Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 16 Century warriors, what do they look like?? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: 16 Century warriors, what do they look like??         Reply with quote

I am about to reseve an Armour class 16th Century Hand & a Half sword.

I buyed this one for longsword practising, I heart it was good for this purpose and offcourse I like it for it's looks.

Besides this, I have hardly an idea about what kind off guy's would have wield this kind of sword in the old day's.
Would this sword have bin his main weapon?? "I found this painting off Renaissance Armies: The Swiss" here

I think mister G is having such a sword as his secondary weapon, would this be mostly the case?? Was this a common kind of weapon?? Would it be possible he wore body armour as well??

What army's would have used this kind hand and a half sword in those day's? Armour class says the sword has a Saxon form 36" double fullered blade. So, that makes it a German design? Has it bin used only in German? or all around the europien world??

I mean, I know little about the 16 century, that would have bin somewhere around the Spanish wars isn't it?

I do not intend to start a long stidie up on this period, but some basic idea's and facts would be more then welcome...

Folkert

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 16 Century warriors, what do they look like??         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
I am about to reseve an Armour class 16th Century Hand & a Half sword.

I buyed this one for longsword practising, I heart it was good for this purpose and offcourse I like it for it's looks.

I think mister G is having such a sword as his secondary weapon, would this be mostly the case?? Was this a common kind of weapon?? Would it be possible he wore body armour as well??

What army's would have used this kind hand and a half sword in those day's? Armour class says the sword has a Saxon form 36" double fullered blade. So, that makes it a German design? Has it bin used only in German? or all around the europien world??

I mean, I know little about the 16 century, that would have bin somewhere around the Spanish wars isn't it?

I do not intend to start a long stidie up on this period, but some basic idea's and facts would be more then welcome...

Folkert

Folkert;

My own opinion of the Hand-and-a-Half would be that it was a side-arm for a Man-at-Arms, rather than a primary weapon for an Infantryman. The early 16th Century was the era in which most armies were made up of masses of Pikemen, with some Arquebusiers, as well as both Light and Heavy Cavalry. The Light Cavalry was mostly of the Eastern European/Balkan style or the Spanish Jinete type armed in mail shirts and light helmets, carrying fairly light swords and lances, while the Heavy Cavalry was made up of the knightly Men-at-Arms, wearing full armour and riding armoured horses trained to charge into, and through, pike "squares". But they were known to dismount to stand with the Footmen, to give them good heart while awaiting the clash of arms. Of these Heavy Cavalrymen, the French and Burgundian (Netherlandish) Gendarmes ("Men-at-Arms") were the foremost. There was a lively trade in arms during the period, so there would be no problem at all in seeing a Burgundian of French Gendarme with a sword of Saxon manufacture or style, though they were often made in one area to the taste of another for marketability.

Anyway, I know this doesn't totally address your concerns, but it's a start for you. There are a number of excellent 15th Century reenactment groups in the Netherlands to talk to, and I assume some 16th Century enthusiasts as well. So good luck with your research, and enjoy the sword!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks fot the start         Reply with quote

Thanks Gorden, indeed it's a start and yes now I am further now.

I understand that I have to buy a horse to go along with it Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud .
And I like the Netherlandish part of your explanation and will go looking for a 16 century reenactment group...

More opinions anyone!!??

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folkert;

Check out this site: http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi They have a reenactment group directory listing the high-end groups in NA and Europe. Although they are pretty much limited to 14th and 15th Century interests, they do go into the early 16th Century. There seems to be a strong focus on the Swiss-Burgundian Wars of the late 15th Century among them, so you may well find some fun folks to work with. It looks as though there are a good number in the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Western Germany to choose from.

Good luck,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 16 Century warriors, what do they look like??
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic