemporary texts as 'swordsmen', were actually something more like billmen (glaivemen?) which makes a lot more sense than guys with a sword as a primary weapon.

I would like to point out that the "lance" (helm, gleve etc.) as a unit took on many forms around Europe in the late medieval period. I think some of the TOE for these that we see in French and Burgundian ordinances, particularly those of Charles the Bold, are to some extent experimental. There is also a difference between the 'lance' as an element of the muster (i.e. how many people you are responsible for bringing to the party) and as an actual combat unit.

East of the Rhine the Lance seems to have taken on different forms, but been more oriented toward the latter. Sometimes it was as simple as 3 men, a man at arms, a lighter lancer, and a valet. Others particularly in the Baltic and East of the Elbe more commonly show 5 men: a man at arms, a lancer, two mounted crossbowmen, and a valet. i think the Italian 'lance' was more like that as well. But only in French and Burgundian documents, at least as far as I know, have i seen this mix of cavalry and infantry in the lance.

However! I have sometimes seen references to an armed gentleman traveling on horseback but accompanied by bodyguards or 'trabant' (or 'fußknecht') who are on foot, the latter typically with halberds or crossbows. I've never seen that depicted in a purely military context but it does seem to have been a 'thing'. I think Durer is depicting the arrangement here:

and Hans Wechtlin here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...knecht.jpg

Jean

Hello Jean

Yes a glaive, other polearm or demi-lance(spear) is what is listed as required equipment for a coustiler in the Burgundian ordnances and I believe the French ones too. The illustrations of Froissarts chronicles also show medium armored figures fighting with glaives, either these were present at that time and listed as archers or they were a class of soldiers such as coustiler around when the illustrations were drawn, perhaps both.

Capture of calais

Battle of La Roche Derrien

Siege of Harfleur (no infantry other than archers present according to the indentured contracts correct?)

Detail of Beauchamp pageant, notice what appears to be partially armored infantry standing right behind the archers

I am afraid I do not know much about the way armies were organized east of the Rhine nor how fighting would take place but a difference in lance size and type could be explained by differing combat practices and troop requirements.

Pieter
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:
Hello Dan, I suppose we could leave it untranslated but how many people would know what a harrow is of all things? I sure didn't, the first one I saw was in Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry of all things Wink

A hedgehog formation is not the same as a harrow formation. In the former the pikemen are standing shoulder to shoulder. In the latter they are spaced far enough apart to let archers move among them.

Pieter B.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Dan.

Thanks for pointing that out. Do you know anything about the percentage of mounted infantry in the armies of the 100 years war too?
Alexis Bataille

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About armor and penetration, http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Hydrostatic_shock hydrostatic shock can kill you instantly.
And perhaps neural effect can begin at 140 Joules.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter,
“Randall I really enjoyed our discussion so far.”

I have as well.

“ How about we both just say longbow archers were effective and leave the how (armor penetration or hitting an unarmored part) for now.”

This is more or less where I have arrived after a decade and a half of looking at this.

“ I am just eyeballing casualty rates of some of the famous battles of the 100 years war and it seems the chance per arrow of killing or otherwise inuring someone is relatively low, provided that the archers did indeed fire at the high rate commonly ascribed to them. Perhaps both ways accounted for an equal part of the casualties with the majority of arrows that didn't reach the flesh having some other effect which affected the outcome of the battle.”

Something to consider is that casualties in an army tended to be rather low. Keegan makes the point that just above 5% casualties and most armies break and flee. Of course there are exceptions but think of it this way. Even if you are only losing a few single digit percentages of your troops by archer then you might be well on your way to Keegan’s breaking point. I think the balance of men-at-arms to archer was indeed vital. Even with stakes to help make up for fewer men-at-arms these are nowhere near as useful. Most accounts we do see the two armies engage which to me means the archers were there to weaken the enemy force before it engaged, keep weakening it as it is fighting and once the arrows were gone reinforce the men-at-arms.

“A thing I would like to discuss further is the percentage of contracted archers actually being archers in the modern sense. Mike Loades claims a certain part of those listed as mounted archers on the indentured contracts served as mounted infantry with a role to protect archers and ravage the land. At first I raised an eyebrow but it doesn't seem to far fetched really, perhaps you already know it and can provide me with an answer but if you want to hear my line of thought here it goes:

1: Archer in the medieval and early modern world doesn't have the same meaning it does now. In the 16th century a French mounted archer was essentially a man-at-arms in full armor with a lance riding on an unarmored (but charging) horse.
The French established a parish militia (around 1450-66) called the Franc-archers (free-archers) which contrary to what the name might suggest were armed with not just longbows but also crossbows, glaives/voulges and spears.”

OK. So lets start with Mike’s idea. First off this is an older idea that has come up before and there are more bits of evidence that lean to a yes. I think Andrew Ayton brings it up in Crecy as a possibility. He indicates that Hobelars largely disappear and likely were merged into mounted archer. Perhaps. But here is the issue. The inventories. Archers in most cases when we have weapons listed are the dominate force, even mounted forces.
There is a mid 15th English retinue that comes up showing more or less balances billmen to archers both mounted and on foot but I do not see that in the few other contemporary accounts with equipment.

Here is another possible concept to put in the mix to make things even more confusing. What if archers were used as both and really were both….

But here is the kicker…. Hobelars do show up all the way into the 15th century toward the end… to me sort of kills the idea they were simply lumped into the group at least in England. I myself lean more toward being used as both.

As to the Franc-Archers they actually go back far earlier in many ways Charles V makes a very similar setup. These largely seem to have been to provide archers and crossbowmen at this time. This makes sense. The French can muster huge armies of men-at-arms as well as urban militia which tended to be better equipped than rural troops with armour, many being crossbowmen. It actually seems the increase in pole weapons coincides with the rise of the Swiss and French monarchy copying them. Especially during their wars with Charles the Bold. So depending on when we are referring to the Franc archer’s yes. But when Charles VII starts them up again it does seem his main focus was archers which makes sense. His companies of Ordinance would be a mixed group much like Charles the Bold would do to provide a balanced force capable of dealing with many situations.

It could be this system would allow for flexibility determined by need. If you need all the archers to act as archers because you have enough support great. If not you can balance them out as needed.

‘2: The French and later the Burgundians introduced a lance based recruitment system built around a man-at-arms with two to three archers and a page. Going by the ratio of longbow archers to man-at-arms it seems this is not a new concept but rather a codification of an already existing recruiting ratio/practice. But who or what is this new addition called a Coutilier? He was mounted, reasonable armored and armored with a voulge/polearm to demilance/spear. While the latter looks like a cavalry weapon the former does not suggesting he is some form of mounted infantry. Now another question this raises if whether this troop type was a new invention or, rather like the rest of the lance recruiting system, a codification of an already existing practice? I believe this Coutilier existed before the lance system named him that and that he was attached to the mounted archer to provide some form of infantry protection when they went about ravaging and burning the countryside.’

Cliff Rogers thinks this is where many of the numbers for Agincourt for example go off as he thinks the servants of the men-at-arms were armed men so should be counted as soldiers. Valet is a pretty ambiguous word. Monstrelet seems to agree though. It makes sense and tactically allows for a force that can adapt to the situation. Remember as well men-at-arms learned to fight on foot and often did so to me thinking other groups could be both fighting on foot at times and mounted seems pretty reasonable.

As Jean and Dan have pointed out the lance varies a great deal across Europe so hard to say. Even in the same place it can vary, Froissart largely states lances as men-at-arms so we are left with a rather unclear situation.

‘3: Froissart refers to the English formation as a harrow which is commonly translated as hedgehog. This could refer to the men-at-arms with cut-down lances and other polearms or the stakes driven in the ground before the longbow archers on the flanks. Another possibility is that a third type of soldier was standing between or behind the longbow archers. Rather than leaving the longbow archers protected only by a line of stakes and their wits they might have had good quality infantry near them, something that might explain the harrow/hedgehog comment.’

Dan’s point is a good one as it creates a few layers of protection for the archers. There is a Burgundian account that indicates that their archers need3e to learn to shoot over their men-at-arms as they would a wall. WE might have two different formations. A longer line setup or a more distinct staggered set up. Burne’s states the herce is actually the fact that some troops come forward on the sides. Herce only sounds simple. It could be that this was a mixed group of men-at-arms and their valets or other armed servants to reinforce them as well.

I honestly think medieval tactics and organization was far more flexible and capable than often assumed. It is very likely to me the servants were armed and employed.

'Thanks for pointing that out. Do you know anything about the percentage of mounted infantry in the armies of the 100 years war too?'

When and which campaigns.

The larger campaigns like Crecy or Agincourt seem to be largely infantry. But if on a Chevauchee then most would be mounted and smaller. Just depends. the men-at-arms to archer ration goes from 1-1 earlier on in the war to 1-3 toward the end of the 14th and higher in the 15th. But in larger campaigns there are far more archer for the English so still depends.

Hope this makes sense. Long night and brain is tired.

RPM
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:

OK. So lets start with Mike’s idea. First off this is an older idea that has come up before and there are more bits of evidence that lean to a yes. I think Andrew Ayton brings it up in Crecy as a possibility. He indicates that Hobelars largely disappear and likely were merged into mounted archer. Perhaps. But here is the issue. The inventories. Archers in most cases when we have weapons listed are the dominate force, even mounted forces.
There is a mid 15th English retinue that comes up showing more or less balances billmen to archers both mounted and on foot but I do not see that in the few other contemporary accounts with equipment.

Here is another possible concept to put in the mix to make things even more confusing. What if archers were used as both and really were both….

But here is the kicker…. Hobelars do show up all the way into the 15th century toward the end… to me sort of kills the idea they were simply lumped into the group at least in England. I myself lean more toward being used as both.

Well one distinction we could perhaps make between mounted bill armed archers and hobelars is the region or people they were recruited from. Perhaps equipment was also different, thins such as using stirrups and complex polearms instead of spears. Just as the Welsh longbow soon became more 'English' as it were a similar thing might've been seen with hobilars who were increasingly drawn from the English populace who rode with a normal saddle and such.

A 50/50 ratio is perfectly acceptable I suppose and it would allow the 'archer archers' to shoot for prolonged periods. It's also the ratio shown in that Burgundian Sketch although lance ratios would suggest 1 bill/glaive/spear armed mounted guy for every 3 archers.

An inclusion of these melee archers would also go a long way to explain how the archers on the flanks of the men-at-arms were kept safe.

Quote:
Cliff Rogers thinks this is where many of the numbers for Agincourt for example go off as he thinks the servants of the men-at-arms were armed men so should be counted as soldiers. Valet is a pretty ambiguous word. Monstrelet seems to agree though. It makes sense and tactically allows for a force that can adapt to the situation. Remember as well men-at-arms learned to fight on foot and often did so to me thinking other groups could be both fighting on foot at times and mounted seems pretty reasonable.

As Jean and Dan have pointed out the lance varies a great deal across Europe so hard to say. Even in the same place it can vary, Froissart largely states lances as men-at-arms so we are left with a rather unclear situation.

Servant, groom, valet, page, valet du guerre. It's a whole mess of names indeed. Phillip de Commines did complain that many valets had no armor or improper armor at what I believe was the battle of Montlhéry, from what I gather they weren't fighting men at all but stayed close to their man-at-arms to help him on his feet should he be knocked out, drag/ride him back if he was wounded and supply him with a new lances. The later Burgundian ordnance's seem to confirm this because they request the men-at-arms to provide their valet with armor and a sword but make no mention of a main weapon. I think we should be looking at these medium armored guys with glaives and bills depicted in art where according to sources only men-at-arms and archers should've been present. The few written accounts of pages and valets I came across suggest they were either with their men-at-arms, archers or further back with the baggage train.

Quote:
Dan’s point is a good one as it creates a few layers of protection for the archers. There is a Burgundian account that indicates that their archers need3e to learn to shoot over their men-at-arms as they would a wall. WE might have two different formations. A longer line setup or a more distinct staggered set up. Burne’s states the herce is actually the fact that some troops come forward on the sides. Herce only sounds simple. It could be that this was a mixed group of men-at-arms and their valets or other armed servants to reinforce them as well.

Pikemen, they were required to practice advancing while firing and shooting over a front row of pikemen.

Quote:
“Furthermore, my lord (the duke) ordains that, in order that the said troops may be better trained and exercised in the use of arms and better practised and instructed when something happens, when they are in garrison, or have the time and leisure to do this, the captains of the squadrons and the chambres are from time to time to take some of their men-at-arms out into the fields, sometimes partly, sometimes fully armed, to practice charging with the lance, keeping in close formation while charging, (how) to charge briskly, to defend their ensigns, to withdraw on command, and to rally, each helping the other, when so ordered, and how to withstand a charge. In like manner (they are to exercise) the archer with their horses, to get them used to dismounting and drawing their bows. They must learn how to attach their horses together by their bridles and make them walk forward directly behind them, attaching the horses of the three archers by their bridles to the saddle-bow of the page to whose man-at-arms they belong:, also to march briskly forwards and to fire without breaking rank. The pikemen must be made to advance in close formation in front of the said archers, kneel at a sign from them, holding their pikes lowered to the level of a horse’s back so that the archers can fire over the pikemen as if over a wall. Thus, if the pikemen see that the enemy are breaking rank, they will be near enough to charge them in good order according to their instructions. (The archers must also learn to) place themselves back to back in double defense, or in a square or circle, always with the pikemen outside them to withstand the charge of the enemy horse and their horses with the pages enclosed in their midst. The conducteurs can begin by introducing this way of doing things to small groups and, when one of these groups is practiced and instructed, they can take out others. While doing this, the conducteurs are to keep an eye on (all) their people every day so that none will dare absence themselves or be without horses and armour, because they will not be sure on which day the conducteurs will want to take them out on exercises. Thus each will be constrained to learn to do his duty.”

- The Ordinance of St. Maximin de Tréves: October 1473

I believe that at this point pikes slowly started replacing other polearms and that Coutiliers were increasingly gaining a role as cavalry instead of mounted infantry, their glaives were taken away and they were to be exclusively armed with demi-lances.

Pieter.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the featured article on mail armor by Dan Howard he cites these two passages.

Quote:
Here are some more brief examples: at the Battle of Byland (1322), Scrymgeour, Robert the Bruce's standard bearer, took a longbow arrow in the arm that did no harm because of his mail hauberk. During the Battles of Dupplin Moor (1332) and Halidon Hill (1333), the English longbowmen inflicted few casualties because of Scottish armour but caused great disorder by attacking the faces and heads of their foes, many of whom were either not wearing helmets or did not have visors.75

Quote:
And when he [Benkin] was aiming at the besiegers, his drawing on the bow was identified by everyone because he would either cause grave injury to the unarmed or put to flight those who were armed, whom his shots stupefied and stunned, even if they did not wound.76

What kind of blunt trauma is inflected by arrows that causes stunning? Are those hits to the body or exclusively ones to the helmet?
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexis Bataille wrote:
About armor and penetration, http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Hydrostatic_shock hydrostatic shock can kill you instantly.
And perhaps neural effect can begin at 140 Joules.

Hydrostatic shock is a theory only and has not been scientifically proven. In any case there is no way that any kind of muscle powered weapon could cause this kind of injury - only explosions and high powered firearms.

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:
What kind of blunt trauma is inflected by arrows that causes stunning? Are those hits to the body or exclusively ones to the helmet?

"Stunning" has a different meaning to different people and translations are unreliable for this kind of study. You'd need to consult the original language understand the intent of the author.

Pieter B.

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Pieter B. wrote:

"Stunning" has a different meaning to different people and translations are unreliable for this kind of study. You'd need to consult the original language understand the intent of the author.

Well it's Latin so that would complicate the matter a little.

I cannot vouch for the authenticity nor can I read it so if anyone is willing to step in on this I'd be a happy camper.

https://archive.org/stream/histoiredumeurt01piregoog/histoiredumeurt01piregoog_djvu.txt

Quote:
Itemque plures et in prima et subsequenti-
bus obsidionis ingressi erant diebus causa pretii et lucri;
inter quos inmanis et in sagittando sagax et velox tirun-
culus unus nomine Benkin^ aderat. Hic circumibat muros
pugnando, modo hac modo illac discurrens, quandoque
solus ipse videbatur fuisse plures , qui tôt ab intro vulneri-
bus inficeret et numquam cessaret. Cumque ipse ad obsi-
dentés traheret*^, tractus ipsius discernebatur ab omnibus,
quia vel percuteret gravi vulnere nudos^, vel jactata sagitta
quos persequebatur armatos sine vulnere contunsos, stupe-
factos in fugam vertebat.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Google Translate gives, for the last sentence:

"And when he was conducting the draw, of course discerned by all, for serious wound or kill vulnerable, or tossed arrow
have pursued armed contunsos unscathed, and aghast in flight."

If "contunsos" is a typo for "contusos", it would be "bruised".

A reasonable translation might be:

"Whenever he was in the draw, his drawing was discerned by all, because the naked were pierced and seriously wounded or the arrows cast against the armoured, without wounding or bruising, sent them fleeing stupefied."

"Stupefied" could mean, physically, "numbed", or mentally, "made stupid", perhaps distractedly afraid. It could even mean "stunned", but then they would be standing/sitting/lying stunned, rather than running away.

A loose translation might be: "He hit and seriously wounded the unarmoured, and, although he didn't wound or bruise the armoured, he hit them and they ran away scared."

It's praising his accuracy, not any unusual strength of his shooting. The unarmoured are wounded, and the armoured are not.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That could be a reasonable explanation but I wonder where the author/translator got "whom his shots stupefied and stunned, even if they did not wound." from. Did the armored people cower and run when they say the other being shot?
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo,

'Cumque ipse ad obsi-
dentés traheret*^, tractus ipsius discernebatur ab omnibus,
quia vel percuteret gravi vulnere nudos^, vel jactata sagitta
quos persequebatur armatos sine vulnere contunsos, stupe-
factos in fugam vertebat.'

'"And when he was conducting the draw, of course discerned by all, for serious wound or kill vulnerable, or tossed arrow
have pursued armed contunsos unscathed, and aghast in flight." '

I am not sure that translation works how google has done it. I'd use thrown or cast over tossed here. Jactare is a later term for Iactare which is to cast, hurl or throw but can be tossed but such a odd word here. Stupere- means to stupefy or astound. A quick translation of the end to me seems to indicate that he was indeed stupefying these armoured men with his arrows but we are back to what ever that might mean. But the verb is seeming to tie to the arrows so are the arrows awing the men? Not sure but seems the man would be more likely to awe and arrows to stun. Interesting word choice. Still nothing solid and the active player are the arrows.

To me the last part is interesting as well.-I am curious where Vertere went to. It means to overthrow, destroy or turn around.

An interesting account.

So is it saying, the hurled arrows did not wound the armed men but awe/stupefied them turning them around/overthrowing them in flight?

RPM
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Google Translate works as a first draft, but in cases like this, only as a first draft.

Vertere is "turn around", and can mean "to retreat". Subvertere is "overthrow, destroy". According to my dictionaries; real-life usage might disagree on occasion.

The armoured men might be disheartened by his accuracy. If he can hit them, he will hit them again, and again, and will hit them in gaps, thin armour, etc.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo,

I suspect it works for both. My two dictionaries both include overthrow or destroy for vertere for the medieval and classical period.

And a quick google pulls more or less the same up.

http://www.latin-dictionary.net/definition/38...rti-versus

I am still not sure. It could mean to awe or some type of psychological impact or still could be physical impact as well. Just not sure we can take the word stupefy for anything more specific.

RPM
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been fascinated by the whole of this discussion and would now like to put in my tuppence-worth re the Latin text about the effect of Benkin's shooting. The word 'contusos' (I agree 'contunsos' is a misprint) means something stronger than just 'bruised', more like 'pounded' or 'battered' and the sentence says that the enemy were battered even though they were not wounded. The phrase 'in fugam vertere' is a common one, meaning 'put to flight', used by Livy and Tacitus among others, not 'destroy in flight', (for which the ablative case would be needed). I would take it that the enemy were so astonished/stupefied by the force and number of the arrows (Benkin is described as running round the walls shooting from different directions), even though not wounded, that they panicked and fled. Benkin is described as being huge so perhaps he had a particularly powerful bow and very heavy arrows.

Hope this helps a little.
Neil

N Melville
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both interpretations (physical bruising/pounding scaring them or being mentally overpowered by the sight) could prove useful for interpreting what effect the longbow had on armored soldiers. We should keep in mind that the text is a 12th century one, here Benkin is described as a strong archers but it could reasonable be claimed that such strength was the average of archers from the later period.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:
Both interpretations (physical bruising/pounding scaring them or being mentally overpowered by the sight) could prove useful for interpreting what effect the longbow had on armored soldiers. We should keep in mind that the text is a 12th century one, here Benkin is described as a strong archers but it could reasonable be claimed that such strength was the average of archers from the later period.

There is very little to suggest that 12th century combat archers were, on average, any weaker than later archers. We have texts and extant examples from all over the world telling us the strength of various warbows and they are surprisingly consistent. The warbows used by 14th-15th century European archers were not extraordinary. There might have been a few more archers that could use the very heaviest bows but they were the exception, not the norm, and don't affect the overall figures.

Last edited by Dan Howard on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Effectiveness of ranged weaponry against armour?
Page 4 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: