Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom A&A Edward III Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Custom A&A Edward III         Reply with quote

Alright guys so I have to confess, the custom Edward III I ordered turns out to not have a grip made entirely of beef jerky after all. What it does have is a noticeable lack of all that nasty gold. Happy So after having seen the pictures what do you guys think? Like the gold or the silver one better?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chuck Perino

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the steel version better....Although I can see why King Edward would like the "Bling-Bling" version with the gold Razz
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Not beef jerky after all!         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Alright guys so I have to confess, the custom Edward III I ordered turns out to not have a grip made entirely of beef jerky after all. What it does have is a noticeable lack of all that nasty gold. Happy So after having seen the pictures what do you guys think? Like the gold or the silver one better?

Personally I even find the steel one a bit too fussy, but I agree it looks better than the other. However, why bother with a historical sword at all if you don't want it to look like the original?
I was a bit puzzled. Did you say that the gold tarnished? I'm not familiar with that process (thought it was impossible). Are you sure it isn't some sort of patination of the bronze coming/showing through?
regards
Geoff
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I MOSTLY liked the original. As for the gold tarnishing perhaps that isn't exactly the right word, and I don't know exactly what was going on there but I can say that it wasn't mirror bright by the time I sent it and it was highly polished looking when it arrived.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the gold better, hands-down.

Did anyone expect any less from me? Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice sword you have with the steel, Russ... I probably prefer that to the gold gilding. The harder question for me would be whether I wanted steel or just plain bronze for the fittings, though. I like both in the proper place.... Happy Since I can't buy one, though, I guess it hardly matters... lol
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the gold for show the steel for go.
The gold one is quite nice, but I wonder how much the balance was thrown off when you got the steel fittings. You made a passing mention about the POB moving towards the tip of the blade, but how did it feel in drill compared to the gold gilt example?

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad, of course I didn't expect anything different from you ... :P After the other thread where we talked about the fittings I thought you would find this one sort of amusing. Happy I did mention something about my silver and black Arms and Armor pieces in that thread to if I remember. Happy

As for everything moving out a little towards the tip, that's true but it isn't enough to be very noticeable to be honest. Did I mention that this is one BIG sword? Happy

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Chad, of course I didn't expect anything different from you ... :P After the other thread where we talked about the fittings I thought you would find this one sort of amusing. Happy I did mention something about my silver and black Arms and Armor pieces in that thread to if I remember. Happy

My predictability shines again. Happy I've always liked the notion of the colorful surcoats, helmet crests, horse trappings, bright and shiny armor and swords of the past.

I have a silver and black themed sword (my DT 2142) and it's great. But I love the copper, silver and steel combination of my DT2150, the steel, bright bronze and black of the A&A Henry V, the steel, maroon liner, copper and rayskin of my basket hilt, and the ruddy bronze, steel and chocolate brown of my S4 too.

The A&A Edward III with golden fittings has long been at the top of my list. However, the Sovereign just might supplant it. If I bought the Sovereign, I'd probably replace my Henry V with it. (Anybody want to buy a bronze-hilted Henry V?)

So many swords, so little $$$$.......

...Sigh...

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Chad, if it's any consolation at all I believe your ancestors would agree with you rather then me. They weren't really in to understated or simple. They liked all the color and flash that they could put together. It must have been an exciting world when people watching at a tournament.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Byler wrote:
Nice sword you have with the steel, Russ... I probably prefer that to the gold gilding. The harder question for me would be whether I wanted steel or just plain bronze for the fittings, though. I like both in the proper place.... Happy Since I can't buy one, though, I guess it hardly matters... lol

In a moment of true weakness, I traded away one of these blades with bronze Duke of Urbino mounts.
Darryl Guertin had Craig run it up a few years ago. They are one handful of broad blade, cut like the dickens too.

I'm wondering if the dullness of the gold one Russ had might have been hazing of wax. Just a thought.

I wouldn't go with the gilded one for a using sword but it sure does look pretty. The fellow I traded the bronze fitted one to polished it up quite bright (I'm sure he'll be at it often) My BP in bronze still shines some but is getting darker with two years of handling.

One more thought on bronze, my blade has settled quite a bit into the cross, so it has been a boon to have the A&A thread thing going for the tang.

Great blade

GC
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great review, Russ. I've actually read it numerous times. The steel version sure is good eye-candy, but I'd go for the gold (pun intended Razz ). When it comes to historical accuracy, I tend to nit-pick. A&A's Edward III sword has been on my swords-I-must-have-before-I-die list for a few years, but at $830 the budget is currently saying no. Someday.
-Ted

Oh, and when I finally get mine and if you want to do another review of this sword, feel free to do some test cutting!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward would have prefered the gold version just for the simple fact that he could pawn it for more if he needed. The Great Crown of England alone was pawned from 1336 till 1345. I think when push came to shove he'd have probably taken a crow bar to battle if it suited him, he was one of those "hands on" kings....
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Great review, Russ. I've actually read it numerous times. The steel version sure is good eye-candy, but I'd go for the gold (pun intended Razz ). When it comes to historical accuracy, I tend to nit-pick. A&A's Edward III sword has been on my swords-I-must-have-before-I-die list for a few years, but at $830 the budget is currently saying no. Someday.
-Ted

Oh, and when I finally get mine and if you want to do another review of this sword, feel free to do some test cutting!

Thanks Edward, I know what you mean about wanting to keep things as true to the original as possible. I've got this whole silver and black collection going from the boys in Minnesota though, so I didn't want to mess with that. Happy It would be interesting to see if they've made changes since I handled those two...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom A&A Edward III
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic