Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Yet another Claymore question... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Yet another Claymore question...         Reply with quote

Recently, I asked members of myArmoury for their take on Chen/Hanwei claymores. I appreciate the responses. Now, I ask: What about Windlass/MRL claymores? They now claim that all their swords are full tang and 'as good or better' than the originals. I've been impressed by their products in the past, but not overwhelmed. In the catalog, they offer two versions...a wooden spiral hilt, and a leather wrapped version. Does anyone out there own one? How's the tang? Any photos of one dismantled? I appreciate the responses greatly. mcm.
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I REALLY got close to buying one. But did not. Reasons? A few big ones. 1) The fittings did not look tight. There were far too many gaps and spaces combined with things being a little off center. Granted this may just be because of this particular sword and all arent like that, but its a risk when you buy cheaper. 2) Weight. The overall weight isnt all that bad (a touch on the heavy side but not totally out of character), but the weight distribution wasn't kosher. Far more blade heavy. 3) Whippy/weaker blade. It's been fairly well established that MRL's longer swords just arent as good as some of their shorter ones. For instance, I have the discontinued Scottish Backsword and it remains as one of my favorites all around. Great sword. But for some reason their longer blades seem to consistently be weaker and more whippy. I saw a video a few days ago of someone snapping a Townton blade on a pretty weak cut. The claymore blades are much longer than that one. With a sword of that size I would much rather save a few more coins and get one much better. I've been considering Del Tin and Lutel as possibilities for a blunt scottish two hander. Albions Chieftain looks stunning in concept but $1,000 is a little more than I can do at the moment. Hope this helped.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen Johnson wrote:
Albions Chieftain looks stunning in concept but $1,000 is a little more than I can do at the moment. Hope this helped.

Check out Arms & Armor's Claymore. It's less expensive, and I've never met an owner who didn't love it!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Yet another Claymore question...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic