Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Baron Scabbard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: The Baron Scabbard         Reply with quote

Today I was the fortunate… and very happy…. recipient of the famous Albion “White Box”. I managed to track its progress with Parcel Force (my thanks to Lee Watts for the tip) and managed to stay home for the day to receive it.

What can I say? The sword and scabbard are, together, absolutely incredible.

As Patrick has done such a fine job in reviewing the sword I will not add much here, apart from saying what everyone has already said—such a big sword, yet so light and responsive! I am genuinely pleased to have this as my first Albion sword— the sword is a marvel, the scabbard… well, more on that it a moment. God-willing there will be many more Albion products coming this way over the next years.

Now the scabbard… I have taken some preliminary photos which I will post to give a rough idea—I’m not really happy with them, but more will be forthcoming over the next week. Simply said one has to see this scabbard in the flesh to believe it—I struggle to convey how well Kevin and team have done in bringing it to life (so to speak).

The Stats

The scabbard is slim and tapering with a lenticular cross-section. It is covered with vegetable tanned calfskin, dyed to a rich, deep brown, almost black colour. It has an authentic laced integral belt system which is dyed to a warm chestnut colour, contrasting subtly with the brown of the over all scabbard.

One of the wonderful things about the Baron is, to quote Patrick, its “austere beauty”. The warm tones in the scabbard manage to soften that austerity without dispelling it completely.

There is a triangular section that rises above the cross at the throat of the scabbard (the throat along with the back seam is hand-stiched), and a U-shaped chape of steel at the tip. The chape itself has beautifully executed leaf shaped finials on the end of its arms. The belt has a steel buckle and strap end—both of which have been shown loving attention with regard to details (the terminus of the strap-end is in the likeness of an acorn).

The scabbard front has incised lines running parallel to its edges and some beautifully stamped patterns (trefoils and fleur de lis) around the top area surrounding the integral lacing. The cross on the swords pommel is also echoed on the triangular throat-section. As an example of Kevin’s artisanship there is even an incised pattern on the back of the scabbard on either side of the stitching!

The care and artistry that Kevin and the team put into this give the scabbard a “living” feeling—that personal touch that suggests an item that really belonged to someone. Nothing generic about this one at all.

The Idea

Originally, I had tried to describe a sword/scabbard combination that would fit naturally (and authentically) within a 13th/14th century setting. I wanted the scabbard to reflect the status of the blade itself, conveying the sense of a nobleman’s fighting sword—i.e. with appropriate ornamentation for a (lesser?) noble but without courtly flamboyance (this is the scabbard for the Baron after all). Peter Johnsson helped me come up with a rough “shopping list”, and Kevin and team adapted the idea as they did the work. They came up with something better than I had imagined.

I hope the photos will do justice to what is truly a work of art!

Thanks to Kevin and to all the Albion team who have excelled in every way with both sword and scabbard.

David

Attachment: 49.84 KB
Picture 01.jpg
Front view-- note the incision work and integral lacing.

Attachment: 41 KB
Picture 02.jpg
Rear view-- note the stitching and more incised work.

Attachment: 46.13 KB
Picture 004.jpg
Buckle and strap-end-- notice the acorn terminal to the strap-end.

Attachment: 17.72 KB
Picture 003.jpg
Chape-- you can see the beautifully done curled leaf (I think) finials.

Last edited by David McElrea on Thu 08 Jul, 2004 12:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
David McElrea

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an addendum, I took some beautiful photos yesterday, but in too large a resolution ( Mad drat!). I'm away this weekend, but when I am back-- assuming it's not dumping rain still-- I'll try to duplicate them and post them again.

David
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very Nice!!!!! Congratulations. (Not a huge surprise knowing who made the scabbard Laughing Out Loud )

It is probably more historically appropriate than what I got for mine, but I wanted an extremely simple (yet elegant ) look. Your scabbard may serve as an inspiration for a "more" period piece, should I decide to get one some day. I particularly like the cross potent on the scabbard's flaps.

On a more general note, were the war or campaign scabbards less ornamented and "flashy" than the usual nobleman's type, every-day use scabbards?

Congrats again,

Alexi
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A true masterwork. Very nice!
The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marvelous. Can't wait better photos. And designs for other swords. Enough said. I'm going back to look at the photos again.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a beautiful scabbard David!

It captures the period perfectly. Once again, I'm particularly impressed with Kevins metal work.

Now I have one more thing to add to the list!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Kevin Iseli
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would just like to say thank you to Mr. McElrea and everyone else for all your kind words. I am extremely pleased that you are satisfied with your new Baron and scabbard suite. It was, quite frankly, alot of fun to take some extra time and really show people what we are capable of. Let's see now... the chape is mild steel (as are all the fittings), the vertical lines were incised with a simple bone knife, and the trefoil and fleur de le were imprinted with hand-made stamps. The terminus on the belt end is representative of an acorn, a common decoration from that period.

I would also like to acknowledge Eric McHugh for his help, insights and always being just over my shoulder to help me nail down 'the little details', and Peter Johnson for his research, ideas and his most beautifully illustrated instructions. Without the guidance of these guys, I would scarcely know how a real scabbard was constructed.

Again, I thank David for his beautiful description of sword and scabbard, and everyone else on this thread for their compliments and encouragement. Your feedback is always appreciated. Thank you!

All my best,

Kevin Iseli
scabbard maker, Albion Armorers

Last edited by Kevin Iseli on Tue 13 Jul, 2004 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
David McElrea

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Quote:
On a more general note, were the war or campaign scabbards less ornamented and "flashy" than the usual nobleman's type, every-day use scabbards?

Hi Alexi,

Peter Johnsson (to whom thanks are also due) could probably answer this better than I could, but... a few thoughts anyway.

Looking at various medieval carvings one can see scabbards that are fairly conservative in design (the satues in Naumberg Cathedral, for instance). Albion's Next Gen/Museum Line scabbards (the Baron and Solingen for instance) seem to interpret those types as faithfully as anyone I have seen. The scabbards represented in the carvings/effigies in question are the scabbards of the nobility-- one at least a knight, the other a Count.

Other examples show some very ornate types-- many of the more elaborate designs are from the 15th century (rather than the 13th/14th centuries), but there are some that are roughly contemporary with the Baron et al.

Examples can be found in Oakeshott's "The Sword in the Age of Chivalry" (in which the Naumberg Cathedral images can also be seen). Here one can see examples of the more extravagant in Fig. 93-- a likeness of Sir Robert de Septvans from 1306; Fig. 118-- of Sir Robert de Bures from 1302 (not quite as ornate as the previous, but still). Some surviving scabbards also show a degree of ornamentation over and above the norm.

It may be a matter of interpretation (which means I don't know for sure Happy ) but it seems to me that the more ornate scabbards may represent either the "courtly dress" of the sword or the expression of the more flamboyant personalities. Either way, both types are shown. For me, I prefer the more staid, "down to business" look, with just enough decoration to make it clear that it is the sword/scabbard of a noble (they were a reasonably proud lot after all).

Having said that-- I wouldn't mind seeing the more highly decorative type scabbard on another sword (one a bit less stern than the Baron)... maybe Kevin and co. will go that direction with one of the other NG's some day. In the mean time I am most satisfied.

Hope that helps,

David

Last edited by David McElrea on Thu 08 Jul, 2004 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
David McElrea

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kevin Iseli wrote:
Quote:
I would just like to say thank you to Mr. McElrea...

Thank you Kevin for what you have made-- and for clarifying the components and details. You are a master craftsman!

Yours,

David

Editorial Note: I have modified the original post according to the info you have given (thistle head to acorn etc.) to avoid misinforming readers.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right, buying that.
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stunning! I have to envy you! Beautiful work on that scabbard. And I know the sword is every bit as fine. It gives me inspiration the next scabbard I will make for myself. Lucky man!
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,

You promised us more pics mate... Big Grin
David McElrea

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Taylor,

The last two weeks have gone the way of all "the best-laid plans of mice and men" Happy

I have been working on my income tax, had a few minor emergencies, and am now in Canada for a few weeks. In short, I haven't managed to get any more photos onto my computer-- I will try to do so as soon as we get back home (end of August). In the meantime... sorry. Happy

Cheers,

David
David McElrea

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Six months later and here we are.... Surprised Sorry for the wait every one-- since I first posted the earlier images you will hae seen a great deal more of Kevin's wonderful work, but I said I would post some more, so I will. I am still completely enamoured with sword and scabbard.

Attachment: 99.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 85.68 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 70.3 KB
[ Download ]
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Feb, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos David. That's a beautiful scabbard. I especially love the detail work. I have one of those on order too. Waaaaaay down on Kevin's list unfortunately.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: * applause sign on *         Reply with quote

As ever, Albion's staff has created another masterpiece. B-)
Sword and Scabbard compliment one another well ! and the
detailed work gives the package class, quality, and more
personality !
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately these high end scabbards will never fit into my budget. If I could it would be no question that this is the way to go.

That is beautiful Eek!

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Veary beautiful artwork there!         Reply with quote

That scabbard is gorgeous! Kevin gets two handclaps for that one. Ya know, normally I would have a real philisophical problem with paying more for the scabbard than for the sword. However, when one sees the work , attention and detail on a piece like this, I reconsider. David how is drawing the sword from a suspension like that? I know the Baron has a 35" or something blade. My Cashen Anduril is 36.5" and I have rigged up similar suspension with the nice scabbard Kevin Cashen made with the sword. Dawing the sword is a stretch however and you have to be really careful to make sure the draw is full and clears the scabbard mouth so you don't cut you left arm LOL.. It is a beautiful and servicable peice.

Joel

Attachment: 33.81 KB
Andurilcsabbard.jpg

David McElrea

PostPosted: Sun 20 Feb, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

The detail work really does it for me too-- it just "belongs". Kevin's attention to period-detail separates his work from everyone else's for me (although too many comments like this from too many people might mean longer waiting lists Eek! . Hmm....)

Congrats on putting your order in anyway... I think you will love it. Happy

Hi Joel,

The sword draws beautifully. I am of average height (5'10") and reach, and have had no problems clearing the scabbard. I'm quite sure that a few inches either way wouldn't make much difference either. Albion asks for a number of different measurements prior to their making the scabbard and suspension-- which may make a difference in the "ease of draw" (I honestly don't know). Marvellous, though.

I like what you've done with your Anduril scabbard-- when you say you "rigged up" the suspension system do you mean you did it yourself? If so I'm doubly impressed!
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Mon 21 Feb, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Suspension         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:

I like what you've done with your Anduril scabbard-- when you say you "rigged up" the suspension system do you mean you did it yourself? If so I'm doubly impressed!

Hi David,
Kevin Cashen was nice enough to make a wooden-core, leather-covered scabbard for the sword. It is a very nice scabbard and fit's the sword to a T. I decided to make a belt for the thing about a year after I got it. So I consctructed a colar for the scabbard which fits tightly near the throat through which the suspension is attached. I figured out the way the 13th century scabbard was rigged from a illustration in Oakeshott's Archaeology of Weapons , p. 241 Fig 119. It was my first shot at something like this, and although it did notcome out terribly, it looks rather clunky compared to the beautiful sword and the wonderful buckle and belt end Patrick Hastings made. The sense I get from it now is that the scabbard makes the sword look smaller than it really is, thus overpowering and not complementing the sword. One of my future projects is to have Christian Fletcher make me a new scababrd and belt with a more appropriate suspension system. It's always best to leave it to the pro's like Christian and Kevin.

Joel

Attachment: 42.77 KB
DSCN1228small.jpg
Here is the wonderful Elvish buckle Patrick Hastings handmade for the belt.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Baron Scabbard
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic