GDFB Phrygian nasal helm
[ Linked Image ]

I noticed this new one on Get Dressed For Battle's website. Interesting take on this particular style of helm.
Looks like a bit of a tamer approach to the "peak forward" helms. Not a bad looking piece.

I'm increasingly impressed by a good bit of what these folks are kicking out. I don't personally like all of it, but what I do like, I really do like. Keep this up, Patrick, and they'll have to kick in a commission to you!
Saw it too, a couple of days ago. I like it myself, but I was not sure it was acurate, but I'll confess, I really need to learn a LOT more about armor.

BTW, Patrick, you have a spangenhelm by GDFB, right? Did it come with a liner like this?
I'm digging the curves... nice liner too. I have always been keen on "best armor" from chec. but this is looking good!
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
Saw it too, a couple of days ago. I like it myself, but I was not sure it was acurate, but I'll confess, I really need to learn a LOT more about armor.

BTW, Patrick, you have a spangenhelm by GDFB, right? Did it come with a liner like this?

Since it isn't of segmented construction it can't be termed a spangenhelm, but here's the liner.
[ Linked Image ]
Just a little historical background on why this has the particular, peculiar shape it does.

It is fairly common for armour to follow the fashion of the time throughout history. The phrygian helm gets it's name after a phrygian cap of similar shape, but out of wool or linen. Here are two pictures of phyrgian caps:

[ Linked Image ]
A Phrygian cap on the tomb of Geoffrey Platagenet in Le Mans Cathedral, 12th Century

[ Linked Image ]
A recreation of a Phrygian Cap made from wool.

When worn, the point or peak on top sloped forward or flopped over on the top of the head.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:

Since it isn't of segmented construction it can't be termed a spangenhelm, but here's the liner.
[ Linked Image ]

Oops, sorry. I thought you had a spangenhelm. Guess my memory isn't that good on sundays. ;)
Thomas wrote:
Oops, sorry. I thought you had a spangenhelm. Guess my memory isn't that good on sundays.

I have the Olmutz helm.

In stock form...............
[ Linked Image ]

After painting....................
[ Linked Image ]
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Oops, sorry. I thought you had a spangenhelm. Guess my memory isn't that good on sundays.

I have the Olmutz helm.

Ah yes. I can see the difference. Thank you for pointing it out. :)

Nice paintjob too. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: