Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > hand forged? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: hand forged?         Reply with quote

How is it they can make a hand forged blade with this much accentuation plus silver plating and wall plaque for only $225? Is it really that cheaply(poorly) done? I know albion has said they are not able to hand forge anything as the price would be much higher than what it already is.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/showpr...Position=9
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't know... It really depends on the going price of labor in India, I suppose. Windlass Steelcrafts, owner of Museum Replicas, originates there....
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: hand forged?         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
How is it they can make a hand forged blade with this much accentuation plus silver plating and wall plaque for only $225? Is it really that cheaply(poorly) done? I know albion has said they are not able to hand forge anything as the price would be much higher than what it already is.

Well, for starters, Windlass does this work in India, where the labor tends to be a wee bit cheaper than it is in Wisconsin, or anywhere else in the US, for that matter. Another point is that the level of the workmanship, and the level of quality standards from a premium production house like Albion or Arms & Armor is of a higher grade than you will get from a Windlass piece. More time spent at a higher rate = higher cost. You get what you pay for.

There is a general economic "rule" that applies in many situations: the 80:20 rule. You can often get 80% "value" for only 20% of the price. Take cars, for instance. A new Chevy Corvette will set you back something on the order of US$50,000. A new Aston Martin Vanquish, with very similar (but not quite as good) raw performance numbers (i.e., acceleration, braking, handling measurements, etc.) will cost you about $250,000. They are both high performance cars, but, while the Corvette has a pretty nice level of fit and finish, no one will try to claim that it matches an Aston Martin. And Aston Martin is keeping reasonably busy selling cars to those who appreciate, and can afford, the difference.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, anyone can pound a piece of hot metal into the shape of a sword. In that respect forging isn't really that hard or expensive. But can everyone forge and finish a blade with correct distal and profile tapers that are often non-linear? Does everyone know how to properly distribute a swords overall mass so that it has the right dynamic handling qualities? Does everyone know how to achieve the proper edge geometry for a given sword design? Does everyone know how to accurately construct a sword hilt so that it's strong and solid? Most important of all, does everyone know how to combine all of these elements in the right relationship so that they work together in harmony?

No, everyone does not.

Does everyone know how to pound out a leaf spring into a sword shaped blade? Does everyone know how to apply nickel silver plating in an attempt at aesthetic effect? Does everyone know how to stick a piece of red plastic into a sword pommel for a cheep "gee wiz" factor?

Not everyone does it, but I don't think it would be that hard to figure out.

I think that sword is worth the asking price and if understood in the right context it will satisfy it's owner, but it's hardly a masterpiece.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very well stated, Patrick.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: hand forged?         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

There is a general economic "rule" that applies in many situations: the 80:20 rule. You can often get 80% "value" for only 20% of the price.

Never heard that before, but it's interesting and I think pretty accurate. Thanks Steve!

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: hand forged?         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

There is a general economic "rule" that applies in many situations: the 80:20 rule. You can often get 80% "value" for only 20% of the price.

Never heard that before, but it's interesting and I think pretty accurate. Thanks Steve!

You are very welcome, Russ. It's nice to be able to actually contribute something every now and then!
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that the 80/20 rule idea has a lot of merit in many matters of technology. You can get the latest fancy computer with all the bells and whistles for, say $3500, but you can get one that does most of what the fancy one will do, say 80%, for under a grand. You pay a lot for that extra bit of cutting-edge tech, or finish. I used to race bicycles back in the 80s and the 80/20 rule applied to those as well, although I called it the "Grand Rule" at the time. Up to about $1000, you got what you paid for, i.e., a $500 bike was about twice as good as a $250 bike, and a $1000 bike was about twice again as good as that, but over that $1000 break-point it was diminishing returns big-time. A $2000 bike was maybe 10%, and a $3000 bike maybe 20% better than the $1000 bike. Thus, I tended to recommend that guys who wanted to ride and ride well, but had no aspirations to be in the Olympics or the Tour d'France, should buy a nice bike for about $1000.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Allison wrote:
I think that the 80/20 rule idea has a lot of merit in many matters of technology....

Usually, when we speak of technology these days, we are referring to high technology items, like your examples of computers, and touring/racing bicycles. I agree that the "80/20 rule" applies to high technology matters such as these. But, I would say that it applies to low tech as well - any object made by human hands. It is a matter of additional effort yielding returns that are diminishing, but which may still be worthwhile to some. Could apply to making a quilt, or making swords.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > hand forged?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic