Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Curious about distal tapers. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Simon E.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Curious about distal tapers.         Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum (and forums in general), but I've been trying to read as much as I could here on this website. I was curious if ya'll could point me to any sources of information where I might learn about the different distal tapers of the Oakeshott types. I know that the profile tapers are pretty easily distinguished in the typology, but haven't really found anything on distal tapers. Maybe I'm just missing it. Also: how does the distal taper affect the handling of a sword?

I'm not sure if what I've written is clear at at all, but I'd appreciate any reply.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Curious about distal tapers.         Reply with quote

Simon E. wrote:
I'm new to this forum (and forums in general), but I've been trying to read as much as I could here on this website. I was curious if ya'll could point me to any sources of information where I might learn about the different distal tapers of the Oakeshott types. I know that the profile tapers are pretty easily distinguished in the typology, but haven't really found anything on distal tapers. Maybe I'm just missing it. Also: how does the distal taper affect the handling of a sword?

I'm not sure if what I've written is clear at at all, but I'd appreciate any reply.

Hi Simon, and welcome to this forum.
There is no published information on distal tapers corresponding to the various Oakeshott types. Actually there is no published iformation on the workings n distal tapers in swords whatsoever. Details like that has not been in the focus of those writing the history of the sword.

You need to go and study origials to get a reliable knowledge about how this was done on historical swords. There are trends and tendencies and also some variation within the parameters of the surviving weapons. Distal taper actually also correlates to overall mass and weight of the weapon, not just functional type and profile. Larger, heavier weapons usually have more variation in the distal taper along their length and usually also a more dramatic distal taper. Shorter lighter weapons tend to have less distal taper (this is another trend you will find some variation to). Blades with little change in width in their profile tend to have more activity in the distal taper, while blades with severe profile taper tend to have less distal taper. The emphasis in cutting/thrusting function can also have an inpact on distal taper. You usually need more thickness in the point in a thrusting sword that yu want in a cutting blade. This is nothing that stands alone, but will always depend on the profile shape and overall mass and length of the sword.
Even a thing like shape of cross section will have some inpact on how the distal taper is solved. As distal taper is a way to handle the distribution of mass along the blade, the shape of the cross section can have as big influence as overall profile in how the distal taper is shaped.

The handling of the sword is greatly affected by the distal taper. it is as important as the profile taper, if not even more so.
By decreasing the mass of the blade towards the point you increase the agility of the sword. You also help distribute bending and impact stresses along the whole blade so it becomes more recilient.
The character of the distal taper: how it varies alog the blade (some ties the base is more severe, the middle alost paralell and the point section again more sever, for example) also affects both handling and performance.
The correlation between blade profile, blade type and distal taper is quite varied and complex. When I have documented originals IŽve seen quite a bit of variation. Saying that I do not imply you can have it just any way: there is a logic to it.

It is impossible to understand the feel and handling of a sword only based on a photo or drawing and data on weight and point of balance. These facts alone will not tell you much about how the sword feels and performs. Distal taper and distribution of mass (these two aspects are naturally related to some degree) are actually more important. A "heavy" broad bladed sword can be made feel light and agile with the proper distribution of mass. A narrow slim blade could be very point heavy and slow in the turns.
This has to do with how much mass there is at the ends of the sword. Concentrate the mass towards the point of balance of the sword and youŽll get a very quick weapon, but if this is overdone, it will lack power in the cut. It is a balancing act.

This was a very short post on the topic. I hiope it helped answer some part of your question.

Best
Peter
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for this explanation, Peter. If you ever decide to write a book about sword manufacture and properties influencing the effectiveness of a sword (handling & cutting ability), I'll be first in line for a copy.
Simon E.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, thank you, Peter. It's a lot to think about, to be sure. I've been trying to visualize what the cross-sections of what different swords might be like along the blade. Guess it's a bit more complex than it might first appear!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Curious about distal tapers.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic