Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Viceroy! - Impressions of a newby Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: The Viceroy! - Impressions of a newby         Reply with quote

Ok you guys asked asked for it and here it is. Keep in mind I've never seen another sword before, so my impressions here are based only on what I have read and the pics I have seen compared to what I recieved.

When I first opened the box my perception of the finish was not what I thought it would be. As was noted in another thread I was surprised by how scratchy the pommel and hilt were. It seems the pictures I had seen set a certain expectation that was not fullfilled by what I saw, which is really not the case and irrelavent becuase by the time I got it cleaned up and polished my misperception of the finished dissolved. I just expected it to be something it was not, rather than appreciating it for how it was, which is a good lesson.

When I picked it up the first thing that struck me was how light it was and how thin the blade was. I never imagined a real sword had such a thin and felxible blade, which is really cool. It seemed very agile for its size. I was amazed at how sharp the tip was, it was so fine that it almost seemed I would break it off on accident. Surprised

The blade was surpisingly sharp, even knife sharp, though there was one section, about one inch long and about 4 inches down from the tip that was not very sharp. I could rub my finger over this spot as hard as I want and would not be cut. I was quiet dissapointed that I dropped nearly a $1000 only to find a slight flaw in craftsmanship. Albion did offer to correct the problem, but I've spent enough, I wasn't willing to fork out another $25 for shipping to fix a mistake. Though I won't be cutting with it so it doesn't matter anyway.

I thought the grip was totally awesome, it was totally perfect. I can't imagine it could have been done better, its very impressive, and one of my favorite parts of this sword. And the construction of the rest of the sword was perfect as well, everything fit perfectly.

The grinding/shaping and finish on the blade its self is just amazing, again perfect is the only word that could desribe it. I can't believe how uniform everything is. The finish on the blade was so silky and smooth, and I guess I had expected the other parts to be just as silky, though that was not the case, but once I got the parts polished what I percieved as scratchyness now gives it that cool silky satin look that drew me to the albion products.

I like the look of "grain" on the blade, and my personal taste would possibly like to see the grain effect of parallel strokes on the pomel and hilt too, rather than the circular type finish. Maybe that wouldn't look right though, I can't say. I guess it looks right the way it is.

Now that it is polished and waxed the whole sword looks exactly as I want it. I probably like it a little shinier than most, which is why my initial impression while it was still oiled was as it was. Seems I like the waxed looked over the oiled look. Now that it matches my personal taste i can say this is truly a work of art in all ways. I just love to pick it up everyday and just admire its beauty and the craftsmanship that went into it. Its lines and curves are so perfectly beautiful, and totalyl awesome. I just love it. Big Grin

Now if I were going to actually use this for fighting I might make a slight design change to it. I would probably go without the ricasso, and have a smaller pommel to keep it balanced. Seems to me if I were fighting I would rather have the added speed of less metal and weight than the added looks of the ricasso. Though the ricasso and fuller work is one of the main things that drew me to this piece, other than the pommel, and the grip, and hilt... I guess it all drew me in! Big Grin This sword is just so well designed, visually, which is why I like it so much. I really resonate with everything about the design and look of the Viceroy, I can't realy say why, it just has that look of an elegant, higher end sword that only the elite might carry. It has so many features compared to most swords. Seems the sword was designed by obvious visual talent. Visual artists always make the best products, becuase they know what people want to see. Happy

All in all this is one remarkably beautiful sword, from the design to the finish, and other than the not so sharp spot on the blade I could not be happier. Congratulations to albion on an outstanding product and work of art. It is truly bold and impressive.

Lance
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The blade was surpisingly sharp, even knife sharp, though there was one section, about one inch long and about 4 inches down from the tip that was not very sharp. I could rub my finger over this spot as hard as I want and would not be cut. I was quiet dissapointed that I dropped nearly a $1000 only to find a slight flaw in craftsmanship. Albion did offer to correct the problem, but I've spent enough, I wasn't willing to fork out another $25 for shipping to fix a mistake.

Are you seriously telling me that Albion was going to make you pay for shipping to fix the edge on a sword you just paid $1000 for? Eek! WTF?! In the modern vernacular, "That ain't right, dawg!" Mad Fortunately, everything else was to your liking. No question, they do make a beautiful product. The Viceroy definitely has a unique (and very cool) blade. Cool Happy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad you're happy with your new sword Lance.

Quote:
Now if I were going to actually use this for fighting I might make a slight design change to it. I would probably go without the ricasso, and have a smaller pommel to keep it balanced. Seems to me if I were fighting I would rather have the added speed of less metal and weight than the added looks of the ricasso.

That ricasso is there for a reason. These things were meant to be used not only admired. There are very few design elements on originals that didn't serve a functional purpose of some sort. I'm not suggesting that swords without a ricasso were lacking, or that ones like the Viceroy were superior, but the feature isn't there just for "nice".

If you have an issue with the edge you should send it back and have it fixed, as well as discussing the shipping charges. I'm sure it can be made right wih a minimum of fuss.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having four inches of the blade not sharpened, if that's what you have, would irritate me. So would having to pay an additional $25 (shipping) to get it fixed.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot to mention it before, but I know exactly what you mean when you say you were surprised at how thin the blade appears. I had the same reaction the first time I held a sword. I remember reading in another post here that existing historical swords are generally in the 3/16" thick range, with some even being closer to 1/8" thick. It can be a bit disconcerting at first, until you start cutting things with your sword (I know you don't plan on doing this with yours, I'm just speaking for myself here), and you realize that with a proper spring temper they can withstand an amazing amount of stress. I have actually become partial to thinner blades, like MRL's Arbedo, which is 1/8" thick (monster cutter! Eek! Cool ). Anyhow, enjoy your new sword. Happy
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Viceroy is a warsword. If you were to fight unarmoured against unarmoured enemies you may want a lighter sword. The extra beef is to deal with the rigors of the battlefield.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Viceroy! - Impressions of a newby         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Now if I were going to actually use this for fighting I might make a slight design change to it. I would probably go without the ricasso, and have a smaller pommel to keep it balanced. Seems to me if I were fighting I would rather have the added speed of less metal and weight than the added looks of the ricasso.

Lance,

With all due respect, it’s really a question of exposure. I assure you that if you were going to use this for fighting, and if you took the time to learn how to use it, you would have no issues and require no changes. I’ve handled it one, using it much as I would any Long sword. Although I'm still inexpereinced in this realm, IMO speed and agility are not an issue. Its fast enough, it’s agile enough, and it can be extremely powerful in the strike.

You have a weapon there. A reproduction of something designed, in its day, to kill people quickly and efficiently. Please don’t forget that it can be every bit as dangerous as a loaded gun.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Viceroy! - Impressions of a newby         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Lance,

With all due respect, it’s really a question of exposure. I assure you that if you were going to use this for fighting, and if you took the time to learn how to use it, you would have no issues and require no changes. I’ve handled it one, using it much as I would any Long sword. Although I'm still inexpereinced in this realm, IMO speed and agility are not an issue. Its fast enough, it’s agile enough, and it can be extremely powerful in the strike.

You have a weapon there. A reproduction of something designed, in its day, to kill people quickly and efficiently. Please don’t forget that it can be every bit as dangerous as a loaded gun.

Very good points Joe, and I would add an often overlooked aspect of sword design: what was the intended target. In this case, the function of the sword informs the design. The Viceroy is a military sword - a warsword. The weight, thickness, and design features are geared towards it's intended purpose - battle. Harlan Hastings owns a more civilian or fencing version of this sword made by Peter Johnsson. Harlan's version, while deadly quick, would not hold up very well as a military weapon. So, to remove aspects of the Viceroy's design would change the intended use of the sword. The Viceroy needs it's mass and ricasso to help it perform in a military situation.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Having four inches of the blade not sharpened, if that's what you have, would irritate me. So would having to pay an additional $25 (shipping) to get it fixed.

Actually its only a one inch section thats not sharp, four inches down from the tip. I guess I didn't inquire as to whether I would have to pay shipping, I just assumed I would. I suppose I could check on that. I was going to see about sharpening that spot my self as to not have to bother albion with it, but Mike said I should send it in because they use a diamond sharpener or something. Mike did say if i change my mind I can certainly send it in, which is very cool. Its nice to be able to do business with a company that truly care about its customers.

As for the design change, that's just theoretical in a fantasy scenario, I wasn't saying its not desinged precisely as it should be for its intended role. Seems to me the type of warrior you are would be reflective of your personality and such, kind of like playing a role playing game, you've got a certain fighting style which is a projection of who you are and your attributes and abilities, and you select weapons to match the style. Knowing my level of detail and precision in other things I would imagine that to tranfer into my fighing style. So I envision my self to be a fast and agile fighter of high precision, in which case I would go with a slightly faster blade with increase one handed use, rather than a beefier one for military use. Maybe I've jsut spent to many hours palying a freelance adventurer in Morrowind. Big Grin Other than the added metal I would say the Viceroy seems to be the kind of blade I would like, given its very balance in having a good point for thrusts and also a wide blade for cutting. Also its visual appeal makes it something i would be proud to carry. But otherswise as military warsword I can certainly see why its designed the way it is, I was never questioning that aspect of its design. I was jsut nevisioning it in my fantasy realm. Happy

Lance
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I guess I didn't inquire as to whether I would have to pay shipping, I just assumed I would. I suppose I could check on that.
Oops! Eek! My apologies to the folks at Albion for my initial response. I assumed that Lance had already checked with you regarding shipping and all that. Sorry. Sad

Quote:
Maybe I've jsut spent to many hours palying a freelance adventurer in Morrowind.
Hey, Lance. Next time you pass through Balmora, drop by the South Wall Corner Club and I'll buy you a Cyrodillic brandy, and we can brag about our latest quests. I'll be the big Nord at the back table, you can't miss me.Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I've jsut spent to many hours palying a freelance adventurer in Morrowind.
Hey, Lance. Next time you pass through Balmora, drop by the South Wall Corner Club and I'll buy you a Cyrodillic brandy, and we can brag about our latest quests. I'll be the big Nord at the back table, you can't miss me.Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Sure thing! Big Grin

Have you seen the new Elder Scrolls? The graphics are amazing. I can't wait to dive into that one. There goes another 200 hours! Laughing Out Loud

Check it out, its totally awesome, not out till the end of the year though. Sad

http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_screenshots_01.htm

This is an in game screen shot...

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, there ya go. The individual in the screen shot is pretty heavily armoured. I don't think you want to lighten that Viceroy up all!
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Well, there ya go. The individual in the screen shot is pretty heavily armoured. I don't think you want to lighten that Viceroy up all!

So is the ricasso mainly to add mass for added momentum, or is it to strengthen the blade? Becuase it seems to me if the blade were to have a weak area its going to be right where the thin handle meets it, rather than above that point.

Lance
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

So is the ricasso mainly to add mass for added momentum, or is it to strengthen the blade? Becuase it seems to me if the blade were to have a weak area its going to be right where the thin handle meets it, rather than above that point.

Lance
I think the ricasso does add some strength at the blade/hilt area, but it could also be used on a sword like yours as another gripping surface fore more powerful/precise thrusts. Happy

As for the next Elder Scrolls: I can't wait for that baby to come out! See those mountains in the distance in the screenshot? From what I've heard, you'll be able to ride right up to them and even climb them in real time! This could prove to be the most open-ended video game in history. Eek! : Happy
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the look of "grain" on the blade, and my personal taste would possibly like to see the grain effect of parallel strokes on the pomel and hilt too, rather than the circular type finish. Maybe that wouldn't look right though, I can't say. I guess it looks right the way it is.

I was thinking of asking them if that is possible when I get the chance to place another order. I seem to like duller finishes more then I once did.

*thanks for posting that ES pic*

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Viceroy! - Impressions of a newby
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic