Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gendaito,superb and Showa English mounts........swan song!!! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Gendaito,superb and Showa English mounts........swan song!!!         Reply with quote

many years ago when japanese swords were cheap, I found a very tatty shin gunto mounted sword. The smith, NagaMura KiyoNobu, was not then and is not now,highly rated. I had owned several by the same smith non of which had any real merit so when on a wet Sunday I set about polishing the blade it was just to bring out the Hamon and move it on.
The sword is very fine, a great gendai blade and probably one of his finest works, at least of those I have seen. It was at this point I met a goldsmith called Ford Hallem, he was living in the area and turning his career towards Kosherei making so we sat down and produced my 'Swan song' in the form of a set of mounts.
I desigened a set based on pond life, he made all of the alloys,Shibuichi,Sentoku, Shakudo etc and over a period of months produced the sword mounts {See illustrations}.
He now considers them "Folk art" as his work under training from Japanese masters has made him a master in his own right.

Thereason for showing these is to illustrate the pleasure of such a whim, it was fun, the sword is now truly a one of and it will be the last to sell from my much diminished collection. I hope you enjoy the photographs................. Happy

Attachment: 9.02 KB
Katana(3a)Boshi.JPG

Attachment: 12.57 KB
Katana(3b)Tsuka.JPG

Attachment: 19.1 KB
Katana(3c)TsubaUru.JPG

Attachment: 33.5 KB
Katana(3d)TsubaOmote.JPG

Attachment: 22.95 KB
Katana(3g)HabakiUru.JPG

Attachment: 16.96 KB
Katana(3f)HabakiOmote.JPG

Attachment: 23.21 KB
Katana(3i)Kurikata.JPG

Attachment: 11.8 KB
Katana(3j)Kojiri.JPG

30 year obsession
Vince Labolito

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are beautiful fittings. Do you have any pictures of the sword fully mounted?

-v

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re Nagamura Gendaito........oops         Reply with quote

Not sure how the previous has two entry, my apologies.

I have here added two picture that did not come up with the previous post.
One of the Mei and the second showing the Kogai which is delicat and in the form od fronds with a May fly which the carp{Kurikata} is about to consume.

Attachment: 6.66 KB
Katana(3)KiyoNobuMei.JPG

Attachment: 8.02 KB
Katana(3e)Kogai.JPG

30 year obsession
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Gendai         Reply with quote

Vince Labolito wrote:
Those are beautiful fittings. Do you have any pictures of the sword fully mounted?

-v

Yes Vince, but as my wife has just called out to say that is 2am and I should be abed!!!!!!!!. perhaps later.
Razz

30 year obsession
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Nagamura Gendaito........oops         Reply with quote

Roy Lindus wrote:
Not sure how the previous has two entry, my apologies.

I have here added two picture that did not come up with the previous post.
One of the Mei and the second showing the Kogai which is delicat and in the form od fronds with a May fly which the carp{Kurikata} is about to consume.

Befor I am off to bed I should add that the blade realy illustrated to me that every sword should be investigated, it was in the 70-80's that many of us seeing a Sowa period blade dissmissed it out of hand. In 90% of the blades it was reasonable to do this but good old kiyonobu set a rule of thumb for me at least. Happy

good night folks...............

30 year obsession
Roy Lindus

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Just for comparison re the gendai mounts         Reply with quote

Just about to get into the shower when I remembered the mounts on a second generation MuraMasa.....interesting ?.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Wink

Attachment: 43.37 KB
Tanto(1b)Tsuba.JPG

Attachment: 38.09 KB
Tanto(1c)Tsuba.JPG

Attachment: 52.98 KB
Tanto(1d)Tsuka.JPG

Attachment: 45.59 KB
Tanto(1e)Tsuka.JPG

Attachment: 48.61 KB
Tanto(1f)Kashira.JPG

Attachment: 17.24 KB
Tanto(1g)Kodzuka.JPG

Attachment: 22.82 KB
Tanto(1)MuraMasaMei.JPG

30 year obsession
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Roy!
I am not any Katana guy but i like that fish and scabbard tip on the green one, well done. Cool

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gendaito,superb and Showa English mounts........swan song!!!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic