Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

If mud preserved the rest of the sword, it might be reasonable to guess that any parts protruding above the surface of the mud (e.g., a sidering) would not be preserved. But then...what happened to the cross?
Sean Flynt wrote:
If mud preserved the rest of the sword, it might be reasonable to guess that any parts protruding above the surface of the mud (e.g., a sidering) would not be preserved. But then...what happened to the cross?

Crossguards always stands out and take all bumps, scratch, hit's and get dings and cuts on them,
and they are like a open wound witch rust bits first, like a bacteria,
and if you look close at them, they are very thin, i guess 2-3mm,
so they have just rusted away, there can have been a ring to but it have been brooked of,
maybe thats why the ends of it are so flat. and in 50 meters deep i think stuff rust very slowly.

:D Is this readable ? :D
I was thinking that perhaps it could have been one of those pretzel-shaped hilts. But then again... What do I know, I just speculating.
Any more statistics on this sword...?
If I understand correctly, this sword was 120 cm long (around 47", typical longsword length) and the photo gives me the impression of long hilt in the German style....(8" to 9" allowing clearance between two hands, and a pretty typical 26" long blalde.)

The base width does not look so massive as to suggest it was a specilized two hander (plausibly an Oakeshotte IVII?), just a war sword meant to be handled in the German tradition. Can anyone comment further or translate more data (weight, approximate date, etc.) At least one other find from this same lake was dated near 1100 A.D. in a separate article.

Jared Smith
correction on blade length..
I mistyped "26"". The logical blade length would be 36" length....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: