Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Book recommendations for the Scottish Border Reivers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Book recommendations for the Scottish Border Reivers?         Reply with quote

I'm finishing up "The Steel Bonnets" by George MacDonald Fraser (one of the finest English language writers in my opinion) and it's got me curious to learn more about the border reivers. Fraser has a very short section on the reivers' arms and armor, basically stating that they preferred lightweight leather sewn with plates, tall leather boots and light mail to the more common breast-and-back of the time. I'd like to know more about the gear of the period, and would appreciate any book recommendations on the subject.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try the Osprey book series. I know they have at least one title on the Border Reivers and there may be another.

The Steel Bonnets is a very good book but tends to be a little repetitious. It is also difficult to keep all those "Watts" and "Willies" separated. But, a worthwhile read on the subject.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a book from Alistair Moffat called the "The Reivers: a story of the Border Reivers" so far not bad but haven't read as much as I'd have liked to.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Book recommendations for the Scottish Border Reivers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic