Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Collin D

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Current status of my sort of early part of the mid 14th century kit, mostly inspired by German effigies... The friend I had help me get it on never had before so the shoulders are too low and the COP isn't on 100% right, but it gets the idea across. Unfortunately my head is kind of a funny shape so I couldn't fit my coif under the helm with arming cap, and I don't have the money for the custom bascinet that I'd eventually like. Also need to decide what I want to do with the arms (extend the maille or get vambraces), considering schynbalds, and I'm going to quilt the cuisses tighter, but this is about as good as it'll be for a while.

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome, of course!
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Collin D wrote:

Current status of my sort of early part of the mid 14th century kit, mostly inspired by German effigies... The friend I had help me get it on never had before so the shoulders are too low and the COP isn't on 100% right, but it gets the idea across. Unfortunately my head is kind of a funny shape so I couldn't fit my coif under the helm with arming cap, and I don't have the money for the custom bascinet that I'd eventually like. Also need to decide what I want to do with the arms (extend the maille or get vambraces), considering schynbalds, and I'm going to quilt the cuisses tighter, but this is about as good as it'll be for a while.

What sort of social status are you going for? Nobility, freemen, or serf/levy? Because in the mid 14th century on toward, there is huge variety of difference in equipment and between what person would afford a wear in this period with tons on overlap, this was the high point of the transitional age of armor from mostly mail to mostly plate and what you are wearing doesn't incidate much of anything as far as social status. Armors were experimentals with metric ton of concepts then, lot adaptations of battle tested armor designs mixed with new ideas.
Collin D

PostPosted: Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip Dyer wrote:

What sort of social status are you going for? Nobility, freemen, or serf/levy? Because in the mid 14th century on toward, there is huge variety of difference in equipment and between what person would afford a wear in this period with tons on overlap, this was the high point of the transitional age of armor from mostly mail to mostly plate and what you are wearing doesn't incidate much of anything as far as social status. Armors were experimentals with metric ton of concepts then, lot adaptations of battle tested armor designs mixed with new ideas.

Sort of a generic wealthy-ish freeman or maybe very minor nobility type look, hence the lack of bling and glamour. It's actually part of a series of kits I'm working on, basing soldiers from the Medieval fantasy Song of Ice and Fire series on historical versions (this will eventually be an unlanded man-at-arms in service to House Manderly). So since I'm not portraying a particular character for living history or some such, I'm not too terribly concerned with being very specific.

That's actually some of why I haven't done the arms or decided on schynbalds: I don't want to accidentally end up with pieces that would befit someone of a significantly higher status without having my whole kit match, so I'm working on researching that some.
Boris R.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

*EDIT

dammit I read that show us your t*ts and carcasses

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been reading this great thread for years and taking inspiration for my own collection, and finally I have an outfit worth posting. This is what I wore to Gen Con in Indianapolis last weekend:

Going for a 1350s Germany transitional look. This was taken late in the day so the spaulders were slipping down my arms, and I just noticed my aventail is flipped... Whoops.

Not sure if a solid breastplate is strictly correct for this period, but many effigies of this period look like they have some kind of tapered torso armor under their surcoats so I asked Allan Senefelder to make me his interpretation of a possible early breastplate.

Last edited by Kuo Xie on Tue 04 Aug, 2015 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Collin D wrote:

Looking quite good I think. For North European mid-level nobility you can easily get away with a kettle hat. At least in Scandinavia, severly influenced by north German impulses, we were very attached to our kettle hats. There are late 15th century illustrations of knights in full gothic armour with kettle hats. Fresh air, scenery, fish smell ... Why want a bascinet? ;-)
Tibor Szebenyi

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My kit of a 17th century armoured Mamluk cavalryman (or Ottoman sipahi). Armour is self-made. And a Mamluk civilian outfit.

Attachment: 174.57 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 198.64 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 183.85 KB
3.jpg

Attachment: 184.48 KB
4.jpg

mamluk.webnode.hu
Jamie Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's been awhile but heres my new Harness from ASH. It's based off the Hungerford effigy but with a Brig. The Helm is a fluted Sallet with a visor from the Trevanion Sallet.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nicely done kit!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
William P

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jamie Wilson wrote:
It's been awhile but heres my new Harness from ASH. It's based off the Hungerford effigy but with a Brig. The Helm is a fluted Sallet with a visor from the Trevanion Sallet.

where do i begin.. for one that lovely talhoffer esque pollaxe

and the sallet with its very unusual profile and visor is really interesting to see because of how unusual it is to see both high topped sallets , and full face visors.
Theo Squires

PostPosted: Fri 07 Aug, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great kits Kuo, Tibor and Jamie! I particularly like your two kits Tibor. While I'm not familiar with Mamluk armour/clothing of the time, they look very convincing.
Gábor Benko

PostPosted: Sun 09 Aug, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

Very nice kits Tibor and Jamie, I think they show really well, how much energy you've invested in them Happy

Jamie, as the second picture shows, your neck is free, so if I were you, I would think about getting some defensive stuff there Happy

Tibor, I'm really happy to see a nice kit from Hungary, and ny oppinion is the fact that you made it for yourself gives a great value for it, so congratulations! Happy

I've made some progression with my third quarter of the fourteenth century (cca. 1350-1370) hungarian knight kit, which I want to show you guys Happy (the maille /aventail, shirt, gauntlets/ is self made, I've made it with one of my good freinds...)

It's not complete yet, but now at least I could wear it... For short term, splinted arm harness is currently in progress, and I'm going to attach a few more row to it. I'll also get a pair of greaves for a more complete leg defense. For long term, I'm planning to get hourglass gauntlets and more bod defense (CoP likely)

"Usque ad finem"
David Evans

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Sep, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: The latest look         Reply with quote

This is my latest look, sometime around 1610-ish. I need a new hat, the hanger and girdle have finally been replaced and my new bigger, longer at about 64", musket is nearly ready :-)

Attachment: 199.81 KB
upload.jpg

Joshua McGee

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've updated the ole late 13th/early 14th century infantry kit with several new items. First, after searching for a darksword scabbard and not finding any as a standalone item, I just broke down (after like two days because I'm impatient) and made one myself. It's my first ever scabbard/belt project and really my first leatherworking experience. It was actually way easier than I thought it would be. Thanks to Leo Tod for the pics of different suspensions on his website and his French knot sword belt video for my inspiration! Also new: thin belt, bollock dagger, kettle hat, bag, axe, buckler. Heck yes y'all!

Now...time to get a spear...

Scabbard/belt pics

I think when I get some time I'm going to re-grip it.

As an aside: what sort of social class/monetary status would someone armed and dressed like this most likely be a part of?
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New arm harness and helm for historical lance jousting.

The helm is 6mm thick in places and weighs in at 8kgs

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Sep, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Philip,

Great start on a 14th century harness! I'd say you can go either way on the mail sleeves or vambraces. I'd go vambraces myself and some type of wisby gaunts but mail would work fine as well. Nice mail chausses and espauldiers! I worked on a pair for months but decided to switch them to a pisan.... I have a few different pairs of espauldiers for fun. I'd say if you decide after things are more or less done if you want schynbaulds do it. Upper level commoner or lower level knightly is about right as Collin said. Kettle hats seem pretty common in much of Europe for knights and such to commoners so not a bad place to be.

Kuo,

1350s is tricky. We have our first breastplates showing up in increasing numbers so that is something. I suspect pairs of plates are more common but as you say it is hard to tell. The surcoat covers the torso almost in every case. But that might be a way to go as well. Surcoats are a nice addition for this period. I like that you have a nice use of mail as well. Nice hat as well. Did Allan make the breastplate?

Tibor,

Awesome work! I am not as well verses with Ottoman armour but have had the fortune of working with some and seeing a fair number of examples. Very nice works. Great looking hard and soft kit. You have a great eye for detail. The torso armour in particular must have been some major time to make. Very nice job!

Jamie,

Neat later 15th century harness. Looks like you have some great pieces in your current harness. I like the combination brigandine with the brigandine spaulders. Are those the English style gauntlets you see in the effigies? I notices a number of those while living in England and looking at effigies. How do you like them? I figure they must be good protection as they are very solid over the fingers. I think some mail voiders and at the throat might be a good addition to compliment your current look.That is a very nice helmet, did not see many of them when I was involved with later period reenactment.

Gabor,

Very cool. The last page we have two 14th century harnesses not doing the more common later 14th portrayal. Mail making is a major time investment so that is indeed very impressive. After my first shirt of mail I said I'd never do it again. I built one for a friend not long after for some crazy reason. Working on a pisan now. Very neat gauntlets. Greaves and a pair of plates would be good additions for sure. Sounds like once you get this all done it will be a very nice harness. Well done!

David,

Very nice kit. You have some very nice soft kit and the Musket is very nice. When I was in the UK we had a few local demonstrations a bit later than your impression but reminds me of the items we'd put out at the museum to show people the arms and armour we had from the period. Very fun times!

Joshua,

Awesome! Far too few commoner impressions for that time frame. And for a first attempt at a scabbard you have done a remarkable job on that. Spears are fun but that picture of you with the axe is really cool. I have been studying the equipment of commoners of the 14th and 15th centuries lately and it has been interesting to see what type of items they have.

Rod,

As always looking good. Neat new helmet. Always nice to see what your current harnesses are. Those feathers are really a nice touch!

So cool to see so many awesome kits and harnesses.

RPM
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Joshua McGee" wrote:
I've updated the ole late 13th/early 14th century infantry kit

Hi Joshua, your kit looks good. It's well fitted and it has a lot of nice attention to detail, and the simple universal hand axe is kind of an overlooked weapon with most medievalists.

"Randall Moffett" wrote:
1350s is tricky. We have our first breastplates showing up in increasing numbers so that is something. I suspect pairs of plates are more common but as you say it is hard to tell. The surcoat covers the torso almost in every case. But that might be a way to go as well. Surcoats are a nice addition for this period. I like that you have a nice use of mail as well. Nice hat as well. Did Allan make the breastplate?

Thanks Randall, the coat-of-plates and surcoat is my next project, but I need to do more research on heraldry first. The helm in your profile pic was a big inspiration for the design I wanted. I got mine secondhand from William Frisbee on this forum, and I think it was originally Ukrainian made. Arming coat and hose are from Revival Clothing. The mail is from AllBestStuff with a lot of my own tailoring. Breastplate is from Allan Senefelder, and the other limb armors are a mix of Allan's work and pieces from Mad Matt's Armory. I also have some splinted cuisses/knees that are missing from the pic as I haven't worked out an ideal suspension system yet. Here it is at a sweltering hot Bristol Ren Faire last month:
Joshua McGee

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Kuo, the same is true of your kit. Would you say that the all best stuff mail is pretty decent for the price? It looks good in your picture.
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Mon 28 Sep, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua McGee wrote:
Thank you Kuo, the same is true of your kit. Would you say that the all best stuff mail is pretty decent for the price? It looks good in your picture.

Thanks, the All Best Stuff riveted mail is affordable and I would recommend it but it does have its issues. As it comes from the seller, it is basically a t-shirt untapered tube shape and will need hand tailoring to fit and move correctly. The rings in the original garment were pretty solid in terms of construction, but the loose rings and rivets I ordered for tailoring purposes were middling to poor. With the loose rings I would often find rivet holes that were punched way off-center, so when you clamped in the rivet it would burst out the side of the overlap. About 30% of the loose rings were defective, which was pretty annoying. The rings won't stand up to a close scrutiny either, as they are machine-stamped compared to the streamlined shape of original mail rings. But, all things considered it's a good buy as long as you understand the need for a bit of hand-work.
Gábor Benko

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua

I really like your kit Joshua, good to see such a kit, while as Randall said, it's quite unique Happy I'm really impressed by the scabbard too!

Rod

Really impressive and beautiful jousting kit, so congratulations!

Kuo

Nice kit and I'm looking forward to see more pics from you Happy

Randall

Thank you for the kind words and good work to the pisan! Wink My reenactment group is doing a King's Court reenactment, from the time of Louis I the Great (1342-1382), king of Hungary, Croatia, Poland etc. and I'm portraying a "knight of the king" miles aulae regni . That''s why I have aimed for the period of 1350-1375 harness. For the earlier years I could be a wealthy knight with it, and for the last years I could be a second born, who inherited armour and don't have money for a new, but searching his luck in the king's court. That's why I've decided to order splinted (or composite while the shoulder and elbow pieces will be plate) arm harness and I'm planning to change my leg defense also a bit to this composite way.

I have also made some progression, but with my soft kit, so I"M showing to you guys two pictures wich I"ve take a month ago, when my clothes were finsihed. The cotehardie is from velvet, and the chaperon is wool. I've used fancy materials because like I said, my character is a member of the wealthier classes. It's still in progress, I'm planning to get a bollock dagger and a kidney pouch and of course a pair of garters in the future.

Attachment: 30.14 KB
soft-kit1.jpg
Soft kit 1

Attachment: 30.54 KB
soft-kit2.jpg
Soft kit 2

"Usque ad finem"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 90 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: