Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Coat of plates: plate finishes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Cole Sibley

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Coat of plates: plate finishes         Reply with quote

From what I've read, it appears that CoP/brigandines commonly had 'tinned' plates. This doesn't look to be an option for me, so I'm looking for some sort of alternative, historical if possible. Would simple painting of the plates be terribly incorrect?

The shell is progressing nicely, thanks to my dear mother (who is a fine seamstress, and has kept this project alive), and is nearly ready for dying. My slim research has determined that 14th century dyes were not of terrific quality or variety (more opinions welcome, please) and 'earth tones' were most common historically. I'm leaning towards a brown, but the quality of the shell has me thinking I should consider a more 'noble' color, perhaps a blue? Are there any surviving examples of colored linen from the era?
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cole,

try the Firestryker forum and use the search engine to look for brigandine. Also try this site.

http://www.eskimo.com/~cwn/

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Coat of plates: plate finishes         Reply with quote

Cole Sibley wrote:
My slim research has determined that 14th century dyes were not of terrific quality or variety (more opinions welcome, please) and 'earth tones' were most common historically. I'm leaning towards a brown, but the quality of the shell has me thinking I should consider a more 'noble' color, perhaps a blue? Are there any surviving examples of colored linen from the era?

Actually, the Dyes COULD be good, but that was for more expensive garments.

If you want to go with a blue, woad was the common blue dye and produces a blue color like a medium denim .
Andrew Kephart

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as tinning the plates, I think that was mainly used for brigandine plates. Historically, a lot of armor was blued, blackened or painted, the alternative being to clean and oil it everyday. I think painting the plates would be fine. My two pence.

Andrew

Dulce Bellum Inexperti
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: finishes         Reply with quote

Options for finishes

If you used vegtable tanned leather and are going to wear it in rain, you may want to consider a natural oil wax finish. It will darken to a medium boot brown color if you brush melted 50%/ 50% parafin wax/Neats Foot oil onto it, and be reasonably water resistant. You can buy the wax at grocery stores or Wal Mart, the oil at a Tractor Supply type store. This will cause it to shrink slightly, and stiffen it some. You might want to put it on for a couple of hours after coating. Ideally you would dip it (before sewing straps on) into a warm (150 degrees F) vat of the stuff, but I suspect you will not want to pay for that kind of quantity and go through that much trouble. These oils are flammable, and should be melted using a pot inside another pot of hot water if you try this on a kitchen burner. This will not corrode the plates, and will leave it feeling a little oily after it dries for a couple of days. You can buff excess wax coating off with a rag.

Several leather suppliers offer brush on dyes that are either acrylic (water based) or oil/aniline based that simulate an antique looking brown. You should be able to mail order an adequate amount for less than $20.

Hope these are useful ideas to someone.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Cole Sibley

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the help gentlemen, it is much appreciated. I had not seen the tinning tutorial before, very interesting (though still out of my reach at this point, I suspect). The Firestryker boards are very informative and deep, I believe that is where I read about dyes commonly being 'earth tones'.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Coat of plates: plate finishes
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic