Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swordsmanship in World War One Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tyler Weaver

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Swordsmanship in World War One         Reply with quote

WWI was pretty much the end of combative swordsmanship in the West, at least. Officers went to war wearing swords and came out with swagger sticks to slap against their legs dramatically and pistols to do the actual killing if needed. Now, regardless of the usefulness of firearms, there was still a great deal of dirty, bloody hand-to-hand fighting in WWI and generals (at least) continued to be very fond of bayonets. Moreover, as the Japanese and Chinese showed in World War Two, a trained man with a sword was still combat-effective in some situations, especially if he kept his head on straight. It's not like swords stopped doing what they've always done best just because the 20th century came around.

So, why did Europeans armies abandon swords during WWI? Personally, I'm of the opinion that a combination of insufficient training, inadequate combat-effectiveness of designs then in use, cumbersomeness in the trenches, and many officers not being in the mood to get close enough to the other guy to use them was the cause, but I am interested in hearing other people's take on the issue.

Aku. Soku. Zan.
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, one cant argue with the results of the winners... I really dont think it was effective. Thus the reason it was dropped after these battles. Anytime you are fighting someone at a distance of more than 10 feet or so, anyone is going to choose a gun over a sword. Even if you dont have a gun, one of your buddies probably do. I think the blade was just not found as being very useful. Even bayonetts were being dropped into WWII. I your ideas of training and bulkiness are good points. Id rather spend more time training my troops to kill a guy when hes far away than if hes on top of you. Take care of one you dont have to worry about the other. That and if it does come to a close up tumble, a smaller knife will serve you better than a full sword. just my .02
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
So, why did Europeans armies abandon swords during WWI?

Because it's even less effective than a rifle against machine gun emplacements with interconnecting fields of fire, not to mention mustard gas and flame throwers.

The sword had been abandoned as a front-line weapon long before WWI. The only reason it was still present was because of the outmoded thinking of the upper chain of command. You know, those same guys who thought that in-line infantry assaults were the order of the day against those aforementioned machine guns, and that aircraft had no future in warfare, and that repeating rifles only wasted ammunition.........................................................................................

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a bit off-topic but if you read "All quiet on the Western front", you'll find that in some cases, soldiers from both sides fought hand-to-hand with sharpened trench shovels.

" We are unfeeling dead who, through some dangerous trick of magic, are still able to run and kill. A young Frenchman falls behind; they catch up with him and he puts his hands up; in one of them he is still holding his revolver; we cannot tell whether he wants to shoot or to surrender. A stroke with a shovel splits his face in two.
Another seeing this tries to escape, but a bayonet whistles into his back. He jumps in the air and, arms outstretched, stumbles screaming as the bayonet moves up and down in his spine. "

Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front.

And this testimony from Robert Jamet, lieutenant in the French army in 1915 (sorry it's in French):

" La lutte est hideuse. Il se produit des corps à corps au couteau. Les blessés couchés au fond des boyaux coupent les jarrets. A un carrefour, un grenadier démuni de pétards ramasse une pelle. Il la brandit et fend les crânes. Ses bras tombent en cadence, la pelle coupe les mains qui se tendent en avant dans un geste impuissant de protection, fait jaillir les cervelles. L'outil de labeur est souillé jusqu'au manche d'une bouillie rouge et blanchâtre. Cet homme "fait du bon travail". Nous ne nous occupons plus de nos camarades. Nous n'avons plus conscience de la douleur. Eclaboussés de débris sanguinolents, les mains rouges et terreuses, le visage congestionné, chancelants de fatigue, ne pensant plus, nous frappons, nous tuons... poussés par une force atavique, implacable, le salut du pays "

Robert Jamet, La sublime Hécatombe
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Etienne wrote:
It's a bit off-topic but if you read "All quiet on the Western front", you'll find that in some cases, soldiers from both sides fought hand-to-hand with sharpened trench shovels.

Yes. My late grandfather was a sapper in the British Army throughout WWI. He was, only very rarely, equipped with a firearm. Most of the time, all that he had was his shovel.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Etienne wrote:
It's a bit off-topic but if you read "All quiet on the Western front", you'll find that in some cases, soldiers from both sides fought hand-to-hand with sharpened trench shovels."

Homemade spiked clubs, too. And spike-daggers.

This is a fascinating question (reader-alert lights should begin flashing about now).

I'm reminded of the arguments about longbow vs. crossbows or early firearms.

As I understand it, there simply was no question that a trained longbowman could fire faster and more accurately than either a crossbowman or the wielder of an early firearm. The catch, though, is that it takes many, many years to become expert with a longbow--it actually requires and creates physiological changes in the user. On the other hand crossbows and firearms require comparitively little training for proficiency, and the mechanics of those weapons don't favor one body type or fitness level over another. So, when you're equipping and training vast numbers of men, you give them the weapon that most will be able to use effectively. So how does that get back to swords? People tend to look at the sword and think that it's the best edged weapon solution because it's bigger than a knife. Plus, how hard can it be to use a sword (or longbow)? It's such a simple weapon? In fact, it is simple like the longbow in that its function and method of use is obvious. But, like the longbow, it takes many years of close study and practice to be able to use a sword to its maximum effectiveness. Again, we can't spend years training soldiers in the basics of combat arms. The rifle is it for us. In an emergency, a bayonet converts that incredibly efficient modern weapon into a spear, one of the oldest and most efficient weapons in the human arsenal. Beyond that, a modern soldier just doesn't need an edged weapon. How many Marines who still carry their beloved K-Bar actually use the weapon in close quarters combat?

As for the example of the Japanese officers and NCOs of WWII. How many GIs were killed or wounded by sword? Probably not many, and I think it's reasonable to assume that of all the Japanese soldiers equipped with a sword, some percentage actually had some advanced training in the weapon's use. Compare that to American NCOs and officers of the same period and in the same theater. There were probably more than a few NCOs who'd used a knife in a fight, either in combat or out on the town, but how many officers had saber training. We just don't have the same tradition of swordsmanship in our culture. By the way, there is a vivid passage in Buddy Sledge's masterpiece With the Old Breed At Pelileu and Okinawa in which the author (who came through the hell of the PTO without so much as a scratch) describes a h-t-h fight between a Marine and a Japanese officer armed with a sword. The Japanese officer does not end well. I don't recall the particulars, but it's a must-read passage in a must-read book.

If I remember correctly, even the celebrated Confederate cavalry, often stereotyped as romantic cavaliers, favored the decidedly un-romantic carbine and pistol over the saber.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
David R. Glier

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is why I've been saying that a long, well balanced, heavy bladed knife or short sword could be of great use. The Smatchet comes close, but taken to the next level. Shorter than a machete -that's too long to get at in a hurry, and too slow in a pinch.

A broad-bladed cinqueda, a short katzbalger, a messer, a big Bowie with a pommel... any of the above; something around that magic 18-24 inch mark. With a ka-bar, you just have to get TOO close.
Tyler Weaver

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, there is a vivid passage in Buddy Sledge's masterpiece With the Old Breed At Pelileu and Okinawa in which the author (who came through the hell of the PTO without so much as a scratch) describes a h-t-h fight between a Marine and a Japanese officer armed with a sword. The Japanese officer does not end well. I don't recall the particulars, but it's a must-read passage in a must-read book.

This is a subject I have some interest in. Could you possibly post the passage up?

My original commentary about the combat-effectiveness of swordsmanship in WWII, you'll notice, depended on the guy with the sword keeping his head on straight and not doing anything stupid. A lot of Japanese officers of the time did the exact opposite, and I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was stone drunk and trying to get himself killed or something along those lines.

With regards to swordsmanship training and the swords in use in WWI, most of them were light, straight thrusting blades and the officer using them was probably much better-trained for a duel or polite fencing match than a battlefield. I doubt that combination would have had much of a chance against someone (or, worse, several soldiers) determined and armed with one of the monstrous bayonet/rifle combinations of the age. However, I am a Japanese-style swordsman and might be somewhat biased.

Aku. Soku. Zan.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll see if I can find and scan that passage. You really should read the book, though. Big Grin
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WW I was a trench war. In difference to WW II the frontlines remained steady for a rather long time. The soldiers digged in the trenches and shot each other at the day. In the night they started raids on the trenches of the enemy - and then it came to hand-to-hand combat.
In a trench you couldn't use a large sword blade, the soldiers needed weapons for infight. So they improvised weapons, e.g. shortened a large saber to a big fighting knife (see attached file).

Much informations on this point you'll find in "Fighting Knives" by Frederick Stephens - unfortunately it seems to be out of print.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...mp;s=books

Thomas

Attachment: 103.43 KB
trench.jpg

Last edited by Thomas Laible on Sat 26 Mar, 2005 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lord Howard deWalden orderd and paid for his company of the Royal Welch Fusiliers a specials shord sword.
I was designed by the artist Felix Joubert and patented in London in 1916. Joubert claims, that it is loosely based on an historic welsh sword named "Cledd" (I have no idea what this Cledd has looked like). The patent files make clear, that its 17,5 inch blade is "especially useful for trench war". To my knowledge this sword only has been made in a small amount for deWaldens company. Some samples carry the inscription "dros urddas cymru" (= for the honor of Wales).

Thomas

Attachment: 106.38 KB
welsh.jpg

Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
In an emergency, a bayonet converts that incredibly efficient modern weapon into a spear, one of the oldest and most efficient weapons in the human arsenal. Beyond that, a modern soldier just doesn't need an edged weapon. How many Marines who still carry their beloved K-Bar actually use the weapon in close quarters combat?

Since WWII military knives have got one main purpose: they are survival tools. Am man without a knife is nothing, especially a soldier. I cannot count the possible situations you might need a knife. So you can recognize a difference between WWI knives and WWII knives. In WWI the stiletto-like knives (most trench knives looked like that) and improvements are designed to be weapons. In WWII the military knives got an all purpose shape (modified bowie or spearpoint). The new military knife by Gerber shows, that is is designed to be a all-purpose-tool (see image). Only special forces who are supposed to get engaged to hand-to-hand combat carry real "fighting knives".

Thomas

Attachment: 13.5 KB
gerber_LMFII_ASEK1.jpg

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a nice essay available on-line by Richard Alvarez on George S. Patton's Sabre Manual of 1913:

http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/Patton.shtml

At the bottom of the article are some nice links to essays written by Patton himself on his manual.

Needless to say, at the time of the begining of The Great War, the Sword/Sabre was primarily in the purview of the Cavalry, while for Officers it was primarily a symbol of rank. (Even Bernard Law Montgomery mentioned that although he, like countless generations of young Englishmen before him, had his sword ground sharp on the eve of his departure for France in 1914, was far better trained at Sandhurst in bayonet fighting that sword fighting, and he wondered why in the heck he was even carrying the darned thing) But there were in fact some serious uses of the Sword by Imperial Troops even at that. In Palestine, there was of course the famous charge of the Australian Light Horse using bayonets rather than swords, but after that one, one company per squadron (as I recall) was re-equipped as Cavalry with Pattern 1908 swords. Indian Lancers remained faithful to the sword as well, and there are at least a couple of instances in which the Imperial Cavalry made sword charges against the Turks, even as late as 1918.

On the Continent, there is also the unfortunately not famous charge of F Troop, 2nd US Cavalry, using their 1913 "Patton" sabres in a Hell-for-Leather charge against the Germans in 1918. They actually succeeded in that one, too. (I even have a 1913 that the fellow who sold it to me... for gas money... claimed that his Grandfather had used in a horse charge in WWI. The fellow didn't know much else about it, but it has blood rust etching on it, and there was a trooper with the same last name in F Troop...)

The Germans, Austrians and Russians of course were still making great use of Horse Cavalry in the War on the Eastern Front. I don't know a heck of a lot about it, but there WERE some charges by Poles, Austrians and Russians that were effective. They usually ended up poorly for the horses, though. BTW, it seems as though it was actually quick-firing Artillery that was the serious killer of men and horses in that war (and the next as well), the Machinegun just gets most of the credit (not that they didn't kill PLENTY too!)

So there WAS in fact some effective use of the Sword/Sabre in the Great War... but not on foot.

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
...In Palestine, there was of course the famous charge of the Australian Light Horse using bayonets rather than swords, but after that one, one company per squadron (as I recall) was re-equipped as Cavalry with Pattern 1908 swords.

Are you referring to Gallipoli in 1915? If so, this location is on a peninsula along the Dardanelles straits in northern Turkey, rather than in Palestine. My grandfather was there, thankfully with the Brits, and not the Light Horse, or I probably wouldn't be here today.

Gordon Frye wrote:
...On the Continent, there is also the unfortunately not famous charge of F Troop, 2nd US Cavalry, using their 1913 "Patton" sabres in a Hell-for-Leather charge against the Germans in 1918. They actually succeeded in that one, too. (I even have a 1913 that the fellow who sold it to me... for gas money... claimed that his Grandfather had used in a horse charge in WWI. The fellow didn't know much else about it, but it has blood rust etching on it, and there was a trooper with the same last name in F Troop...)

I'll bet this would be an interesting read, if you can recommend any references?
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Are you referring to Gallipoli in 1915? If so, this location is on a peninsula along the Dardanelles straits in northern Turkey, rather than in Palestine. My grandfather was there, thankfully with the Brits, and not the Light Horse, or I probably wouldn't be here today.

Nope. Palestine, i.e. Modern Day Israel and Jordan. The British/Imperial forces under Allenby did a magnificent job of chasing Johnny Turk all over the place, and pretty much set things up for the mess we have today in the area from Israel East through Iraq. Anyway, the Australian Light Horse had their famous charge at Bathsheeba (the site of Abraham's Well) in 1917 (subject of the Austrialian film "The Light Horsemen", which BTW is a pretty darned good movie!), and the campaign up the Jordan River Valley resulting in the Battle of Megiddo (Armageddon, BTW) in 1918. Allenby's briliant use of Horse was responsible for much of the victory, and the liberation of Jerusalem.

Per the activities of F Troop 2nd US Cavalry, there really isn't much that I know of in print. Some fellows have done a lot of research, but to the best of my knowledge they haven't published anything yet. Too bad, too! PM me, I can put you in touch with one of the serious researchers.

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've read Montgomery's account of his first close action in WW1, where he had a sword but not much idea what the heck to do with it..... his first opponent popped up with a rifle, he took a hack or two with the sword, then dropped it and I guess just punched the guy if I remember it right.

After that fight he got himself a revolver and a rifle. Happy

Modern Special Forces rarely carry "fighting knives". Their knives (Striders, etc) are generally stouter than a Ka-Bar but are still primarily tools, since if they manage to expend 200+ rounds of rifle ammo, 3-6 magazines of pistol ammo, grenades, claymores, and have broken their E-tool (entrenching shovel, even the US model is better than a knife), they're pretty well screwed. That loadout is typical of a Marine Force Recon grunt or Army SF type.

In the invasion of Iraq, one Marine (no pistol backup) had his rifle go click when he expected it to go bang while clearing a house, an Iraqi was bringing his rifle up and he either dropped his rifle or chucked it at the Iraqi (can't remember) as he ripped his "utility" knife off his LBV and stabbed the guy. He had a karambit, which is a good utility blade but also a decent close-in weapon.

Something like a small-medium sized kukri, backed up by a medium sized folding knife and/or multitool would do fine for hand to hand type stuff, a bit larger and easier to use than say a Ka-Bar, and still quite effective for general purpose use (hacking/chopping and stuff).
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There was another reason why swords dropped out of use outside of the parade ground: it was a sniper magnet. Officers carrying swords stood out among the common soldiers; even their revolver were too conspicious, which made many of them carry a rifle instead. Cavalry troops were trained in how to use the sabre, but given that the cavalry arm became rapidly outmoded, sabres saw limited use. During WW2, there was a US training manual on how to deal with sword-wielding German officers. Read about it in Amberger's "The Secret History of the Sword" - it's a real hoot!
My sword site

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swordsmanship in World War One
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic