Beautifull new viking-sword over at Patrick Bartha's site.
http://www.templ.net/weapons/antiquity_and_ea...ge.php#A18

Follow the link. Very stunning hilt, simply beautifull. Something inside me keeps bugging me to get on his waiting list. :D
That's a very nice anglo-saxon design. Another nice one from Patrick.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
That's a very nice anglo-saxon design. Another nice one from Patrick.

It's anglo-saxon?? Oh boy.... I feel kinda stupid now.
You know I never could really appreciate the beauty of viking swords until I saw Patrick's recreations. Another truely outstanding replica.
Re: Beautifull new viking-sword over at Patrick Bartha's sit
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
http://www.templ.net/weapons/antiquity_and_early_middleage.php#A18

Follow the link. Very stunning hilt, simply beautifull. Something inside me keeps bugging me to get on his waiting list. :D

Hi Thomas...

Thanks for pointing this beauty out...

Looks like Patrick took his inspiration from the remains of the Abingdon Hilt.

Here are some pics from "Catalogue of the Anglo-Saxon Ornamental Metalwork 700-1100" by David Hinton

(I think that the hilt in the pictures is built up from wax... only the engraved panels are original.)

ks

Attachment: 74.9 KB
AbingdonPommelOblASM.jpg

Attachment: 98.27 KB
AbingdonPommel1ASM.jpg

Attachment: 98 KB
AbingdonLowerGuardASM.jpg

Wow I never would have imagined there were such talented smiths in this day and age. I was completety blown away when I found Albions web site and I have since been equally bown away with each of these custom smiths I have now seen.

It would be so awesome and amazing to own a piece of art like that. The skill, talent, and technique required to create somthing like that just boggles my mind to no end. Even if I could afford something like that it would be hard to bring my self spend that kind of money, though I probably would not regret it. But if I were rich, oh boy I'd be on every list I could find! :D
I agree with Lance. If I were rich I'd have a room in my castle devoted to these works of art. Hey you could have your own mini-museum! :)

Bryson
I've never cared for these Anglo-Saxon styles. I've always much prefered the nordic styles of the same period. However, recently I've seen two swords that have made me rethink this.

The Best Sword of the 2005 Atlanta Blade Show, by Vince Evans, is the first................
[ Linked Image ]

Mr. Barta's sword is the second. Neat stuff.
That's just a gorgeous sword.
Re: Beautifull new viking-sword over at Patrick Bartha's sit
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
http://www.templ.net/weapons/antiquity_and_early_middleage.php#A18

Even though I'm not much into Anglo-Saxon/Viking stuff, my jaw still dropped especially for that #A18. :!: I am, however, a fanatic of anything Celtic. -Ted
I'd thought about seeing if Patrick Bárta would make me a replica of the Abingdon sword--once I had saved up enough money. In some ways, I'm glad someone beat me to it; now I get to see what it would have looked like. :) Very, very nice. I love Anglo-Saxon weapons.
Droooool!
If I ever order a full-custom sword, it's going to be a pattern-welded Viking or Anglo-Saxon. Those things are works of art!

Brian M

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: