Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on the Sempach Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Opinions on the Sempach         Reply with quote

HI Everyone. At the moment I am saving up for a Sempach! yay! Big Grin . I was wondering what everyone thought about it. I've read the review but still want to hear more of everyone's opinions. Any people that have handled or own the Sempach any info, pics, and opinions would be highly, highly appreciated!

I also have a question for the folks at albion; are you planning on making a custom scabbard for the sempach? I don't know what kevin is on working next but i'd love to find out!

i'm crazy about light-weight cut and thrust swords with somewhat of a scent-stopper pommel. I think the sempach will be a perfect fit for me.

I'd love to hear from everyone! Thanks,
Michæl F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on the Sempach         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:

i'm crazy about light-weight cut and thrust swords with somewhat of a scent-stopper pommel. I think the sempach will be a perfect fit for me.

Michæl F.

That is why you do not need our opinions really. You seem to have an idea of what you want. Happy

It is a great sword made with care and competence. A true representative of the "Sepmpach" family. That is the only thing that i can say that has specific meaning, really. I own the Sempach and few other swords. It has its own character that words cannot properly describe. I can tell you how quick, light, and responsive it is but this is meaningless without a frame of reference.

If you like the sword's aesthetic elegance, by all means buy it. I love mine.

alexi
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find the Sempach to be an excellent example of the type. It's changed the way I feel about thrusting dedicated longswords. I've never cared for them, but owning a quality recreation of one has made all the difference.

It's a sword with very clean lines and a classic design.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It really is a beautiful piece of work. It looks great, but it handles far better. It slices through light targets without any resistance, and easily finds its mark when used to thrust. So if it appeals to you visually, get it, even if you don't play with it it will look nice on the wall.

edit: I have only cut light targets. I wouldn't to give you the impression it wouldn't be suitable for the tough stuff.
Michael F.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the thoughts guys! I know the sempach may be right for me, but I'm the type of person who, before getting my last sword, looked for all the information about it, weight, performance, finish, sharpness, quality, opinions, pictures, ect.

I'd love to hear from everyone, even if you don't own one; What do you like, about it and what you don't like about it.

Any pics from weird angles would be highly appreciated! Big Grin

...Finally I'm with people that i can actually share knowledge about swords with...now I don't have to ramble on about them to my parents. Lol Laughing Out Loud

Thanks,
Michael F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Michael. I've handled the Sempach, and I loved it. Had it for a couple of weeks before the owner came and took it away... Cry

I never cut with it, and I dont expect it to be a great cutter, since its a sword type designed with emphasis on the thrust, so it has a pretty thick and narrow blade, but I have no doubt that the Sempach is a great cutter for its type. Thrusting with this one, though is a whole different story. Lethal, with a capital "L". I loved the balance of the sword and the pommel is very comfortable to grip, if you like to keep your hands wide on the hilt. No picture does it justice though. I have never liked ttype XVII's at all, until I held the Sempach in my hands. Never cared for it, even in the pics here on myArmoury, I though it looked, well, inelegant. Seeing it in person, though, I fell in love with it. I dont know how I could think it looked inelegant once I saw it for myself.

Einar

PS: It makes a really cool swishing sound when you swing it. Wink I know its kinda geeky, but it does.
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Sempach and recived it no more than a week ago. I love the sword. It is light, but rugged, simple,but elegant. While it might not be for everybody, this is something definetly unique.

Eric

P.S. Enir is right about that swoosh thing! Laughing Out Loud

May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
Michael F.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I love that "swoosh" sound when you swing a sword! I'll i need to do is get about $500 and i'll have a sempach... now....where to get the money......I'll have to work extra extra hard over the summer!

Anyone know how to reserve a sword from Albion?

Any help would be great!

-Michael F.

Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:

Anyone know how to reserve a sword from Albion?

Any help would be great!

-Michael F.

http://www.albion-swords.com/order.htm

Call them, or email them, and ask, but I think you can reserve a sword for like 300 dollars. Mike at Albion (who answers the emails) is great. Very helpful, and quick to respond.
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Just send Mike at Albion an e-mail. I'll second Einar- Mike's great and very helpful. You can place an order with a deposit (I think the Sempach's around $300) and pay off the rest in installments over 6 months. I just received my Regent about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I'm still admiring it Big Grin . I did a payment plan with them and it worked out great. Good luck and let us know how you like it! The Sempach's on my list too (along with many others), but I'm limited to about, oh, 1 sword per year.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on the Sempach
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic