Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Vassal Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Albion Vassal         Reply with quote

Hello all

I'm thinking about the Vassal as my next purchase from Albion. I've been fascinated with the falchion design for some time now, and Albion's version has really caught my eye. I have handled (briefly) MRL's falchion and while it was kinda nice, it just didn't seem "right" for me. Does anyone have a guesstimate on the weight and balance of Albion's version? I saw the finished blade blank on Albion's site and it looks awesome. Everyone seems caught up in the messers, and even though they are stunning (and fierce-looking Eek! ), I would like to know more about the Vassal...and any talk on falchions would be cool too Wink .
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy-

From the brief talks I've had with Mike @ Albion, and info from threads here (such as Eric's responses on p. 63 of http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=524, this particular piece should be insane. The Albion folks are awesome about giving up-to-date info, and this is the latest.

I don't know final specs yet - not sure if it's far enough along to determine.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey thanks Aaron!

I just flipped thru that thread earlier, probably just before Eric posted. The Vassal sounds incredible. I love the blade profile and the fact that it's fast just start a clicking in my brain. I've held some overly blade heavy single edgers in the past, and I was pretty sure Albion would be doing falchions some justice. I've gotta get some deposit money together....
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to help. I personally hadn't been more than mildly interested (possibly somewhat amused, actually - hey, I'm entitled to my own feelings Razz ) at the thought of these single-edged pieces when I first saw Peter's concept sketches. Since then, I have continued to be increasingly intrigued. Having seen the rough blades and "listened" to the thoughts and experiences of the others on this site as well as doing some albeit limited research on my own, I've become pretty interested. They're still not at the top of my "gotta have" list, but they are, indeed, there.

I'm sure Mike will be glad to take your reservation. Production will still be a couple of months out or more (could be wrong - been a while since I harrassed these guys about it), so there's time to pull together the rest of the funds. I'm certain it will be worth it. Let us know what you think - it's a unique piece!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jeremy,

I am glad you hear the Vassal calling your name! To me personally it is very satisfying to work with some historically accurate single edged designs that makes authentic originals justice. (By historically accurate I mean designs based on actual hands on research of orginals.)
You often hear that falchions are heavy choppers. It is a widely accepted idea, but it does not really describe the reality. The notion probably arise from a guess based on the typical silhouette, disregarding the fact that the blade grows much thinner as it widens.
A falchion will have much the same balance as a double edged sword. Not exactly the same, but the difference is less than one would think.
A single edged cross section actually helps in keeping the blade *lighter* than a double edged blade with the same width and thickness, there fore you can work with width in a different way than is possible with a double edged blade.
The fact they are generally a bit shorter than their double edged cousins also allowes a slightly hefiter point section without the sword becoming sluggish.
They generally have a very effective distal taper and a much thinner cross section than is generally understood (this is a fact very rarely commented on in litterature.)

These are *agile* weapons! (Some messers/early cutlasses are hefty, but the notion that single edged swords generally are cumbersome beasts is plain wrong).
They obviously cut like deamons (as you would expect), but they are also very effective in the thrust.
There is a lot going on in the change of cross section along the blade of these weapons. They are quite a bit more complex than double edged swords. Despite being very thin in the outer part they are still pretty stiff. This is a result of the complex distal taper and the light thin outer section. The added width also help increase stiffness as does the slight curvature. The false edge of the spine and point is important for the balance and change of stiffness of the outer part of the blade.

The heft and feel of a well made falchion is sweet and intuitive. Not at all straining or bulky. It has a pleasant soft foward pull inducing cutting action. As you wield the sword it has a floating feel to it. Weigth is not really an issue; it can weigh 1.3 or 0.9 kilos: it feels much the same: powerful and smooth. The dynamic balance makes for a responsive and utterly effective slashing/cleaving weapon that is still fearsome as a thruster. Quick and nasty in close quaters, devastating in full swings. A very effective cut can be delivered with an elbow swing (= perhaps even amputating if no armour is worn).

Note that this is meant to describe actual historical examples, based on my own observations. It is my ambition to make such swords justice with the "Vassal". This type of sword is less common on the market today, but was very popular during its time. The Vassal is made to reflect the charactersitics of actual originals. I hope more enthusisats will turn their eyes toward the less common types of the European sword. It is worthwhile I would say.

Surviving examples are rare. I have based the design of the Messer and the falchion blades on those signle edged swords I have personally handeled and documented. Important addition to the pool of data is also those specimen I have seen exhibited in museums.
Collected data and general impression of these weapons suggest that the type is very much misunderstood.

I do not have my notes accessible as I write this, but I can give some estimates:
The naked blade weighs less than 700 grams and final sword will be around 1100 grams; could be less, could be slightly more (I am still tweaking the pommel to set final weight). The effect will be an agressive sword with agile and sweet balance, not a heavy and cumbersome excuse for a chopper.
The prototype blade we tested at Albion was sunk to the spine in the end of a log with almost no effort. It is very silent in the cut. No shock transmitted to the hand. A wicked edge that is both sturdy and thin. Think extremely wide and sturdy butcher knife sharpened like an axe. This blande now resides with me in Sweden and I am currently tweaking the dimensions of the hilt components to make the most of the blade.

It is very diffcult to describe a sword type you feel strongly and enthusiastically about, without it coming across as base marketing. It is not meant that way. I just think it is time for the Falchion to get the recognition it deserves, based on understanding, not guesswork and popular myth.

Thanks
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter

Thanks for the all the info. The first time I saw a falchion was as a kid in a book at the local library. I don't remember the book or much of the description, just that I was surprised and intrigued by a single-edged medeival sword that wasn't cutlass shaped. I've always been fascinated with European arms, and falchions have kinda stuck in my mind. When I first saw the concept drawing for the Vassal, I thought "Oooh, that's the falchion I'm looking for." I dry-handled a few fantasy type falchions, but they were designed more like Chinese daos with a Euro cross and pommel. on top of that they were mostly quite heavy...except one that was nice, light and sweet. Still very powerful, but not sluggish like the other 3 or 4 I held...But alas it was a fantasy design and I'm more of a historical kinda guy. I am very impressed with the descriptions and feedback i'm hearing on the Vassal. I had already figured you guys would be doing justice to the type, and now I'm getting all giddy about it! Laughing Out Loud You don't have to worry about marketing hype...I didn't take it that way at all. With the rarity of surviving pieces and the overlooking of them by most modern researchers, I have had a hard time learning about these weapons, and all the info you gave either reaffirmed my thoughts or answered my questions. Thanks so much, now I'm off to get some deposit money together (must have been the marketing technique Wink )

Jeremy
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been trying to focus my studies in the 12th century, but the weapons of the 13th century call to me. I love this falchion design. It is one of my favorite Next Gen designs along with the Sheriff. Both of these swords just look "wicked" in their silhouettes. I can't wait to see the steel version of the Vassal.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Vassal is one of the Next Gens that I am particularly interested in seeing. I've always had a fondness for the falchion, and I've always thought it was a shame not to have any quality examples on the production market.

The only problem is trying to come up with the money. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Peter and Albion,
As I tend to ask questions regarding dates I will continue this vein and ask- What date would you ascribe the Vassal- I would guess 1350+
Jeremy
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello Peter and Albion,
As I tend to ask questions regarding dates I will continue this vein and ask- What date would you ascribe the Vassal- I would guess 1350+
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I still have most of my reference material stacked away after moving, so I cannot make a thorough look up...
But my impression is that this type of falchion could be quite a bit ealier. I would say late 13th C at least. Untill I can check I will not go earlier, but it could be possible?

With the hilt configuration the Vassal could comfotably fit within late 13th C to later half of 14th C, I would say.

When I find more data I will return!

Untill then, perhaps others will want to fill in their thoughts and observations?
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Peter,
This is beautiful as it places the Vassal within my current era of interest. I am facinated by the arms and armour of the middle ages that pre-date plate armour. Please provide more information as to your impressions of dating as they become available to you and I am interested in single edged weapons of the 12th and early 13th century.
Jeremy
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got a nice set of stats on the Thorpe Falchion (including POB!) for my review of the MRL weapon. See the beginning of my review for a discussion of the Thorpe:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_mrl_falc.html

Ignore my "relatively heavy" comment in the overview section, as per Peter's notes above.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Vassal
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic