Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first sword : a Squire Line Knightly sword (+pictures) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: My first sword : a Squire Line Knightly sword (+pictures)         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Last wednesday I received my first white box from Albion, containing a Squire Line late 13th c. Knightly sword. The box had a label from UPS and one from DHL and arrived unhurt here in Belgium (regarding the various bad experiences concerning the shipping, I must be very lucky).
When I opened it, I first thought the guys from Albion had made me a little joke and sent me a box full of local newspapers (I nearly got a heart-attack Big Grin ), but the sword was there, over-protected and deeply hidden between the pages of the New Glarus Gazette.
It's the first time I purchase and handle a real sword and I was then really impressed by the general specifications of such a sword. You know all what I mean: it's very light in the hand and still has a very good blade presence, it's agile, very well-balanced and the grip is comfortable.
My sword is unsharpened but you can hardly see it (I will post pics as soon as possible). I don't have a NextGen sword, so I can't give a comparison about the finish, but I can tell that I'm really satisfied with the work the guys from Albion did on my sword.
In conclusion I would say that if this sword is the cheapest one from Albion, the models from the NextGen must be very very impressive and I can't wait to order one (sorry, still hesitating, Mike) !
So, I thank all the people that made my sword a concrete dream, and especially Mike Sigman for his patience, his competence, and his humor Wink

David

Last edited by David Etienne on Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations!!

Hope I can get the guts and the money to order the Ringeck, soon... must have....

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats, David! I hope you enjoy your new Albion! I can tell you, you won't be disappointed in the least with anything that shows up on your doorstep in one of those magic white boxes.

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Congratulations!!

Hope I can get the guts and the money to order the Ringeck, soon... must have....

If you don't place that order soon, you'll have to wait in line behind at least one more person before your order gets filled - me Big Grin ! Guts shouldn't be in question...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I received my first white box from Albion, containing a Squire Line late 13th c. Knightly sword.

Excellent choice! I am partial to that particular model myself. Happy Interesting to note that you said that although the blade is unsharpened you can hardly tell. Albion says that in order to put an edge on their Squire line swords they have to use a secondary bevel. It must not be much of one, according to your description. Have fun! Happy
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats David on your S.L 13th C Knightly Sword ! Any pics of it in Belgium? This would be cool to see!
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: My first sword : a Squire Line Knightly sword         Reply with quote

David Etienne wrote:
I first thought the guys from Albion had made me a little joke and sent me a box full of local newspapers

Mike would do that sort of stuff if he dared. He is an evil person. Razz

David Etienne wrote:
I don't have a NextGen sword, so I can't give a comparison about the finish

David

I hope to get my SL 15th C Bastard AND my NG Mercenary very very very (*moan*) soon.
Then I'll let you/everyone know about the different finishes.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Congrats on the Squire,
A picture of it next to a fine Belgian Abbey Ale or any fine Belgian brew would be great showing in one picture two of my greatest loves- swords and Belgian beer! Laughing Out Loud Oh, your a lucky man to live in such a fine country, but I guess the shipping sucks. . .
Jeremy
David Etienne

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, the shipping cost for Belgium sucks but what suck the most are the customs taxes (21%!). Fortunately, my white box passed the Belgian customs unoticed... this time.
And yes, I'm lucky to live in a country where beer is beer Big Grin
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congradulations!

From what I've seen and handled the Squire line is an excellent entry level choice without any compromise in quality or handling. One of these days I'll get one of them great swords Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
David Etienne

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: some (poor quality) pictures         Reply with quote

I finally took some pictures of my sword. The quality is very low but it's the best I can do atm...
The pictures from Albion are of course far better but I only wanted to highlight some areas : the grip and its finish, the guard (much thicker than we can think, according to the pictures from Albion) and the pommel.

I will try to post better pics later.

Attachment: 74.16 KB
IM000779.jpg

Attachment: 57.04 KB
IM000783.jpg

Attachment: 48.47 KB
IM000784.jpg

Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: some (poor quality) pictures         Reply with quote

David Etienne wrote:
I finally took some pictures of my sword. The quality is very low but it's the best I can do atm...
The pictures from Albion are of course far better but I only wanted to highlight some areas : the grip and its finish, the guard (much thicker than we can think, according to the pictures from Albion) and the pommel.

I will try to post better pics later.

Nice, clean hilt.

Congrats on your purchase, David!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first sword : a Squire Line Knightly sword (+pictures)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic