Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1380-1420 type armour and helmets... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: 1380-1420 type armour and helmets...         Reply with quote

My friend who hasen´t got internet access would like to collect an armour from ca 1380-1420, He want it to be as a Footsolider assosiated with the Teutonic Order!

All pics. would realy help him. Please give us your input on this!!

Thanks...

Martin

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Chad Sonderberg

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mail, pot hat, and hour glass style gauntlets would be common during that period.

A.C.S.

Lebend mit Ehre, Sterben Sie mit Dignität.
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Sonderberg wrote:
Mail, pot hat, and hour glass style gauntlets would be common during that period.

Great!!!

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Cole Sibley

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some great effigies put together over here: http://arador.com/articles/spaulders2.html Not exactly 'foot soldiers', but some good historic knightly pictures.

Also, though no pictures, a good article (imho) on the Teutonic order that gives some insight into their arms and armour practices: http://www.deremilitari.org/RESOURCES/ARTICLES/ekdahl.htm
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would also say Wisby (Visby?) style 'coats-of-plates'. easier to make than mail.

I would recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861...3026[/url]
Randy Filipovic

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have foot sodier armour but I can share a picture of my 14th century armour with you.

Attachment: 98.67 KB
1.JPG

Cole Sibley

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats really a nice looking harness Randy, thanks for sharing that. If you wear it, would you be able to relate its 'comfort' (good points, bad points, I don't know, anything, really Happy )? I especially like the splinted vambrace and greave. I'm guessing the Uranguatan sabatons are are quite rare for northern Europe Wink .
Randy Filipovic

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Cole for the compliment. I'll try to keep it short so I don't inadvertantly highjack the thread.
The harness is quite comfortable now. It took alot of tweaking to get it just right for me. I'm happiest with the helmet and visor.The helmet is a snug fit and the visor affords good vision in tournaments. I wanted different vambraces and greaves so Rob and I looked through many books and came up with that style. It's more comfortable than the steel versions I've tried.
My only complaint is the breast plate. My mobility is too limited when using a longsword. I would eventually like to make a coat of plates to replace the breast plate. You can never have too much armour in my opinion.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randy Filipovic wrote:
...but I can share a picture of my 14th century armour with you.

Who made the harness for you, Randy?
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Randy Filipovic wrote:

Randy,

I'm guessing Rob is Rob Valentine?

A couple questions;

Was the visor your own design? Rob's? Or something historical, perhaps in a manuscript illustration?

Does your dissatisfaction with the breastplate have anything to do how it fits at your waist? It seems very long in the body.

Is your longsword play based on a particular historical tradition or is it for stage combat? I haven't seen what WMA groups in western Canada are doing these days.

Thanks,
Randy Filipovic

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: Today at 6:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Randy Filipovic wrote:

Randy,

I'm guessing Rob is Rob Valentine?

A couple questions;

Was the visor your own design? Rob's? Or something historical, perhaps in a manuscript illustration?

Does your dissatisfaction with the breastplate have anything to do how it fits at your waist? It seems very long in the body.

Is your longsword play based on a particular historical tradition or is it for stage combat? I haven't seen what WMA groups in western Canada are doing these days.

Thanks for the interest. Yes it is Rob Valentine. He helped me with the work that I couldn't do myself. Hammered ot the gauntlets, knee cops and elbow cops. He designed the x pattern on the copper trim and the brass piece around the cuff of the gauntlet. The cuisses were an old design and the visor was a prototype version.
Basically, my armour was made from parts at the shop and Rob helped and guided me through the process. I spent a year of weekends putting it together. The copper trim was my idea just to be different. I'm sure the visor design was from a historical reference. I remember seeing a picture of it in a book. Rob is adamant about accuracy so I'm not 100% certain where he got his inspiration from.
The breast plate is not displayed right on the mannequin in the picture. When I'm wearing it, the bottom of it is where my navel is. I have no problem bending or twisting. Some of the longsword moves are a bit hard to do because my arms are limited in mobility. I've studied Fiore with friends but my knowledge of longsword is not what I'd like it to be. My longsword play is based on historical reference and stage combat.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randy Filipovic wrote:
The breast plate is not displayed right on the mannequin in the picture. When I'm wearing it, the bottom of it is where my navel is. I have no problem bending or twisting. Some of the longsword moves are a bit hard to do because my arms are limited in mobility. I've studied Fiore with friends but my knowledge of longsword is not what I'd like it to be. My longsword play is based on historical reference and stage combat.

I'm trying to picture what you are saying in regards to mobility. Is it that you are limited in reaching across yourself, like putting your right hand on the left shoulder? I've found that to be the case with some of the armouf I have worn in the past. I think it's just part of it. I didn't find it to be impossible to perform most of the same actions as when unarmoured, but there are some differences in armoured vs. unarmoured combat.

I also found that, with one harness, I had to loosen up the pauldrons slightly, as it was them binding against the breastplate. Do you have the same issues with only the breastplate and no shoulder or arm defences?

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Randy Filipovic

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps I should've started a thread Wink
You are correct Aaron, crossing my arms over my chest is limited and I find some moves a bit harder to execute while in armour. I have no problems with my spaulders or the rest of the arm defense.
All the bugs are worked out and the harness is customised for me now. I have no issues with sword and shield so overall I'm very happy with it.
If anyone wants me to start a new topic so this can be moved please let me know.
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Coat of Plates         Reply with quote

By the Sword offers a leather "Brigandine", similar to those seen in Braveheart. A man at the fencing club I attend has the one in the photo below (in a different colour). The shell is suede, but the leather inside is quite thick and firm (though I don't recall him saying if it was difficult to move in). It does offer rather nice protection from wasters at the least.

I only worry about the authenticity of it. It *looks* historically plausible, and at $350 USD (or thereabouts) isn't *too* unreasonable (they do require that you submit measurements, so they at least will send one to fit the size given).

Any other thoughts? It is far and above the other "Leather Brigandine," the one with the little metal plates. The one with the metal plates is very poor as armour, with the plates as thin as they are (I can literally bend the plates in my fingers).

Cheers,

Attachment: 40.62 KB
coat plates.jpg

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1380-1420 type armour and helmets...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic