Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Items from Vladimir Cervenka Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: New Items from Vladimir Cervenka         Reply with quote

At Last years Blade show, in 2004, I had the pleasure of having dinner with several forumites, including Ron luciano, stephen Han, Thomas Macdonald as well as Vince and Grace Evans........ After dinner i was speaking with Ron, and he showed us a antique shell guard cutlass. This sword really impressed me and stuck wtih me. i contacted Vladimir cervenka , who I had done business with before, about replicating this sword. After some design time, we decided to make it a set wtih a matching dagger. The Dagger as Vladimir points out was NOT used En suite with the sword but rather more of a backup peice for the right hand, hence the quillon setup.
I had him patina them to give the appearance of the antique i handled.
The peice Ron had, had a curved blade. After some research on Vladimirs part, he discovered many swords in museums he visitied with this hilt setup had straight blades so we decided to go that route.
the finished peices are quite impressive and true to Vladimirs style.

Attachment: 57.84 KB
finished3.JPG
Patina finish

Attachment: 27.12 KB
hilts.JPG
The hilts prior to being finished

Attachment: 70.84 KB
finished2.JPG
Hilt closeups

Attachment: 61.52 KB
finished.JPG
The Finished set
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like those quite a bit. That's a very nice aging job too, not over the top and artificial like some we see.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yep, it still allows the beauty of the sword to show thru some its not just "rusted up"
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
yep, it still allows the beauty of the sword to show thru some its not just "rusted up"

Yes, it simulates an old sword that's been maintained instead of neglected, that's what I like about it.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

does Ron Luciano still post around here? I wish he could throw up a pic of this cutlass that inspired me.
they are really totally difference.... his had a half shell on the "palm" side with a thumb ring........ this was not my favorite feature, hence the ommision
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
does Ron Luciano still post around here? I wish he could throw up a pic of this cutlass that inspired me.
they are really totally difference.... his had a half shell on the "palm" side with a thumb ring........ this was not my favorite feature, hence the ommision

Here is a photo of me holding the antique cutlass:

Click photo for larger version

Lovely reproductions, David. Personally, I'd want the rear guard and thumb-ring, but it's still nice without the full hilt. I'd really like to get these in-hand. If you should ever want to part with them, please consider me interested!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David,

Those look really great.

Good choice on design, and good chioce on smith to execute the vision.

It seems like his work is continually improving.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
David Stokes wrote:

Lovely reproductions, David. Personally, I'd want the rear guard and thumb-ring, but it's still nice without the full hilt. I'd really like to get these in-hand. If you should ever want to part with them, please consider me interested!

Ill keep ya in mind! Though, truth be known, I have only actually sold ONE sword ever,,,, and it was actually a trade, so my output ratio is pretty low! :-)

The half shell and thrumb ring was something that was discussed alot. Ron and I pretty much aggreed the thumb ring wasnt our favorite thing, its a really unique feature, but oh well........
The whole design of the sword was really left up to Vladimir and is research. I do like the straight blade, I thought i was going to be opposed to it, but it works alot better with the dagger to make it a set.

Joe, Your absolutly right!
The Anduril sword (shown below) he made for me a few years back was very nice, and true to my desigh, but it was a pure fantasy design. you really get to see a swordmakers true work in peices like this cutlass

Attachment: 91.39 KB
anduril.jpg
Anduril; By Vladimir Cervenka

Attachment: 51.46 KB
The Man himself [ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Items from Vladimir Cervenka
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic