Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Different types of Viking Axes. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Svyatoslav Pushkar

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Different types of Viking Axes.         Reply with quote

Niels Just Rasmussen wrote:
Svyatoslav Pushkar wrote:
very interesting axe too

Yeah the Hårby Axe from Sweden has a backwards spike, which is unusual. So it's from late viking age to early middle age period.

About the Rosenlund type axe:
So 3 of this type from Denmark and now 1 from Sweden:
I found out that they recently (2013) at Birka, they had found an axe and sword from a chamber grave (as the Rosenlund chamber grave, that also had a sword and this type of axe and both from around 900 AD).
Source: [with axe and bend sword] https://kristinafaxen.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/yxa-och-svard-spektakulart-fynd-pa-birka/

Big image: https://birkaproject.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/f-95-yxa.jpg
That is a really long necked one like the Rosenlund axe, but this example is very long downwards (more like the Over Hornbæk one).

As usual no size informations from archaeologist when reporting their finds, neither sword nor axe.

Niels Just Rasmussen thank you so much for the ispiration. That Harby axe has some answers for me - course i can see an sickness. In teknology case its very important - because of load point on the neck. I want to show you some baltic region viking axe from Kurzeme, Grobiņas novads. That axe is broken near a blade - it was in cruel fight I suppose.

Attachment: 82.35 KB
DSC08716.JPG

Attachment: 499.66 KB
[ Download ]
Svyatoslav Pushkar

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Different types of Viking Axes.         Reply with quote

very interesting axe too

Yeah the Hårby Axe from Sweden has a backwards spike, which is unusual. So it's from late viking age to early middle age period.

I found out that they recently (2013) at Birka, they had found an axe and sword from a chamber grave (as the Rosenlund chamber grave, that also had a sword and this type of axe and both from around 900 AD).
Source: [with axe and bend sword] https://kristinafaxen.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/yxa-och-svard-spektakulart-fynd-pa-birka/

That is a really long necked one like the Rosenlund axe, but this example is very long downwards (more like the Over Hornbæk one).

As usual no size informations from archaeologist when reporting their finds, neither sword nor axe.

sorry - I meant Birka axe photo. Harby - its like this my replica.

Attachment: 50.13 KB
60.jpg

Svyatoslav Pushkar

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Different types of Viking Axes.         Reply with quote

very interesting axe too

sorry - I meant Birka axe photo. Harby - its like this my replica.

Some viking axes from Kurische Nehrung (now Latvia)

Attachment: 26.24 KB
PB080001 (3).JPG

Attachment: 464.12 KB
[ Download ]
Niels Just Rasmussen

Spotlight topics: 15

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Viking Axes.         Reply with quote

Thanks for providing the pictures.
Hårby axe is really interesting as transitional axe between Viking and Middle Age time (if it is dated correctly).
Your replica looks really massive (the problem is that we apparently don't have a view of the axe where we can see the thickness of the axe - Dane Axes for instance were very thin, so even with the big axe-blade, the axe would not be very heavy).

If it were this thick I wonder whether it was a development for combat with mail hauberks as more common on the battlefield.

The Latvian axe on the right is really special as being extremely narrow, yet having a very pronounced beard.

You would think the narrowness would almost compromise the strength of the weapon on impacts with harder objects, but perhaps hooking was the main issue and less weight of the axe would make for faster hooks?
We find it intact so it looks to have worked and be useful.
Svyatoslav Pushkar

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes - Harby was 450gr, a real Harby was lighter. The biggest dyneaxe was find in Upsala - 1124gr, so we can not say all of it was lifgtweight)

Attachment: 299.06 KB
[ Download ]
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Lindfors wrote:
Just throwing this in, Wulflund is making a really nice looking repro of a cross-axe:

http://www.wulflund.com/weapons/axes-poleweap...lica.html/

Nice find Harry, that is really an interesting looking piece and very reasonably priced.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Svyatoslav Pushkar

PostPosted: Tue 24 Mar, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

viking axe from Uppland

Attachment: 81 KB
post-36188-0-51117200-1392827261.jpg

Attachment: 22.96 KB
post-36188-0-85374700-1392827406.jpg

Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

viking axe from Uppland

Beautiful axe you have made. Big Grin
What are the measurements you decided for in your replica?
Svyatoslav Pushkar

PostPosted: Thu 26 Mar, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! Nothing, just weight, that paint is from an old book.
Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Sat 16 May, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have acquired Anne Pedersen's book, so I have some of the lengths for the different axes:

Here follow the measurements of the special long blade axes:

A) Long bladed axes with the blade rounded at top and bottom.
The Trelleborg axe is 16,5 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and the cutting edge itself is 32 cm.

The Over Hornbæk axe is 15 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and cutting edge is 22 cm (she states that a fragment of he cutting edge was broken off before deposition).

A find I didn't know about is from Ulbjerg. Here its 13 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and the cutting edge itself is ~17 cm

B) Long bladed axes with long necks and upper blade edge with a narrow point
The Rosenlund axe is 18,5 cm from butt-end to cutting edge (very long) and the cutting edge is 15,5 cm.

Similar to the Rosenlund axe is the one from Teterow, Mecklenburg with a 21,4 cm cutting edge and an a Axe from Visnevo/Wiskiauten with a 17,5 cm cutting edge.
Then there should be a similar type axe from Akebäck Parish on Gotland (no measurements given) and two axes with 28,8 cm and 20,5cm "long axe heads" (unknown if she means cutting edge here?) from Lunow in Brandenburg.

Similar axes as well from Luban near Poznan and one from a collection in Lund, Scania. No measurements given for those.

C) Two other axes that are fairly corroded can be included in this group.
A axe with 14,0 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and cutting edge of 17,9 cm from Lindholm Høje and an axe from Dolmer (both in Jutland) with 13 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and 13 cm long cutting edge.

That actually gives 6 such axes from Denmark (7 when the one from Lund is included in old Danish territory). 4 from Jutland, 1 from Funen and 1 from Zealand. Then a wholly new find from Birka and one from Gotland. So that's in all 9 from Scandinavia.
I don't know if Anne Pedersen listed all finds from the rest of Europe, but she gives only 5 non-Scandinavian examples. If this is the case it would be hard to call the axe "eastern".

Last edited by Niels Just Rasmussen on Sat 16 May, 2015 9:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Sat 16 May, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Viking Axes.         Reply with quote

The axes with a very pronounced concave hooking area (thus very slender neck) seems definitely to be an primarily "Eastern Type" axe.
Only one axe - of the type you showed on the right in your attached picture of a Latvian find - has been found in Denmark (on the Island of Langeland, Bogøvej grave BB); but a similar axe have been found in Birka and a few on Gotland.
Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Wed 27 May, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have acquired Anne Pedersen's book, so I have some of the lengths for the different axes:

Here follow the measurements of the special long blade axes:

A) Long bladed axes with the blade rounded at top and bottom.
The Trelleborg axe is 16,5 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and the cutting edge itself is 32 cm.

The Over Hornbæk axe is 15 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and cutting edge is 22 cm (she states that a fragment of he cutting edge was broken off before deposition).

A find I didn't know about is from Ulbjerg. Here its 13 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and the cutting edge itself is ~17 cm

B) Long bladed axes with long necks and upper blade edge with a narrow point
The Rosenlund axe is 18,5 cm from butt-end to cutting edge (very long) and the cutting edge is 15,5 cm.

Similar to the Rosenlund axe is the one from Teterow, Mecklenburg with a 21,4 cm cutting edge and an a Axe from Visnevo/Wiskiauten with a 17,5 cm cutting edge.
Then there should be a similar type axe from Akebäck Parish on Gotland (no measurements given) and two axes with 28,8 cm and 20,5cm "long axe heads" (unknown if she means cutting edge here?) from Lunow in Brandenburg.

Similar axes as well from Luban near Poznan and one from a collection in Lund, Scania. No measurements given for those.

C) Two other axes that are fairly corroded can be included in this group.
A axe with 14,0 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and cutting edge of 17,9 cm from Lindholm Høje and an axe from Dolmer (both in Jutland) with 13 cm from butt-end to cutting edge and 13 cm long cutting edge.

That actually gives 6 such axes from Denmark (7 when the one from Lund is included in old Danish territory). 4 from Jutland, 1 from Funen and 1 from Zealand. Then a wholly new find from Birka and one from Gotland. So that's in all 9 from Scandinavia.
I don't know if Anne Pedersen listed all finds from the rest of Europe, but she gives only 5 non-Scandinavian examples. If this is the case it would be hard to call the axe "eastern".

So thanks to Bartek Strojek I can show some drawings of the Eastern (Wendish) long bladed axes. [Lunow, Brandenburga, Teterow, Dallmin, Alt Tellin].
Type III in this source: http://asmund-pgd.blogspot.dk/2013/11/typolog...rzeja.html

Wonder if Anne Pedersen meant two axes from Lunow AND Brandenburg (not Lunow in/at Brandenburg, or perhaps just a misspelling). It gives us pictures of 5 such axes from this area.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Different types of Viking Axes.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: