a wee little seax
This started as a billet end that looked just big enough to forge something out of... one should never let good steel go to waste.

The blade is 1084/15n20 twist, wrought iron, and a W1 edge, 2 5/8" long. The handle is some very nice boxwood I traded for last year, sheath has bronze fittings with brass rivets and rings. Overall length is exactly 6 inches. This is about as small as I can make a seax...

I'm asking $175 for this one.
A wee little seax
Can you show me a photo of how that seax looks like when handled for comparison?
Re: A wee little seax
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Can you show me a photo of how that seax looks like when handled for comparison?

I'm working on it, having technical difficulties with my camera.
A wee little seax
Now I see it. Thanks for that. ;)
This one has been setting around too long, I'm dropping the price to $150.
A wee little seax
A seax this size is quite expensive. :eek:
Re: A wee little seax
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
A seax this size is quite expensive. :eek:

When you consider the time that it requires to weld up, forge, grind, heat-treat, polish, and etch the blade, inlet the tang, shape, and polish the handle, then wet-form, emboss, and make the metal fittings for the sheath... you're getting a bargain... and I'm certainly not getting rich.

If you think you can make one of equal quality for a lesser price, by all means go for it. Otherwise, I suggest you keep it to yourself.
Shahril wrote
Quote:
A seax this size is quite expensive. Eek!

Shahril, haven't we been here before with the sword ? You may think it is expensive, but there are plenty of others (me included) that feel this is a very reasonable price indeed for this piece.

There are plenty of aspects of this piece to comment on whether you like it or not, the maker will find the comments useful, however just to comment on the price is a rather pointless thing to do and gains none of us anything.

Tod
$175.00 for that? A bargain.
Oh yes, this is a great price for this seax!

I am wondering if inscribed runes would be historically appropriate for this type of seax. I am not sure that I have seen non-inlaid lettering on sexes.

This really is a super-cool little knife.
Quote:
I am wondering if inscribed runes would be historically appropriate for this type of seax. I am not sure that I have seen non-inlaid lettering on sexes.

There is a French sax that has incised runes (I'll have to do some serious digging for the image, but I have it somewhere), but it is an earlier style than this one. My main reason for the runes is I believe strongly that a hand-made knife should be marked by the maker, and runes seemed the best way for a knife of this style and period. I'm still experimenting with inlay, it is a challenging art....
I like this a lot. Reminds me of medieval illustrations of pen-knives being used in calligraphy and what not, although it's obviously a pre-medieval design, but it's more 'timeless' than that so good work :)
This one is sold, and on it's way to it's new home...:)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: