Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Next Gen XIX Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Next Gen XIX         Reply with quote

I've been looking for a single hander to add to my collection, that is mainly made up of bastards and true longswords. Lately I've been looking at the Albion Next Generation interpretations of the XIX. I would like to know more about the class of sword, but am having trouble finding anything that describes the handling characteristics of such blades. I really would like to know more about this type so if you have any information please post.

Attachment: 18.43 KB
Italian-xix.jpg
The Condottiere
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Next Gen XIX         Reply with quote

Ryan A. C. wrote:
I've been looking for a single hander to add to my collection, that is mainly made up of bastards and true longswords. Lately I've been looking at the Albion Next Generation interpretations of the XIX. I would like to know more about the class of sword, but am having trouble finding anything that describes the handling characteristics of such blades. I really would like to know more about this type so if you have any information please post.

Ryan,
The Type XIX is under-researched, so writings on it are scarce beyond Oakeshott's books. Finding handling information for an entire Type will be difficult also, because there is typically a wide variety of swords in a given Type. Handling will vary from example to example, though you might be able to come up with ideas about some stereotypical traits of the Type if you've been exposed to enough examples.

One could guess that they would be good in the cut due to the parallel edges. You could also guess that they might be serviceable in thrusting due to the hexagonal cross section. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Information typical of the Type XIX:

Profile: not always so broad, some are quite slim, but always a flat hexagonal section
    Cross-section: flat hexagonal with chamfered edges
    Average Blade Length: 30"-38"
    Fuller: ricasso with narrow fuller in upper 1/3rd of the blade
    Point: sharp and spade shaped Grip: single hand to hand and a half
    Primary purpose: cutting and thrusting
    Period: mid 15th c.

Although I have not had the pleasure (yet) of handling this particular weapon, or any in it's type, I think I have a fairly good idea of how it feels. It should be fairly quick and responsive, but not as point-responsive as some of the other longswords primarily dedicated to the thrust. I feel also that it wouldn't be as begging to hack as is more typical of, say, a Viking sword, primarily a cutting-style blade.

Overall, it should actually be a very versatile blade, lively, and very responsive, effective against a multitude of targets irrespective of armour.

Wish I could have a more definitive and authoritative review... hope this helps.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My only additional comment is that a vast number of different swords can be easily fitted into Type XIX. This means, as Chad noted,that the handling characteristics will vary significantly. For the record, the earliest known type XIX swords are from mid 14th century and their use extends beyond the 16th century. it is a very versatile breed.

Alexi
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ryan,

The Condotierre is on my list too. Big Grin

I did have the opportunity to handle an original of this type long ago. If memory serves this struck me as an attempt at a jack-of-all-trades kind of design. I think Aaron's observations are pretty accurate. It probably won't cut as well as some of the earlier designs that feature cutting surfaces that are very broad, flat, and thin. It won't thrust as well as other designs that are strictly dedicated to that purpose. However, it would do either one sufficiently well that the point is moot.

While Albion's Doge is my favorite of those three designs the Condotierre is more fitting to my purposes.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry I can't add anything in the way of information, but I do really dig the finger ring coming out of the crossguard. This would allow you to "choke up" on the grip and sling your index finger over the guard and against the ricasso: a very effective single-handed technique, while offering protection for the finger. A significant fearture if you're like me and prefer to handle your single-hander in this fashion. Happy
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also have my sights set on The Condottiere.

I have 2 XIX's - the ATrim DD1601 and what became known as the Armart S34. From my own experience and posts I have read over the years, I'll say that XIX's can be good but cranky cutters. If you strike outside of the COP, the blade and hilt will vibrate and buzz, more so than some other types. You have to develop a knack for cutting with it - once you do, it may become your favorite sword, but until then it can be frustrating. I remember some years back when Albion was carrying a Gus Trim XIX, some people returned it because they found it too unforgiving and hard to cut with. It wasn't that it was a bad design - far from it. You just had to work with it.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Hi Ryan,

The Condotierre is on my list too. Big Grin

I did have the opportunity to handle an original of this type long ago. If memory serves this struck me as an attempt at a jack-of-all-trades kind of design. I think Aaron's observations are pretty accurate. It probably won't cut as well as some of the earlier designs that feature cutting surfaces that are very broad, flat, and thin. It won't thrust as well as other designs that are strictly dedicated to that purpose. However, it would do either one sufficiently well that the point is moot.

While Albion's Doge is my favorite of those three designs the Condotierre is more fitting to my purposes.

I've been wondering something about the Alexandria XIX...

Why doesn't it have two finger rings?

Chalk it up to a personal quirk-- double-edged swords with asymetrical hilts just don't do it for me, for some reason.

Now the Kern, on the other hand, I'm pretty anxious to see how it turns out.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah,

The Alexandria sword doesn't have two finger rings because you're not going to loop your thumb and index finger over the guard at the same time. Big Grin

Remember, function first.

Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Jeremiah,

The Alexandria sword doesn't have two finger rings because you're not going to loop your thumb and index finger over the guard at the same time. Big Grin

Remember, function first.

I don't quite understand how having a second finger ring will impede the sword's function, Patrick... (you smart-arse!)

In fact, if anything, it means you won't have to worry about whether or not you are facing your opponent with the correct edge of the blade. Things can get confusing when you're in a life-and-death situation, after all... Razz

I only say this because drawing my sword with the finger ring on the wrong side is just the sort of thing that would probably happen to me, thus, I need that second ring to idiot-proof the sword! Cool

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
And Rhaegar died."

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
I don't quite understand how having a second finger ring will impede the sword's function, Patrick... (you smart-arse!)

In fact, if anything, it means you won't have to worry about whether or not you are facing your opponent with the correct edge of the blade. Things can get confusing when you're in a life-and-death situation, after all... Razz

I only say this because drawing my sword with the finger ring on the wrong side is just the sort of thing that would probably happen to me, thus, I need that second ring to idiot-proof the sword! Cool

It won't impede anything. The thing you have to remember is that this topic is an ongoing process of evolution. That type is one of the earliest beginnings of the compound hilt, as such they had the though of putting the index finger over the guard hence only one ring. Later on someone had the same thoughts as yours and added another, and etc., etc., etc.

The wheel seems like a perfectly simple and obvious thing but look how long it took to think of it.

Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

It won't impede anything. The thing you have to remember is that this topic is an ongoing process of evolution. That type is one of the earliest beginnings of the compound hilt, as such they had the thought of putting the index finger over the guard hence only one ring. Later on someone had the same thoughts as yours and added another, and etc., etc., etc.

The wheel seems like a perfectly simple and obvious thing but look how long it took to think of it.

Hmm...

... good answer...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
And Rhaegar died."

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah,

I'm sure you could get Albion to make you a dual ring guard for a few extra bucks. Something like this, perphaps:
The XIX Version 2.0. Laughing Out Loud Happy
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A one-off Condottiere with a second hilt arm would cost more than a few extra bucks
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
A one-off Condottiere with a second hilt arm would cost more than a few extra bucks

That was intended as a tongue-in-cheek post; hence, the LOL Emoticon ( Laughing Out Loud ) at the end. Happy
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been waiting for a sword to jump out at me for awhile, turns out it wasn't just one sword, but the type XIX. It's the first blade to speak to me in awhile so I guess it doesn't matter how it handles. I ONLY say that it doesn't matter because I know Albion doesn't half do anything and they know their stuff. The way a sword feels in hand always depends on the hand anyway.

Thanks for all the replies
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Jeremiah,

I'm sure you could get Albion to make you a dual ring guard for a few extra bucks. Something like this, perphaps:
The XIX Version 2.0. Laughing Out Loud Happy

Despite the fact that you were being a smart-arse, that little photo-chop actually looks pretty good...

... I'm now envisioning it with four side rings added on...

Yeah, it would definitely be very labor-intensive for Albion to get that second ring on-- they'd have to sculpt new waxes, probably revise the mass of the hilt or something complicated like that...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
And Rhaegar died."

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Despite the fact that you were being a smart-arse, that little photo-chop actually looks pretty good...

I agree. Though my post was intended as a bit of smart-arsed humor, I think the sword looks better with a symmetrical two-ring guard. Happy
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
think the sword looks better with a symmetrical two-ring guard. Happy

I agree. I am a big stickler for symetry. even my sword display has to cascade equally in height from my two hander. Eek! I guess I am a little anal anout such things, but but I have to have two on display, or four or only three... ect...
Butg it does look good two rung. Razz

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Next Gen XIX
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic