Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help identify/date this sword! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Katie McCarthy

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Help identify/date this sword!         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently picked up what I believe might be a small sword (with what might be its original scabbard), possibly dating from the mid to late 1800s to maybe early 1900s. Would anyone like to confirm/correct, or offer better ideas about how old this sword might be? Certainly also open to ideas as to where this sword may have been made as well.

Rough measurements:

Overall length: 33 inches

Blade: 27 inches

Hilt: 6 inches

More description:

The blade itself is fairly light (maybe roughly 20 ounces?) and the point of balance is right where the blade meets the guard. I'm guessing the hilt was made with a fair amount of brass and seems to be very sturdily made, no rattling when handled; because of this I'm fairly confident it's full tang. The two rings sitting right behind the guard can comfortably fit my fore and middle fingers (pictured below).

The pommel is entirely smooth on top and I don't see any evidence of it being peened, so possibly threaded on? It does not look like it would come apart very easily at all without the help of some heavy-duty tools.

The leather scabbard has a brass locket (I've heard this called a throat too?) and matching chape; the locket has a raised "button" that I'm guessing could've been used as an attachment point from scabbard to belt + harness.
Some pictures:

[img][/img]

Lastly, I should mention that I have done some light cleaning with soap+sponge and fine-grain sandpaper to remove surface rust. I have not done any metal polishing, so there is still some pitting on the blade itself.

Thanks in advance.

Attachment: 471.84 KB
SwordHandleFront.png
closer view of hilt, from front

Attachment: 495.63 KB
SwordCloseupofBack.png
closer view, back of guard

Attachment: 474.83 KB
SwordPoint.png
point and end of scabbard

Attachment: 489.69 KB
SwordHand.png
rings fit fingers comfortably

Attachment: 484.96 KB
SwordFullLength.png
full length
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Help identify/date this sword!         Reply with quote

I've never seen this type of smallsword. But the round guard looks great.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that's an interesting piece. I actually have seen disk guards like that on late period smallswords, but never that kind of grip!

On first glance I'd say it's a composite, comprising pieces scavenged from a couple of different swords and maybe a grip made of whole cloth, so to speak, probably built for decorative or theatrical use. Late 19th to early 20th Century seems like a plausible build date, but I couldn't say anything about the age of the individual components - except that I'd be very surprised if the grip and pommel were not significantly newer than the rest of it.

That said, I could just as well be entirely wrong about this.Happy

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Katie McCarthy

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
Wow, that's an interesting piece. I actually have seen disk guards like that on late period smallswords, but never that kind of grip!

On first glance I'd say it's a composite, comprising pieces scavenged from a couple of different swords and maybe a grip made of whole cloth, so to speak, probably built for decorative or theatrical use. Late 19th to early 20th Century seems like a plausible build date, but I couldn't say anything about the age of the individual components - except that I'd be very surprised if the grip and pommel were not significantly newer than the rest of it.

That said, I could just as well be entirely wrong about this.Happy

I have a feeling you might be right about this sword being a composite, the grip is definitely the newest-looking part of the piece. The grip and pommel are very smooth compared to the disk guard itself which is just covered in scratches near the top of the blade and some odd discoloring near the finger-rings. I'll see if I can take some better pictures of those areas, but in the meantime I'm thinking about searching for someone to appraise it in person. Thanks for your help!
Casey S.

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks composite to me. Grip and Pommel look 20th century, whats left of the knuckle guard 19th century, and the blade probably 19th or possibly even much older. Can you post some close ups of the blade?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help identify/date this sword!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic