Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Different Tool Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: A Different Tool         Reply with quote

I ran into this by coïncidence. Made in Pakistan. Steel. Looks like it's hand made as it's slightly irregular and has visible hammer marks. $20 bucks or so IIRC. Not really sharp (yet) but no doubt extremely dangerous anyway, especially for innocent bystanders.

Chakram (From Wikipedia)
The chakram is a throwing weapon that was used by the ancient Indians; it is basically a flat metal ring with a sharp outer edge from 5 to 12 inches in diameter.
The word comes from Sanskrit and means round, circle, or wheel. Earliest references come from Ramayana and Mahabharata epics (here chakram is the weapon of the god Indra). It was used by Indian armies, mostly by Sikhs.
Effective range 40 to 50 meters. Because of its aerodynamic shape (similar to an aeroplane wing) it is not easily deflected by wind.

I really look forward to testing it. I doubt I can hit something but I'm going to have tons of fun. Cool

No Warrior Princess jokes please. Wink
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A Different Tool         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
No Warrior Princess jokes please. Wink

Xena never crossed my mind, really! Razz

Seriously, though... I've always been somewhat intrigued by this lethal frisbee. I would be that it will take some playing with to get used to, and a lot more to be any good. Definitely keep us posted.

By the way, where did you find it? Though my collection is strictly European, I might make an exception for an oddball piece like this.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

May I suggest either using a non-sharp substitute, or finding yourself a rather large quiet field if you are going to use that thing? Razz Cool thing though. Any idea what kind of steel it is?

Johan Schubert Moen
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: A Different Tool         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

By the way, where did you find it?

I got it through an aquaintance.
I just did a bit of searching and finally found it here-> http://www.dubosedistributors.com/MasterKnives.php?page=59
According to that catalog it's stainless steel, but I don't know it that's true. We'll see how it holds up.

Mine is the PAK-CT10.
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just make sure you check in the instructions that it isn't designed to come back to the owner like a boomerang !! We don't want a special UPDATE on myArmoury.com entitled 'Anton de Vries RIP, ' He didn't read the small-print''

Have fun with it anyway. Didn't the Sikhs used to use those things ? Oh, you mentioned that above !

Daniel
Robert W. Betten

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

until i see one of those in use at an effective range for it to be worth the effort of making one....I'll take the stance that they're a poor design for a weapon, its severrely limited to how much it can do.
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A similar item from Atlanta Cutlery. The AC version looks a bit wider than the one pictured above (a bit more to grip, perphaps?). Happy http://www.atlantacutlery.com/webstore/showpr...osition=13
They make a smaller version as well.

P.S. Wasn't there a bad guy in a James Bond movie that had something like this built into the brim of his hat? Laughing Out Loud
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert W. Betten wrote:
until i see one of those in use at an effective range for it to be worth the effort of making one....I'll take the stance that they're a poor design for a weapon, its severrely limited to how much it can do.

Most thrown weapons are, including shuriken, throwing knifes and the like. Javelins or throwing axes can be effective (with luck), but again, over quite short ranges. But over all, beeing able to throw something is preferable to not having any ranged weapon at all.
Without having tried one I would guess that is more usefull than a throwing knife, and longer ranged than a javelin. On the other hand, is has the obvious drawback of not beeing usefull as a hand weapon; You have to throw it with the off hand, or lower your weapon.

As a side note:
The greeks used Discus as a weapon of war. It is heavier than the Chakram, and would be use more like long distance rock, but is thrown in the same way.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Thu 12 May, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
P.S. Wasn't there a bad guy in a James Bond movie that had something like this built into the brim of his hat? Laughing Out Loud

That would be Oddjob from Goldfinger. Good for decapitating statues. Happy

Interesting weapon. Though its range may be limited, in sufficient quantities, it could do a good job of softening up the fornt lines seconds before your front lines engage.

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
That would be Oddjob from Goldfinger. Good for decapitating statues. Happy .

Yep. That's the guy. I couldn't remember his name or the name of the movie. Thanks. Happy Oh, great! Now I have the theme stuck in my head: Goooolllllldfinger! Razz Laughing Out Loud Happy

I assume that an object like this would be thrown by holding it from the inside, rather than like a frisbee, where you actually hold the edge? Seems like a frisbeelike throw would open up the user's hand in short order. Eek! Just curious. Happy
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Test results and some thoughts:

Range is (estimate) slightly better than a javelin but, possibly because I lack practice, much harder to aim.
Trajectory can either be straight or curved, but because of the weight it doesn't work nearly as well as a frisbee.

The big surprise came when I threw it (repeatedly) into the side of a sandy hill: It disappeared completely. Eek! Eek! Eek!
This is a *much* more powerful weapon than I thought it would be: When sharpened, a hit will cause very serious wounds/amputation/death.
I used to think of it as a shuriken-without-points, but it's more like a sword-with-a-circular-blade.

Aaron's 'lethal frisbee' made me laugh, but it's actually spot on. Hit an unarmored person with it, and chances seem pretty good that it will kill.
Well-padded armor will defeat it though.

This one's pretty sturdy: I hit rocks with it a couple of times, and the result were superficial dents in the edge. It didn't break or bend.

Pros:
Powerful
Reasonably good range
Light and small, and therefore very easy to carry
Cons:
Difficult to master
Can only be used as a projectile
Limited armor-piercing capability

This is a strange weapon. I thought it would hardly work, if at all.
I feel different about it now.
I can understand why people used and liked it, apart from possible religious motives.
On the other hand, I can also understand why people would prefer the javelin.

This is not a toy: If you get one, be extremely careful with it. Even unsharpened it will easily kill. Don't let kids handle it.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the rundown, Anton!

I figured it would take some significant practice to become proficient - not unlike a sword, longbow, or even a sling. Still, though, I can't imagine what a volley (would that be the proper term here?) of these would do to a line of the lesser-armoured. I know longbows weren't cheap, but I wonder how this would compare in cost? With the bow, you get a bunch of shots - this, only one. Probably not a fair comparison, but still a fair question. Likewise, a thrown spear, pavise, or javelin would be a one-time deal, too...

I am even more intrigued at this point, and I may eventually get one to play with (respectfully, of course...) if I can find an appropriate area to do so.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The way I see it archers should be considered artillery. Everyone knows they're cowards and lousy swordsmen and therefore worthless in a real fight. Wink
The javelin and for that matter the chakram, are infantry weapons, i.e. carried by infantry to be employed right before the hand-to-hand starts.
That's why I didn't compare the chakram to bow/arrow.

I have been wondering about chakram vs javelin production cost too, but I just lack the knowledge to make a more or less educated guess.

***Disclaimer***
Hey I was only kidding about those archers and practice archery myself. Don't shoot me.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Sun 15 May, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suppose I was over-generalizing with the longbow/chakram comparison. I was looking at it as a "missile weapon" category vs. tightening it to close vs. long distance. You have a good point, though - don't really need to be looked at as a comparison.
-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Different Tool
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic