Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Jousting Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: ...the Devil is in the details...         Reply with quote

The man is too long winded for me to cite verbatim, but I came across an interesting Gem for you horsey folks:

Certain Instruction Of Orders Militarie
Sir John Smythe
page 169

paraphrased:

The Squadron should charge over 30 paces, 20 at the gallop, 10 at the full Carirre

(A new term for me, but I assume that means the full run?)

He reiterates a little later to not "put forward" into the full Carirre beyond 10 paces.

So, there you have at least one period citation to go by... Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would make sense that if one is talking about the shock of impact the speed of impact is all that matters not for how long a distance the horses were moving at maximum speed.

Now if covering the distance is important to not be subjected to too many voleys of musketery or canon fire then maybe not ambling over slowly to the ennemi would be a good idea.

Also in the last 10 paces there is not enough time for the formation to become disorganised.

As I have no real life experience with riding horses I hope the above makes sense even if only based on what I hope is logical reasonning.

Looking forward to Gordon's comments. Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I had a great, long post, but the server ate my homework, so a slightly shorter one, with fewer quotes, will have to do now.

I've been digging through John Cruso's "Militarie Instructions for the Cavall'rie", in the form of a facsimile of the first edition as printed in 1632, with commentary by Brig. Peter Young. Unfortunately all of the commentary is focused upon the ECW period and how the manual relates, so isn't terribly valid for what we're talking about. But the text certainly is.

First, Cruso defines "pace" in a footnote on page 102 as "[F]ive foote make a pace, 1000 paces make a mile". This seems to be the consensus of most Renaissance authors, though I believe a few go with the more modern idea that a pace is only a yard, rather than five feet. But we'll go with Cruso's definition here.

As far as gaits go, Cruso has this in capter XXVII (page 35): "If you will have him to trot, you are to move both your legges forward, for the gallop, to move them more forward, and for the careere to yerk them most forward, and to move the bodie a little forward with it." Thus we have Trot, Gallop and Careere, the last being a full-on hell-for-leather run (there are still some folks who quarrel with the definitions of "canter" and "gallop" as to which is the faster. We'll say that "careere" in this case is full-speed for a large horse carrying an armoured man, around 30 MPH.)

In chapter XXVIII (page 37) "Managing arms, extending to postures and motions. Of exercising the lance." he states that "In his charging of the enemie, he begins upon his pace or trot, then falls into a gallop, but must not begin his careere untill he be within some 60. paces of his enemie; presenting his lance (from the advance) at the half of that distance, and charing it for the shock as occasion serveth." In a footnote Cruso quotes de la Noue: "De 200 pas ils commencent a' galloper, et de 100 a' courir a' toute bride, qui est faire erreur, n'estat besoin de prendre tant d'espace" meaning that the French gendarmerie tended to start their gallop too soon, at 200 paces, and the careere at 100, also too far out. You would wind your horses quickly with those sorts of charges, leaving little reserve for further charging.

Further on, on page 97, Cruso says that "If a company of Lances were to fight against foot, they were not to give their charge in a united bodie (neither upon this nor any occasion whatsoever) because even the second rank of them hardly doth any certain execution, but the were to charge them rank after rank, wheeling off to the reare; to that end keeping large distances between rank and rank." Then "if the Lances were to fight against Cuirassiers, they were (by two ranks together) to fetch their careers, and so to charge them, especially on the flanks and rear: every second rank forbearing the shock, till the first had done it, and was wheeled off."

Per Cuirassiers vs. Curiassiers: "If one companie of Cuirassiers be to fight against another, your enemie charging in full career, you are to make a Carracoll..." he then goes on to describe a rather unlikely maneuver that he claims to have gotten from Walhausen of dividing your force to let the enemy ride straight through, then pouncing upon his flanks. But no matter what, it certainly describes Pistoliers charging in at "full career".

So there is one more tidbit of period literature to describe fully that not only Lancers but Pistoliers (Cuirassiers) were expected to charge in at speed. More later!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife will be thrilled, I need to expand our library (again) Wink

Thanks for that info, Gordon, you sent me in a direction that I hadn't thought of on some equestrian combat research that I am doing for the Schola St. George. I'll make sure to post me findings here (if anyone is interested).

And tell Mike Neeley, hi from me. We used to work together at the Chicago Medieval Times.

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd: You bet! I'll say hi to Mike next time I talk to him... amazingly enough he's into the whole "Father and Husband" routine now, LOL! Good for him, I say!

I would be most happy to work with you in building up some good information for your Schola St. George research. There is (obviously!) a HUGE amount that we don't really know about the function and details of the mounted arm from the period, which is there for us to find if only we dig a little deeper. So we both need to get out our shovels (aka "library cards" )and start at it! Big Grin

I'm digging deeper into Francios de la Noue to, and finding some interesting information as well. One of the things he notes is that while a single Lancer will often beat a single Pistolier, it isn't true for masses. As Cuso notes, you can't focus all of your Lancers together in a mass and have any good result due to the weapon's limitations; however the main strength of Pistoliers IS their mass. Further he points out that once the melee has broken out, the Pistolier is even MORE dangerous (at least until he runs out of loaded pistols, Big Grin ) for as de la Noue points out as well, the Lance is a single-shot weapon, and the Lancer is forced to his sword in the melee (unless he is wise enough to also have a pair of pistols!) I'll try to dig up those quotes for you later.

Anyway, glad that you are finding out cool stuff here, I sure am! (Hmmm... methinks we need to try an experiment: you form a squadron of heavy Lancers in full armour, I'll form a squadron of Pistoliers in half-suits, and we can play. But if I have to fire blanks/paint balls, you have to use boffer lances!) Big Grin

Take care, and I look forward to hearing about your research!

Cheers,

Gordon

Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Whereupon I will say that although the squadrons of spears [ lances] do give a gallant charge, yet it can work no great effect, for at the outset it killeth none, yea it is a miracle if any be slain with the spear. Only it may wound some horses, and as for the shock it is many time of small force, where[as] the perfect Reiter do never discharge their pistols but in joining and striking [close] at hand, they wound, aiming always either at the face or at the tigh. The second rank alos shooteth off so [that] the forefront of the men-at-arms squadron is at the first meeting half overthrown and maimed. Although the first rank may with their spears do some hurt, especially to the horses, yet the other ranks following cannot do so, [or] at the least [only] the second and third, but are driven to cast away their spears and to help themselves with their swords. Herein we are to consider two things which experience hath confirmed. The one that the Reiter is never so dangerous as when they be mingled with the enemy, for then be they all fire. The other, that two squadrons meeting, they have scarce discharged the second pistol but either the one or the other turneth away. For they contesteth no longer as the Romans did against other nations, who oftentimes kept the fieldfighting two hours face to face before either party turned back. By all the afore-said reasons, I am driven to avow that a squadron of pistols doing their duties shall break a squadron of spears.

-La Noue, Discourse, 360-361

Hope this helps a bit Happy

/Daniel
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Quote:
Whereupon I will say that although the squadrons of spears [ lances] do give a gallant charge, yet it can work no great effect, for at the outset it killeth none, yea it is a miracle if any be slain with the spear. Only it may wound some horses, and as for the shock it is many time of small force, where[as] the perfect Reiter do never discharge their pistols but in joining and striking [close] at hand, they wound, aiming always either at the face or at the tigh. The second rank alos shooteth off so [that] the forefront of the men-at-arms squadron is at the first meeting half overthrown and maimed. Although the first rank may with their spears do some hurt, especially to the horses, yet the other ranks following cannot do so, [or] at the least [only] the second and third, but are driven to cast away their spears and to help themselves with their swords. Herein we are to consider two things which experience hath confirmed. The one that the Reiter is never so dangerous as when they be mingled with the enemy, for then be they all fire. The other, that two squadrons meeting, they have scarce discharged the second pistol but either the one or the other turneth away. For they contesteth no longer as the Romans did against other nations, who oftentimes kept the fieldfighting two hours face to face before either party turned back. By all the afore-said reasons, I am driven to avow that a squadron of pistols doing their duties shall break a squadron of spears.

-La Noue, Discourse, 360-361

Hope this helps a bit Happy

/Daniel

Thanks Daniel! That would be the quote! 18th Discourse, as I recall, correct?

Cheers!

Gordon

Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Tue 09 May, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Kelty wrote:
There's another aspect that you have to consider for the timeframe, and that is the matter of left-handedness. Christians believed the left to be at the least, weaker, illicit or irregular, all the way to the extremes of evil or wicked (remember, the Devil preys on weakness).

The word 'left' in Italian is sinestra, rooted from the Latin for "contrary" or "unfavorable". Before adopting "gauche", Old French also used "senestre". Sinister is described in Old French as "prompted by malice or ill-will" in 1411. This pretty much holds true through the Middle English and German tongues as well.

There are many examples of how this thought was permeated through culture (the bad guy always enters from stage left), colloquialisms and habit (marching and manuevers originate with the right foot, and birds flying from the left are considered bad omens), and one throwback that can still be recognized in many of our own lifetimes is how up until the last 40 years or so, Children were discouraged from exploring their natural tendencies to be left handed, especially in the Catholic and Jesuit parochial schools.

Also think about how often you've seen historic left-handed firearms and swords, and how many swords are hung on the right side of the body....

...and that would be never. Happy

Matthew

P.S. Interestingly, prior to Christianity making it's stand, the English, Romans, Slavs, and others had considered the Left to be lucky... Happy

I'm not so sure that our modern notion that left-handers (and thus left-handed warriors) were less prevalent "back then" really holds water.

For instance, from the translation of Sigmund Ringeck's fechtbuch at http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/Ringeck.htm:

"Note: This tenet is addressed to left-handers and right-handers. If you are a right-handed fencer and you are closing to an opponent and you think you can hit him, do not strike the first blow from the (your) left side. Because you are weak there and you cannot resist, if he binds strongly against your blade. Because of this, strike from the right side, you can work strongly "Am Schwert" ("on the sword") and you can use all techniques you like. So, if you are left-handed, do not strike from the right side, since left-handers are usually not used to strike effectively from the right side and vice versa. "

Obviously, there were enough left-handers seeking instruction in the use of the longsword at the time this was written (sometime between 1389 and 1440?), to justify an explicit mention of the difference in technique employed between left and right handers.

Furthermore, there is evidence that indicates that left-handers may have been *more* prevalent in our past than in our current, relatively stable societies, where we do not experience and engage in violent exchanges on a day to day basis.

http://economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3471297

The study involved "traditional" societies, because these are the ones less likely to use firearms in their violent day-to-day conflicts (the use of firearms negates any advantages of left-handedness).

"the two researchers found that the proportion of left-handers in a traditional society is, indeed, correlated with its homicide rate." Thus, societies with more to-the-death one-on-one fighting going on have more left-handers, since being a left-hander is an advantage in this context.

Dustin.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Jousting Question
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: