Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard project for the Albion Next Gen Vinland Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Scabbard project for the Albion Next Gen Vinland         Reply with quote

I had initially thought of posting this as a continuation of my Scabbard project for the Next Gen Knight thread, but decided to start a new one, as they are different projects. Though they start off much the same, they will branch out in their own ways.

The wood core's construction was quite simlar to that of the core for the Knight, though the process went much more quickly and smoothly. I started out with two 1/2 x 4 x 4 poplar slats which I picked up at the local Lowes. Using the center line I marked on each piece, I traced out the profile of the blade. Using a dremel, and the Vinland itself as a constant reference, I was able to approximate the interior of the scabbard in a fashion similar to the core for the Knight. As this is also a lenticular blade with a fuller, I chose to have the mouth follow the contour of the blade. The fuller risers extend down into the scabbard core approximately 1 inch. I left a looser fit than I did with the Knight's core, as the suspension will be a baldric rather than a belt, and I wanted a slightly easier draw. Once roughed out, I test fit the blade to each half, and noted high points. A second pass with the dremel cleaned this up nicely. Now satisfied with the fit of each half, I mated them and secured them with clamps for a fitting and draw test. Results were great. Separating the halves again, I sanded the interior smooth by hand, and finished it with a couple of coats of linseed oil, and glued the halves together.

Next, I drew the midline and blade profile on the outside of the scabbard core. I then allowed for a 1/4 inch thick wall along the edges, and drew lines parallel to the bulk of the blade. As the blade curved in, I drew two more lines per edge to approximate this change in profile. The results can be seen here:

The scabbard was then shaped to this profile with a benchtop disc sander with 60 grit. I traced the outline of the guard at the mouth to help guide me in my shaping of the core:

Using this as a guide, I roughed in the bevels on the faces with the disc sander, then used a 60 grit belt sander to shape and thin the sides.

The walls are a consistent 2.2 - 2.5 mm thick. I touched up any rough spots with a 120 grit belt, then 150 grit by hand. Once done with the shaping, I sealed the core with a couple of coats of linseed oil. Total work time was approximately 8 hours.

Here's a pic of the Vinland in the scabbard core:

And one of the Knight in it's core, the Vinland in it's core, and the Landgraf in Albion's Campaign Line scabbard.

I will be away for work for the next couple of weeks WTF?! but hope to have the leather to finish the outsides upon my return.

Also, I posted smaller pictures in this thread in order to facilitate loading time. Larger pictures are located in my album here on myArmoury: Vinland Scabbard Project Album

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I got the leatherwork done on the scabbard. Now, I have to work the chape, band, and baldric fittings, as well as do some engraving on all metal parts. Huge learning experience, but I'm pleased.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What are you trying to do? Get all of us to make our own scabbards?
It will come to that you know, if you keep this up.
They look good, and you make it look easy. Which it probably isn't....

I could use a scabbard or two myself.

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
What are you trying to do? Get all of us to make our own scabbards?
It will come to that you know, if you keep this up.
They look good, and you make it look easy. Which it probably isn't....

I could use a scabbard or two myself.

Cool

Thanks, Anton!

Easy? I doubt anyone wanted to be anywere around the incessant swearing while I was working the leather this morning. Man, did I ever learn a few lessons. The scabbards are definitely interesting projects. Still a lot to do with this one, and I hope it finishes well. The Knight's core was my first ever attempt at shaping wood, and this was my first run with shaping leather in any significant way. Though I certainly respected the works of real masters of the art such as Kevin Iseli before the projects, it's much deeper now. If you have the interest and access to the proper tools, I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot. Though the scabbard isn't perfect, I'm still pleased, and proud that I can say "Wow! I did that?!".

I have oak for the core for the Regent, which is, of course, a diamond-section blade like the Mercenary and 15th C Bastard. That's likely to be a bit more difficult, due to the shaping I would like to do with the core - a challenge both in shaping the core, and applying the leather to the contours. The metal work for it may well be way out of my league. We'll have to see if that turns out at all. Worst case, I'm out a couple of frustrating days and a few bucks. Best case... got a sweet home for the Regent.

Oh, by the way... the "twins" look good! How about another thread comparing the two? I'm still awaiting the SL Bastard (mine's next out the door), and am really seriously considering ordering the Merc in July. Seeing them side by side is pretty cool... bet they'll be just as sweet on MY wall. Razz

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron, man, you're making me wish I'd paid more attention in woodshop as a youngster. Mad Sad Beautiful work! For me, the nicest features of your scabbards is the mouth of the scabbard matching the cross section of the blade; that's really cool. Cool Where do you get the leather for these projects? Is there a good online source? Question Happy
BTW: I was wondering if the bottom sword in Anton's photo was a Squire 15th C. Bastard. Apparently it is. Nice! Happy
Nate C.

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
...I have oak for the core for the Regent, which is, of course, a diamond-section blade like the Mercenary and 15th C Bastard....

I would Highly recommend that you re-consider your wood choice for the Viceroy scabbard! In case you didn't know, Oak is very acidic and could damage the sword if used improperly. I would hate to see the Viceroy get messed up by its own scabbard. I hope this helps.

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Aaron, man, you're making me wish I'd paid more attention in woodshop as a youngster. Mad Sad Beautiful work! For me, the nicest features of your scabbards is the mouth of the scabbard matching the cross section of the blade; that's really cool. Cool Where do you get the leather for these projects? Is there a good online source? Question Happy
BTW: I was wondering if the bottom sword in Anton's photo was a Squire 15th C. Bastard. Apparently it is. Nice! Happy

Thanks, Scott!

I was able to get the leather online from Tandy. They have physical stores, too, and I would have preferred that to online, but I got what I wanted without any issue. I'm not sure if there is one close to you, but ordering online was cake. I was able to get 2-3 oz veg-tanned quite reasonably. There are lots of other sources, too, but I went with what I was already familiar and comfortable with. As for paying attention in woodshop, well... I never did. Just have patience. I have a knack for wood - always have - but it's not too hard if you put your mind to it.

And yes, that is the SL Bastard in Anton's photo.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate C. wrote:
In case you didn't know, Oak is very acidic and could damage the sword if used improperly. I would hate to see the Viceroy get messed up by its own scabbard. I hope this helps.

Yes, Nate, thanks. I had forgotten about that with oak. I initially wanted poplar, but all of it that they had was crappy. I'm going to take a significantly different approach with this one, however, and I think it'll be ok. I plan on completely sealing the interior of the core with epoxy, and lining it with oiled felt or wool. To be extra cautious, I'll seal the entire core inside and out before applying the leather. I want a scabbard that looks good, works well, but definitely don't want to see the sword get mangled.

Much appreciated, Nate! Thanks for "having my back".

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
[I was able to get the leather online from Tandy. They have physical stores, too, and I would have preferred that to online, but I got what I wanted without any issue. I'm not sure if there is one close to you, but ordering online was cake.
Geez, I can't believe I didn't think of Tandy. I haven't shopped with them since we made wallets in Cub Scouts (seriously). Eek! I checked their website, and it turns out they have a store about 5 miles from my house. Thanks for the tip. Happy
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 10 May, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
I checked their website, and it turns out they have a store about 5 miles from my house. Thanks for the tip. Happy

No problem. You're lucky that there's one anywhere close - doubly so that it's THAT close. You may be able to just purchase what you need rather than have the space under the bed full of extra material like I now do. I needed a strip roughly 3 feet by 8 inches. I got 26 square feet. Just have to find more to do with it, now... as if that'll be hard.

You have another advantage. Check the website before you go to the store. There may be internet-only specials that you can get if you ask, plus you can take advantage of any instore specials as well. You also can avoid a lot of the guesswork - if you don't know what you are looking for, the web isn't going to help. If I hadn't done some leatherwork in the past, I'd have been hopelessly lost. The folks at Tandy have usually been quite helpful.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Oh, by the way... the "twins" look good!

They do, don't they? Big Grin
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

How about another thread comparing the two?

I got the Bastard yesterday and haven't really had time for it yet, except of course the mandatory obsessive cleaning & oiling session.
Later today I will take it to the dojo to wave it around a bit.
Never dared to take the Merc there, afraid that some moron would skewer himself on it.
I'll take some side-by-side pictures too, if the weather permits.
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work, Aaron. You keep this up, and people are going to start asking if you take comissions.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work so far Aaron. I'm eager to see the finished product.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 11 May, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, both for the compliments and encouragement.

Patrick - whatever stage it happens to be in, I'll bring it to Atlanta. Definitely interested in your hands-on impression.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found what was probably the steepest part of the learning curve for this project over the past couple of days... but I think I made it through!
I finished hammering, welding, and cleaning up the chape! Big Grin

I started with 22-gauge carbon steel plates, 2.5" x 4", and traced the outline of the scabbard tip, then drew in some contour lines where I felt they would go. Looked kind of like a topo map. Worked pretty close to one, too! Anyway, I started hammering them out cold, thinking the metal would be thin enough to behave. I was sadly mistaken. Add a bit of heat with a propane torch, however... and this is what I got:

A bit more hammering, a pile of welding, too much grinding and polishing, and this is what I ended up with:

It isn't perfect, but it's as good as I can get it - this time. I'll do more of this type of work in the future, and might even get good at it one day. I've only tried shaping metal once before, with horriffic results, but I was like 14. I have never welded before. I say this to encourage everyone to take a chance - if you decide ahead of time that you can't do something, then you can't. Keep an open mind, some patience, and just maybe you can!

I may engrave the chape and clip to match the Vinland, or I may just leave them be. I'm kind of liking the plainer look, but the engravings could add a little something special. The baldric is next - but you'll have to wait for pictures.

Thanks for taking a peek!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice work, Aaron.
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Aaron,
I'm very impressed by your work because I'm making a scabbard for my own Vinland . I could work with wood and leather but feel unable to work with metal (and have nothing for the welding job), so I ordered chapes from The Moat of Albion to complete the scabbard.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Le-Palud wrote:
Hi Aaron,
I'm very impressed by your work because I'm making a scabbard for my own Vinland . I could work with wood and leather but feel unable to work with metal (and have nothing for the welding job), so I ordered chapes from The Moat of Albion to complete the scabbard.

Thank you, Jean! The metal work was, by far, the "worst" of the project thus far. Forming the metal wasn't that bad, but welding... that part was hell. I hope the final bits from The Moat will round out your project nicely. Post some pics of the final project, would you? I would love to see them, as would others, I'm sure!

This afternoon (as long as things stay slow here at work), I plan to start laying out and tooling the baldric. That should prove to be both a fun and challenging task. I'll post some more pictures as things come along. I hope to have this part done over the next couple of weeks.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard project for the Albion Next Gen Vinland
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic