Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey J. Padgett from Indiana here. I've come to this site over from Swordforum where I lurk a bit, and didn't realize until today I could register here too. Big Grin

I would say my collection only has one real sword, my fantastic Atrim 1531 with the scent stopper pommel. I also bought a windlass rapier from a friend and am restoring it to a nicer finish. I have a couple of SLOs from back before I knew anything, but those don't really count.

I will not rest until I have a sword representing at least every Oakeshott typology! Cool

Last edited by J. Padgett on Mon 17 Nov, 2003 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buddy Reese

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: INtroduction         Reply with quote

Hi..My Name is Buddy Reese

I am a computer Engineer.
Hobbies, include, art, music (guitar) and of course weapons...

Swords I own.
Atrim 15th Century Mercinary
Cold steel hand and a half
Chen Tiger Katana
Chen Musashi Katana
Chen PK kat
Chen Oriole Kat
Chen Banshee DHA
Kriss cutlery Kat (both)
CHen DAO broadsword

My current sword interest is moving from japanese combat weapons toward more western types.

PS..interesting and informative forum. thanks

Life is Zen, So are Swords.
Philip Jannetta

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am currently a student in high school and study on my own time Greco/Roman ,Medieval, and Renasiance history. I also like to fence, play chess, and basketball.

I currently do not own a sword, but have three wooden swords from woodenweapons.com

The longsword,
gladius,
and the one hander

Cheers,
Phil

Edward Gibbon:
I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging of the future but by the past.
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, hullo!
My name is David Quivey, and I am a broke student out in the middle of nowhere, ie, Chico, California. My interest in swords began with a general love of history, and my researching of my Danish ancestory. When I research something, I like to totally immerse myself Wink From an interest in early medieval weapons and armour, with an emphasis on Nordic, my interest has expanded into mid and high medieval weaponry and armour.
Being a student, however, my sword collection consists of (drumroll please) nothing! Eek!
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Contest         Reply with quote

Hi. My name is James Nordstrom from Sacramento California. I am a recovering sword forum, sword-swinging, shield-crashing addict. Big Grin And, thanks to Nathan having this site that squeaks through my organizations firewall I have pretty much fallen off the wagon and have begun pursuing my old habits one more.

*SIGH* Cry

I am powerless to stop this.

I have the required equipment for sports fencing, perhaps too much.
A few early purchases I do not really want to talk about.
MRL:
Cut&Thrust (their earlier design)
Medieval sword (the recent 99$ special)
Saber
a few daggers
Tinker Viking
Tinker sax
ArmArt palach
Armor Class morturary hilt
DelTin's (3 or 4)
Cossack saber from Therion Arms
Lots of Purple Heart wasters
Lutel Katzblagher (sp) (anyone want?)

I am trying to focus my sword buying along the same lines as my sword swinging interests. This means I will be focusing on I.33, Ringneck, and Swetnam types of swords.

Which I actually have already.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that Jim.
Dan Ames

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all, found the topic. My interests were in long swords, like XIIa, XIIIa...

My collection is mostly reflections..of trial and error. Very simple collection.

DT2121
DT2140
Sal Muashi
PK
Atrim Irish
CS Cutlass

I haven't bought anything recently, my interest just seems to be lacking. Who knows? Maybe I'll win and handling a new sword will get me back into it. If not, just another chapter in my life. Can't really afford new sword, and nothing has jumped out at me.
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hiya!

My name is John Cooksey.
And I really, really want a new sword. Cool

I am a grad student and archaeology instructor at the University of Arkansas.
(currently trying to convince my advisor that a dissertation about swords is a really, really good idea)

I don't have many swords, unfortunately.
Lessee, I have the ancient Taikatana (Taiwanese katana-thingie with a real replacement hilt) that was my first sword.
And my ArmArt S29a shamshir (favorite sword by a long shot).
And my A&A 12th century warsword.
And the A&A Henry V with wire grip-wrap.
And a Del Tin 2103.
And a custom Al Massey leaf blade.
And the Del Tin 201-A bronze sword.
And . . . .
and . . . . .

My current collecting interests include rapiers and sabers of all sorts and periods, and my next purchase will hopefully be one of those bad-assed Cold Steel 1796 Light Cavalry Sabers, since I am way, way too poor to afford a nice rapier right now.

Awesome web-site, folks.
I come here all the time to look at gorgeous photos and read the articles and discussions.
Thanks a bundle.

Yours,
John C.
Marc Gener

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Name's Marc Gener, from Spain.

My collection is small, I'm not really a collector. I prefer to spend the money in books and other information-gathering endeavours. the latter have been keeping me fairly busy for some time, now...
Even so, I have some items:

- Del Tin 2160
- XVIII c. Mughal Talwar
- Early XX c. Khukhri
- Some folders, a repro katar, a KC stiletto, a fairly recent javanese keris... odd things that have been falling into my hands over the years. And I don't think my kenjutsu gear really counts as "collection"...

Marc
"Living and trying to learn"
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Joseph Fults.

I am a father and husband. A student and manager.

My current collection is:

Arms and Armor German Bastard Sword.

I have the following on order:

Custom A&A, single handed sword designed to allow two handed use in a pitch. Basically a slightly modified from an actual weapon to suit my personal tastes. Should be in hand within a month.

Redeemer. I want the whole kit, including the yet to be revealed shield, so I ordered one. Due in late March or April ( or May).

Custom A&A rapier. Recreation of a historic weapon whose photo I found in the myArmoury photo gallery. I'm guessing a June or July time frame on this one.

Not sure what will be next, but I'm sure there will be something in the interval waiting on...

...monosteel bastard sword by Kevin Cashen. This one is probably due in 2007.

Collecting interests....thats a hard one. For the most part I like Western swords, particularly those of types XIII, XIV, XVI, XVIII, and Rapiers. Interesting thing is, as time goes by I find more and more things, including a few fantasy pieces, are intersting to me.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Fredrik Hörnell and i am 28 years old.
I live in an apartment with my love Kristin and our dog (mix.) Charlie.
As a living i throw furniture around, preparing for different groups at a Conference area at Arlanda International Airport here in sweden.

My current "collection" is:

A wallhanger: Denix Gladius bought under a string of temporary madness under a vacation trip to Crete.
An unsharp but not really a blunt Longsword: Lutel 15018.
An unsharp but wery pointy Longsword: Del Tin 5140

My main interesse lies in medieval swords and other weapons, but i am not limited to them.

Should i have the means to buy a new sword right now (wich i don´t) It would be a high end production piece, onehander - sharp.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Hey Nathan,
Can a Swede enter that contest? Razz Razz Or is it for US residents only? Worried Worried

All are eligible to enter the contest, but we won't allow Kobolds or Mad Germans. Razz

Good to see you here, Jocke! Big Grin

My sword site
Jay Davis

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys, my name is Jay Davis, and I'm from Atlanta, Georgia.

I'm 31, I am an Elementary school art teacher (that's how I pay the bills!). I also teach kung fu and Tai Chi, see my www in my profile. I'm also a decent watercolor painter.

I have a:

Angus Trim #1430 Italian Longsword, I LOVE this sword!

Angus Trim #1542 I just purchased, can't wait to get it, will be a great sword for Tai Chi Jian training!

Paul Chen practical Da Dao, and inexpensive, tough little sword.

Wild Highlander 2 handed claymore, well built, beefy sword!

I have practiced various asian martial arts for quite a while now, but I am really getting into WMA as of late.

I've enjoyed reading on this site for a while, it's very nice, and you guys came up with a clever way to get folks to register!

Oh yeh, if you wanna check out some of my paintings: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?e...59&ck=
Nathan Shaffer

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: About myself         Reply with quote

Well my sword interest started when I was very young but did not peak until about two years ago. I currently own a ritter steel crusador sword (blah) and some wall hangers but I do have an A&A 15th cent two handed sword on the way. I am currently practicing German longsword under Bill Grandy and the Virginia academy of fencing and as you can probably guess my favorite swords are big beefy european blades. I have some interestest in learning the katana and other various weapons after I am well along in my longsword training (which won't be for quite some time). I am currently attending college in Virginia to become a pharmacist and am about half way though my 2nd year at the moment. Awesome site btw Happy
Brian Scott McKee

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Brian McKee. I am an English major at James Madison University focusing on British Romantic poetry and Guinness.

My little collection includes:

Older version KC Gladius
Newer version KC Gladius
MRL Medieval short sword
Del Tin Dagger
Paul Chen Viking Axe

I would like to start adding some hand and a half swords, and am trying to decide between a Lutel or paying the landlord

Take care,
Brian
Taylor David Bolinger

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howdy all. I'm Taylor Bolinger, and I live in Plano Texas (Just north of Dallas). I'm currently a senior in high school, though I have been admitted to Texas A&M University (just a little plug there, can't help it). I own a boken that I bought for $15 when I was on vacation in Washington. That's it for my sword collection, as my D&D habit eats all my money (the meager amount I make teaching swim lessons). I must say though, even if I dont win this sword, I may have to buy one from Albion with any money I get for Christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Hey Nathan,
Can a Swede enter that contest? Razz Razz Or is it for US residents only? Worried Worried

All are eligible to enter the contest, but we won't allow Kobolds or Mad Germans. Razz

Good to see you here, Jocke! Big Grin

No Kobolds or Mad Germans? Darn! Guess I'm out of the race then! Razz

Thanks for welcoming me Björn. It's good to be here!

I'm going to write a short presentation pretty soon too. Have to join in on the fun.

And I know I haven't been the most busy poster on this forum, but hopefully that will change too.

Oh, BTW, I've started saving up for my Svante now. Wink
Chester Carman

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well,

I'm Chester.

I currently am in Florida.

My small collection contains:

A Lutel Seax

An Albion early model Kragehul Bog Sword

Al Massey custom migration sword

Bronze Age Foundry leaf blade

Vladmir Cervenka Tri-Lobed viking sword

Should have sometime in the next couple of months if all goes well

Jim Hrisoulas migration sword and seax

And have on order a fantasy custom sword from Odin Blades John Lundemo.

Also have an antique that I think is an old stage sword

I am wanting a sword from bronze age greece and a roman gladius pompei type sometime in the future and a sword from the timeframe of the first crusades

Good luck to all and Hello!
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm Glen Cleeton. My work is distribution fullfillment from the inventory angle. When I'm not troubleshooting, I'm troublemaking Wink I've done other things in life but this has lasted 17 years.

My interest in swords is diverse and I hope to add some antiques, if I ever get over the "gimmes". I have a yen for sabers from the 18th and 19th century but most of my collection reflects the 100 years war +- a century or three. I'm an avid cutter, even trying out a katana on my foot.

The list includes:
Windlass Espada Ropera
Windlass Patton saber
Oscar Kolombatovitch Macbeth
Del Tin/ MRL Danish war word
Del Tin 5157
A&A German Bastard
A&A Black Prince with bronze
Glen Parrell Conyers falchion
ATrim XIIIa (Albion era)
Hanwei Practical katana
Hanwei Godfred viking
~~~~
I recently traded into the 5157 with another A&A (Todd just had to trade for something that day) and I have a proto from the Seattle skonk werkes on the way (that odd hilted 1319)

I wish I could convince myself to go into hock for a wonderful 18th century sabre I ogle. Maybe it will still be there next year. Ah heck, I like the ones I can cut with.

I've lots of shorter stuff and this adds to my inability to save for the old pretty ones.

Cheers

GC

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Mon 17 Nov, 2003 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin B. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, I'm Martin Taylor, caucasian male a bit over eighteen and out of high school. Not currently employed anywhere, mainly because I'm legally blind and can't drive...no public transporation out here in the middle of nowhere, either. So with no allowance nor generous parents, I'm flat broke. Long-time student of Sword Forum International...it astonished me how much there is to swords, swordsmanship and fabrication of the weapons. Had SFI an exam to pass, I'd darn sure ace it, heh.

Sadly, I don't own any, hm, true swords. I do have a flea market, stainless thing my cousin gave me for Christmas when he heard I was into swords. It weighs a ton, has a tang you could break between your fingers and no balance or flex to speak of, of course. I want a certain, new Windlass sword, but I feel guilty spending so much money on myself when I have so little anyway and my relatives deserve a lot more than I do this Christmas.

My interests...well, I like European/English/Knightly swords mostly, and anything with that basic form. All Oakeshott types are sweet, especially XIX (which I don't see much of). I generally like single, narrow-fullered blades of 32"+ with a grip warranting either one handed or two handed use. Gothic wraps are nice, as are some non-historical dyes like dark blue and forest green. Into LotR-ish stuff, big fan of CF's current Redeemer and David Stokes' famous Gwailas by Odinblades. Ah, I'm such a dreamer. Happy

Enough from me...good luck to everybody!

- Martin Taylor

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." - Hebrews 4:12
Jesse Zinn

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Greetings!         Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Jesse Zinn. I am an archaeologist, in the employ of the North Carolina Department of Transportation, and a resident of the Old North State. Though, originally I am from, and went to school in Virginia.

My baby daughter turned 1 year old last week!

My sword collection currently consists of:

MRL/Windlass "Early Viking Sword"
MRL/Windlass "Viking Long Sax"
MRL/Windlass "Liegnitz Sword"
MRL/Windlass "Infantry Battle Sword"
Hanwei "Practical Viking Sword"

however, I am also fortunate to possess:

Arms & Armour Manufacture (A&AM, Cz.) "Viking Broad Axe"
MRL/Windlass "Bearded Viking Throwing Axe"
MRL/Windlass "Shaved Viking Throwing Axe"
MRL/Windlass "Footsoldiers War Hammer"
MRL/Windlass "Viking Long Spear"
Viking-Shield "Model IV Shield"
Purpleheart Amoury "Viking Sword Waster"

If indeed fortune ever winks her eye towards me, my collection will grow to include historical ancient, dark ages/early medieval, and high medieval weapons from Del Tin, Arms and Armor, Albion Armorers, Lutel, ArmArt, Templ/Patrick Barta, and Jake Powning; and perhaps, one day, some fine pieces from Paul Champagne, Simon Fearhamm and Peter Johnsson (and maybe, perhaps, Doc Price of the UK?).

Best wishes, all,
Jesse

Jesse D. Zinn
North Carolina

“Hwæt wé Gár-Dena in geár-dagum
þéod-cyninga þrym gefrúnon,
hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon."

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Ride Away with a New Sword Contest!Contest
Page 2 of 6
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: