Antiquing of the Schiavona
I picked this new Windlass type2 Schiavona up on E-bay about two weeks ago for a smokin' price of $169.00. Have for along time dreamed of having a Schiavona represented in my 17th c. collection. With that, I decided to do a antique job on it, just for kicks. So, via the Sean Flynt method and with some guidance from the maestro himself, I promised him some pics when I had it done, so Sean....here goes....

3 pics in all .... a group shot of my 17th c. repros. with the Schiavona before the process began, a little blurry close-up of hilt & blade and a full shot of it. May make some further alterations, but you get the jist of things. BTW, thanks Sean for your assistance and insight.

Bill

Attachment: 31.9 KB
Antiqued Schia 2.jpg

Attachment: 30.05 KB
Antique Schia.jpg

Attachment: 42.59 KB
17th c. collection.jpg

Nicely done, Bill! Now tell us... how was the process of antiquing this? Any tips for the rest of us? Learnings you would like to pass on?
Actually this is the second antiquing attempt I've done, The blade on the Von Sussen brass swept hilt rapier was done using the "mustard method". With this one I did the regular vinegar & salt treatment. The hardest parts were the fullers and all the little nooks & crannys of the basket, getting them steel wooled out was a real pain. I found that a broken drum stick, pop-cicle stick (push the steel wool down)or finger nail emory board works well on the fullers.

Patience my young grasshopper.....the best advice I can give. &Thanks

Bill

Last edited by William Goodwin on Tue 31 May, 2005 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cool, Bill! Thanks for the tidbits!

One of these days, I'm going to try this... got a nice axe that just may need some attention, including a proper(ly distressed) hafting.
Cool! I certainly like it better this way. Fun, isn't it? Once you get past the fullers, I mean :D
Hey Sean,

Got a few more pics (haven't scanned ) that I'll send ya'. I went about darkening the pommel a little different that going the ammonia route. Hit the brass a bit with some 400 grit sandpaper, just to rough it up a tad,then took some old charcoal,crushed into a powder and rubbed it into the grooves left by the sanding. Then with my smoker grille cooling off from a cook-out, stuck it in the bottom damper door and let it smoke & heat for about 15 min. Then went back, wiped off the excess and hit it with some "00" steel wool. The charcoal took to the raised areas and recesses fairly well.

Bill
Crazy, man! Whatever works.... :D
Thanks for the pics!
Nicely done Bill, looks good, :cool:
Thanks guys! Now to start on the scabbard.

Bill
One last full picture........

Attachment: 43.22 KB
Schia -full.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: