Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

I just got in my Albion Prince. Beautiful sword, made for cutting and thrusting. Went with sort of an antiqued purple grip.

Thanks Mike,

John Burley
This is probably going to be my last sword for some time to come. Anyways, here are a few pictures of my loop-hilt smallsword courtesy of Erik Stevenson. Its almost finished. :cool:

Stephen, I'm very impressed with that. I'm already a fan of Erik, so that's no surprise. When you receive it, please report on it with lots of photos.
Stephen, That's awesome! :cool: ! Is the blade an antique or just antiqued?

Gaaa! Why does Eric have to start tapering off just when I'm ready to start collecting! :mad: :cry: :cry: :D I totally love the floral side-sword he did for you Nathan.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Stephen, I'm very impressed with that. I'm already a fan of Erik, so that's no surprise. When you receive it, please report on it with lots of photos.

Hey Nathan,

Thanks. Will do.
Nate C. wrote:
Stephen, That's awesome! ! Is the blade an antique or just antiqued?

Nate,

The blade is an antique.
:cool:
Stephen that pommel work is amazing, bezeled like a cut stone is really unique...I actually havnt seen anything like that. very nice!!!
Loop Hilt Small Sword
Robert W. Betten wrote:
Stephen that pommel work is amazing, bezeled like a cut stone is really unique

I see that the loop is also bezeled. Robert's comparison to a cut stone seems very apt, as this looks like a fine piece of jewely. A Gentleman's jewelry. Stephen - congratulations. I wish I could see some of Erik Stevenson's art in person, rather than relying on photos!
Some fine work shown in this thread,
Stephen,
One of your reference pics for the ES sword ,did it have a green handle,?
i have one on file that may be from the albums here or one of the auction sites,wonderfull work too,
hopefully in a few weeks-month i may be adding my own newest pieces to the thread,
Stephen, I've never had an interest in the small sword but some of your swords are really beautiful.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Stephen, I've never had an interest in the small sword but some of your swords are really beautiful.
Hey Patrick,

Thanks. :cool:

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
One of your reference pics for the ES sword ,did it have a green handle?
Hey Lee,

Correct, here are some pictures of the sword. It was auctioned on Ebay.
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/6587.html

Here are four loop-hilts with similar faceting.

Robert W. Betten wrote:
Stephen that pommel work is amazing, bezeled like a cut stone is really unique...I actually haven't seen anything like that. very nice!!!
Hi Robert,

The diamond shape faceting was pretty popular form of hilt decoration during the last quarter of the 18th century. Erik's done an amazing job at recreating it!

Steve Grisetti wrote:
I wish I could see some of Erik Stevenson's art in person, rather than relying on photos!
Steve,

I'm with you there. The same goes for all of the other great swords that we get to see online.
My last sword was a DN-1506.

Sturdy sword, very light, close balance, and despite it's length, it still works very well with one hand.

The full length shot isn't very good, it does however give you some sense about it's dimensions, knowing that the grip (not the full hilt, just the grip) is 9 inches.

Attachment: 73.86 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 92.17 KB
[ Download ]
Stephen,
Yep the first pic you showed is the one i was thinking,the other pics are great too,Eljay sure does some fine work,
Thomas,
Welcome aboard chap,one of the DN series, :cool: fine looking sword too, ;),
My last two swords were Cervenkas...

ks
Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Stephen,

Thomas,
Welcome aboard chap,one of the DN series, :cool: fine looking sword too, ;),

Thanks Lee. Been lurking for a while now, after SFI and AFI, I figured I should start posting here aswell. :)

And indeed, one of the reasons I chose the 1506, is because it is from the DN line. Don was a good man, with a good heart. When he left us, he left a big gap on SFI, and several others forums too I suppose. I figured if I was going to get an Atrim, I wanted on from the DN line, and when the 1506 showed up, with a blade and hilt length I prefer and a close COP, it was an easy decision. :)
If I remember correctly the Sempach was my last purchase: http://www.myArmoury.com/pat_swor_alb_semp.html?10

Probably the last one for awhile too. :(
Update: My newest "last sword" purchase !

I picked up this Scottish 'Irish' hilted sabre blade sword at the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show last week !

The hilt turned out to be a creation of maker E.B. Erickson (Eljay), which was mounted up to a sabre blade of c.18th century vintage, or there abouts (not by Eljay's hand).

Vince Evans & I suspected the hilt to be of modern make as there were a few small tell-tale signs of modern day welding, etc., but it was wonderful to findout that our suspicions of who the likely maker might be were true !
(also its price-tag of $895.00 showed that the dealer had a good idea what he had, too)

It's a wonderful piece and a fine addition to Mac's ever growing baskethilt collection !

Attachment: 46.2 KB
my vegas basket.jpg

Attachment: 82.79 KB
Mac basket Vegas.JPG

Attachment: 87.6 KB
Mac basket Vegas 3.JPG

Hey all,
Here's my latest aquisition; an English baskethilt from the early 1700s. It was an eBay UK find, and was purchased in November 2004. I didn't post earlier because, (a) the hilt had some crude spot weld repairs that I wanted to fix before showing it, and (b) I just got the new camera up and running.

The blade is 30" long, se, with one narrow fuller, and appears to be the original length. Both sides of the blade have the running fox and SH of Samuel Harvey.

I've seen this style of hilt dated as early as the 1690s, but since Harvey was around in the 1700s, the 18th century seems like a better date for this sword.

The grip is of brass, made of two halves and copper (?) brazed together. The grip is decorated with the emblem and motto of the 23rd Regt. of Foot (Prince of Wales' Own). While I've seen this type of grip on English S-hilt half basket hangers (there's one in Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution), I've never seen it on this type of hilt.
However, while the sword was dismounted, I examined the grip and it's wooden core, and it all appears old. I'm still not sure if the grip is an old replacement, or whether the sword was born this way, but I'm leaving it as is.

The only major fault is that the sword was overcleaned by a previous owner. But it's an authentic relic of the 1700s, so I won't squawk too much!

--ElJay

Attachment: 6.7 KB
e1700siden.jpg

Attachment: 6.02 KB
e1700frnt.jpg

That's a nice addition to your collection, Eljay ..... Congrats again !
(I added it to your Antique Album)

Must be pretty cool to be able to pickup a piece that has a few problems knowing you can fix them !
(not to mention your knowledge of old swords when shopping :-)

thanks for sharing, Mac

P.S. Eljay .... do you remember what year you made that 'Irish' hilt I picked up in Vegas ?

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Tue 08 Feb, 2005 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
the last two i purchased we're the viceroy and regent from albion. i'm still waiting on the regent though. cant wait till it gets here :D
I just received pictures from Erik of the completed sword. :cool:

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Page 7 of 75

Jump to: