Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th century armour (irish Knight) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marc Setzer

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: 15th century armour (irish Knight)         Reply with quote

Our joust troupe has decided to go with a 15th century time frame. I ,being the difficult one, have decided to go Irish. I'm thinking chainmaile, coat of plates, gambeson and a great helm. Sound about right? Any help and or research material would be helpful.
It is a shameful thing to be weary of inquiry when what we search for is excellent.
--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 15th century armour (irish Knight)         Reply with quote

Marc Setzer wrote:
Our joust troupe has decided to go with a 15th century time frame. I ,being the difficult one, have decided to go Irish. I'm thinking chainmaile, coat of plates, gambeson and a great helm. Sound about right? Any help and or research material would be helpful.

umm not in the 15thc your not. maybe in the 13thc. check out www.lordgreys.org where are you located? to get a starting idea of 15thc armour in the british iles check out osprey's english medieval knight 1400-1500

what part of teh 15th? early part say agincort or later part say war of the roses?
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where is the group portrayal located (I mean where are you "pretending" to be when you partcipate in an "event")? I would think that would affect your armor choices more than your personal background. Or are you portraying a tournament situation where people come from all over? What do you mean by "Irish Knight" - do you really mean a "peer of the realm" kind of thing, or do you mean a gentleman man at arms? Your social position and financial situation do much to determine what you have...

Gordon
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
What do you mean by "Irish Knight" - do you really mean a "peer of the realm" kind of thing, or do you mean a gentleman man at arms? Your social position and financial situation do much to determine what you have...

... as does your literal funding and available resources. When I started off, I had to play the part of the footsoldier - I literally couldn't afford to do more.

Gordon brings up a really good point here. There is great variation depending on background and station. Also, remember that trade was really quite prevalent. Just because you might "live" in one area doesn't mean all of your arms or armour would have been made right down the street.

I'd definitely be interested in knowing/seeing what you come up with! I'm sure others would as well.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't know much about 15th century Ireland, I do belive that it it was poorer than the rest of Europe and relatively isolated, so armour there might have been more old fashioned, but probably not 2 centuries out of date.

Edit: I've just found this on the myArmoury website, unfortunately it's about 100 years too late:
http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_armies_irish.html

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 15th century armour (irish Knight)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic