Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another review of the Brescia SpadonaProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Thank chad! I had no idea about the pommels and weight... God I love learning stuff.

Glad I could help. This community and the market have really evolved over the last decade. Sword makers and customers used to care just about looks. Then the weight had to be correct. Then balance and center of percussion (static sword measurements) became buzz-words. Now dynamic qualities like pivot points are being brought up.

Mass distribution is super-important to handling and cutting performance. Weight and POB are not the end of the story. Where you put that weight and how you manage the vibrational qualities of the sword without sacrificing anything else is the key.

Fascinating stuff. Happy

Here's an earlier thread on this topic: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1506

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of other nice threads on these topics:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3154&highlight=

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3189&highlight=

Happy

ChadA

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Mass distribution is super-important to handling and cutting performance. Weight and POB are not the end of the story. Where you put that weight and how you manage the vibrational qualities of the sword without sacrificing anything else is the key.

Exactly.

It's all about levers, proper mass distribution, harmonics, geometry... Each of these is pretty serious business in it's own right, but when you have them working in harmony, the sheer complexity of the whole deal is pretty remarkable.

Oh, all that and they look good, too? Neat!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is interesting that the Brescia is thought of here as a "civilian" sword, when "stat wise" it seems quite close to the Viceroy, a sword I think of as very "battlefield" oriented. Just goes to show how difficult it is to judge based on stats alone.

Brescia Specifications
Overall length: 46.5"
Blade length: 35.25"
Blade width (at base): 2.25"
COG: 3.5" from cross
COP: 19.75" from cross
Weight: 3 lbs 4 oz

Viceroy
Total length: 46.76" (118.8 cm)
Blade length: 35.875" (91 cm)
Blade width: 2.125" (5.4 cm)
CoG: 4.75" (12 cm)
CoP: 21" (53 cm)
Weight: 3 lbs 9.4 oz (1.63 kilos)

I realize these are different types, but if you just looked at stats you might think they were pretty close character wise.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
It is interesting that the Brescia is thought of here as a "civilian" sword, when "stat wise" it seems quite close to the Viceroy, a sword I think of as very "battlefield" oriented. Just goes to show how difficult it is to judge based on stats alone.

I've cut with both swords, and there are few similarities in handling. The biggest difference in the stats is in the POB; 1 1/4 inches not a small difference. The stats don't show how the weight is distributed for each sword either, or how the cross-section plays into things. The Brescia's POB (and other factors) make it feel very fast and slightly lacking in the authority in the cut that I like to see in a warsword.

The Viceroy has a much brawnier feel than the Brescia by far for me. The Viceroy blade feels beefier and is stiffer, I believe. That makes it feel much more like a warsword than a civilian sword. The Regent is different still, just as it should be. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Kite wrote:
I had the pleasure of handling one of these swords at one of the Round Tables. Aesthetically, perhaps because of the sharp taper, it looks kind of puny to me, and I really wasn't all that turned on by it.

Then I got to go outside and play.

I love the Brescia Spadone. With the exception of maybe the Regent, this sword is by far my favorite Albion longsword. It's probably my favorite longsword of all that I've handled from any maker (except maybe the Regent). If I had $1500 US to spare on a sword, I would by this sword (though maybe the Regent would win out Wink ).

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN

We'll have to see what happens when I get me Earl!! Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I haven't had as much alone time with the Brecia as some of you apparently, but I did get to play with it a bit at the blade show as well... and put the money down to be getting one in a few months. Is it weird to have a secondary collecting goal to have all of Albion's Museum line? Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Is it weird to have a secondary collecting goal to have all of Albion's Museum line? Happy

If it is, we both are. Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Is it weird to have a secondary collecting goal to have all of Albion's Museum line?

MAKE THAT THREE OF US Laughing Out Loud
David Kite

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

We'll have to see what happens when I get me Earl!! Cool

That's what you need. One more toy you'll be lucky to take back home with you. Razz

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Is it weird to have a secondary collecting goal to have all of Albion's Museum line? Happy

Wish I could join you fellas in that quest. But, I would like to be able to retire some day.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Wish I could join you fellas in that quest. But, I would like to be able to retire some day.

Feel free to stop by and play, Steve!

Funny, I was thinking about the collection and my goals earlier this afternoon. The Muesum Line was kindof a secondary goal for a while, but I think I've rethought it somewhat. I want to have a collection representative of the Oakeshott Typology. I really had not considered using any of the Museum Line pieces to fill those slots. Having played hard with the Brescia, though, I'm rethinking that. I may duplicate some types, but I wouldn't say this is a secondary issue for me anymore. They're integral to my hands-on collection. All of them are excellent pieces, and it would be a shame to have them sitting on a shelf misunderstood or underappreciated.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Lol, yes I think you are right. I really enjoyed meeting you at the Bladeshow Aaron. I'm sorry I didn't manage to run into you the second day so we could talk shop some more.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
Is it weird to have a secondary collecting goal to have all of Albion's Museum line?

MAKE THAT THREE OF US Laughing Out Loud

Happy Which ones do you have so far Mike? Sorry you may have said before but I don't recall...

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

Feel free to stop by and play, Steve!

Funny, I was thinking about the collection and my goals earlier this afternoon. The Muesum Line was kindof a secondary goal for a while, but I think I've rethought it somewhat. I want to have a collection representative of the Oakeshott Typology. I really had not considered using any of the Museum Line pieces to fill those slots. Having played hard with the Brescia, though, I'm rethinking that. I may duplicate some types, but I wouldn't say this is a secondary issue for me anymore. They're integral to my hands-on collection. All of them are excellent pieces, and it would be a shame to have them sitting on a shelf misunderstood or underappreciated.

Cool! Same primary goal just different approaches. I want to do the same thing with the Oakeshott typology although I had primarily been doing that through purchasing Arms and Armor pieces. Then I decided I needed to get the entire Arms and Armor catalogue... then I decided that it really wouldn't hurt anything to have Albion fill in the gaps that Arms and Armor doesn't cover would it?? Then...

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
I really enjoyed meeting you at the Bladeshow Aaron. I'm sorry I didn't manage to run into you the second day so we could talk shop some more.

Feeling's mutual, Russ! It would've been great to chat some more - shop or otherwise.

You know where to find me...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another review of the Brescia SpadonaProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: