Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > By-The-Sword A&A Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: By-The-Sword A&A         Reply with quote

I have admired the weapons and armor in the "Arms and Armour" section over at By The Sword (www.by-the-sword.com) and have been considering making a purchase for some time now. I was wondering if anyone has experience or first-hand knowledge of these items or their manufacture. The site describes the maker as European but nothing else. I contacted By The Sword directly and they told me that they were contractually forbidden from revealing the source. The items appear to be of high quality and they do carry a premium price point.

So has anyone ever handled this stuff or know who is making it? I am really interested in several pieces but want to get some opinions before I buy. Thanks in advance.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've looked as well. It's a personal matter, of course, dependant upon a ton of factors. Some of the pieces look decent, but for me, I definitely won't - and here are my reasons.

1) I don't know the source. Yeah, you pointed this out, and are inquiring yourself, so you have the same uneasy feeling, too.

2) I don't want a piece in my personal collection that couldn't be used. These may be perfectly suitable, but I don't know, and I don't have a source (therefore a reputation) to go by.

3) I don't want a piece in my personal collection that I couldn't actually use - similar to #2, but I like custom work to fit me, not the average person. That's not to say that munitions armour isn't good, but it never seemed to fit me just right. To ensure this, I like to be able to discuss details with whomever is making the piece - better yet, get them to measure me.

4) There are armourers that are producing quality pieces for near that price. I'll go with someone I know and trust, or have heard good things about from people I trust, or someone I have personally seen pieces by.

5) Guarantee, or issues of repair, refurbishment, etc.

If I were looking for something to put on a stand in the corner of my office and dust once in a while, there are lots of options out there. I've got a lot more interest in actual use and functionality. My dollar (more like $5000, give or take for a harness) will go to a name and face, a hand I can shake.

This is my personal opinion based upon my needs and my preferences.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If a distributor refuses to disclose a manufacturer, that would be an instant turn-off to me. Aaron's right: If you wanted to do some research to find out if a maker's products are good or not, where would you start? That would also make me question the relations between the maker and the distributor. If the items "carry a premium price point," all the more reason I'd want to know more. In other words, if I'm going to give a company a large sum of money for a product, then I'd want them to be able to give me the answers that I'd need.

Just my .02 worth.
Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Businesses make private label agreements and negotiate terms of nondisclosure with manufacturers all the time. Its actually pretty common at retail. However, most of the time the consumer is given a measure of assurance that they are buying quality based on the goodwill and brand power of the retailer. Its why we see WalMart, Kroger, and other house brands next to everything from P&G, Clorox, and Colgate Palmolive.

Question is do you trust the "By-the-Sword" brand enough to buy something you might not buy direct from the manufacturer?

I'm going with Aaron and Ed on this one.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good response, Joe. I'll just add that I'm guessing that By-the-Sword is hoping to build the product's reputation themselves, so that their own sales will create a user-base of opinions. This is a slow route to go, of course.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Andrew Kephart

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, new member, the stuff at by the sword looks like it comes from maybe a couple of different Czech armourers, my guess is Arms and Armour Manufacture, I used to have their website but lost it. Hope this helps, that is strange that they can't give you any clue who made. By the by, I'm in the process of having a black and white harness made by Jiri Klepac, a Czech armourer who does restoration work at local museums, here's a link to his site: www.armour.cz

Andrew

Dulce Bellum Inexperti
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Businesses make private label agreements and negotiate terms of nondisclosure with manufacturers all the time. Its actually pretty common at retail. However, most of the time the consumer can is given a measure of assurance that they are bying quality based on the goodwill and brand power of the retailer. Its why we see WalMart, Kroger, and other house brands next to everything from P&G, Clorox, and Colgate Palmolive.

Question is do you trust the "By-the-Sword" brand enough to buy something you might not buy direct from the manufacturer?

As Nathan said, this is a great and very valid point. A lot of these products are at least "good enough" if not equal (or sometimes even better than) the namebrand stuff. A lot of these things, "good enough" is exactly that - good enough to get by. A lot of these things are also regulated - take generic drugs, for example. Binders may be different, but available active ingredients still need to be there in the same quantity, at the same rate, etc. I tend to use these products because I need some form or other of that product. There's actually some level of a guarantee there.

I don't have to have a piece of armour.

Don't take this as being a defensive response, and I didn't take any of this as attacking me. I'm also not knocking By-The-Sword for their approach, or the arrangement they have made. I have personal requirements, and I don't feel confident that this approach would foot the bill. It may very well be an outstanding avenue for others.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Don't take this as being a defensive response, and I didn't take any of this as attacking me.

I was agreeing with you. Laughing Out Loud

No defensiveness in the response taken. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I was agreeing with you. Laughing Out Loud

No defensiveness in the response taken. Cool

I know, Joe... that last response of mine was a little wierd, having been up almost 40 straight hours. The point I was actually struggling to make is that my initial adamant post about not going this route was not a shot at B-T-S - that I wasn't condemning them or their product, simply that it wouldn't be a comfortable vehicle for me to obtain personal armour I felt would meet my rather picky needs.

Now that I've had a full 7 hours of sleep in 3 days, I'm thinking much clearer now... Worried

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Businesses make private label agreements and negotiate terms of nondisclosure with manufacturers all the time. Its actually pretty common at retail. However, most of the time the consumer can is given a measure of assurance that they are bying quality based on the goodwill and brand power of the retailer. Its why we see WalMart, Kroger, and other house brands next to everything from P&G, Clorox, and Colgate Palmolive.

As Nathan said, this is a great and very valid point. A lot of these products are at least "good enough" if not equal (or sometimes even better than) the namebrand stuff. A lot of these things, "good enough" is exactly that - good enough to get by. A lot of these things are also regulated - take generic drugs, for example. Binders may be different, but available active ingredients still need to be there in the same quantity, at the same rate, etc. I tend to use these products because I need some form or other of that product. There's actually some level of a guarantee there....

Sorry folks, but I just don't see the comparison. We are talking By-the-Sword, not WalMart, the largest retailer on Earth. We are also talking primo dollars for a product that we shouldn't be comparing to generic toothpaste. Maybe the concept will work for By-the-Sword with others in this marketplace, but not with me.
Mark Mattimore

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My thanks to everyone for their opinions. I agree that any purchase of this stuff is a big risk. Even though I’m not looking for fully customized armor, I don’t want something that is one-size-fits-all generic either. This stuff seems to be nicely made but the lack of information still makes me very wary.

As for the issue of BTS’s reputation being a factor, I have purchased from them before and have always been very pleased. But that is more of a service issue and not one of product quality. BTS sells a lot of good quality items from Windlass, Lutel and others but also deals in what I would consider lesser-quality stuff. So it could go either way.

Andrew, I think you may be right that the maker is Arms and Armor Manufacture. I found there website here http://www.arms-armor.cz. Much of the stuff looks the same although I think the pictures on BTS are actually better.

So I still don’t know. I’ll probably keep my money and buy from an armourer with more of a reputation. But who knows. Thanks for the feedback.

Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really have no clue, but one possible reason for not disclosing a manufacture name is because it might not be made all in one shop. I seem to recall one place that I think was in the Czech republic that would sell arms and armor made by various craftsmen around the area, there wasn't any factory or anything where they all worked. They might also be buying wares from various small set-ups all over europe. Or they may simply just not want other companies to be able to use the same manufacturer, then undersell them. If a company invest money into having a manufacturer develope products, it can be easy sometimes for other companys to come in and take advantage of the work and investment of the other company. Infinite possibilities though...

Shane
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

As Nathan said, this is a great and very valid point. A lot of these products are at least "good enough" if not equal (or sometimes even better than) the namebrand stuff. A lot of these things, "good enough" is exactly that - good enough to get by. A lot of these things are also regulated - take generic drugs, for example. Binders may be different, but available active ingredients still need to be there in the same quantity, at the same rate, etc. I tend to use these products because I need some form or other of that product. There's actually some level of a guarantee there....

Sorry folks, but I just don't see the comparison. We are talking By-the-Sword, not WalMart, the largest retailer on Earth. We are also talking primo dollars for a product that we shouldn't be comparing to generic toothpaste. Maybe the concept will work for By-the-Sword with others in this marketplace, but not with me.

Steve,

In my opinion this sword retailer is not a business that I feel has sufficient repution to stand on their brand. However, if other people do feel the By-The-Sword brand name is trustworthy, the arrangement is common for other products.

Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: By-The-Sword A&A         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:

So has anyone ever handled this stuff or know who is making it?

I think these particular pieces are the work of Helmut Vajc. By-the Sword is his American importer. His website is at http://www.traditionelle-events.de/

I have been tempted to order some of his stuff but have never gotten around to doing so.
Mark Mattimore

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: By-The-Sword A&A         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Mark Mattimore wrote:

So has anyone ever handled this stuff or know who is making it?

I think these particular pieces are the work of Helmut Vajc. By-the Sword is his American importer. His website is at http://www.traditionelle-events.de/

I have been tempted to order some of his stuff but have never gotten around to doing so.

Bingo! That's definitely it. The pictures and products are the same as BTS. Thanks Steve! Big Grin

So that's half the mystery. Now does anyone know anything about this Helmut Vajc?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > By-The-Sword A&A
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic