Go to page Previous  1, 2

There's the vest in the Museo de Armerķa de Alava, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Basque Autonomous Region, Spain. Unfortunately the provenance is questioned.

[ Linked Image ]
Thanks for all the great info gentlemen.

I've sent an email regarding that scale. Hopefully I might be able to acquire some dimensions.

Thanks all.
Found this on the net:

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/media/cache/m...allery.jpg
Henrik Zoltan Toth wrote:
Found this on the net:

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/media/cache/m...allery.jpg

You can't really use these kinds of illustrations to tell whether something is made of metal or leather or cloth. There are only five colours in the palette. The woman's skirt is the same colour as the knight's mail armour. Does that mean that it is made of iron?
Another caution is that this is presumably an illustration of the Biblical Massacre of the Innocents, so there might be unrealistic details to make the soldiers look "archaic" or "Roman".

Matthew
Often you see the heroes wearing mail and the "evil foreigner" wearing scale/lamellar. If scale armour is meant to indicate the foreigner then this can conversely be used to argue that the locals did not wear scale.
Mart Shearer wrote:
There's the vest in the Museo de Armerķa de Alava, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Basque Autonomous Region, Spain. Unfortunately the provenance is questioned.

[ Linked Image ]

I'm even unsure from what continent it is :wtf:
It has some interesting features, sugesting it was not made just for display, but a proper examination needs time I don't have currently, and I've got first to end somehow the research on two really interesting medieval mail pieces :\
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: