Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Albion! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William Hurst

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: My First Albion!         Reply with quote

Hello all. Just a short introduction for starters. My name is Will, I'm 19, I live in California, I love swords (obviously), and I love vikings. Anyways, I have been collecting swords for about 7 years and I have always wanted an Albion. So when my birthday came up in July I figured it would be a good enough time for me to get my favorite Albion sword: the Vinland. I ordered it in mid-May and I finally received it last Tuesday (July 12th), and have not taken my eyes off of it since. The Vinland is just an absolutely gorgeous blade. Even though the upper and lower guards aren't as nice as, say, the Huskarl or the Jarl, I love the knotwork designs. The Oxblood handle turned out really well (pretty similar to the Clontarf's in the review, but a little darker). But the blade, sweet lord! It has such authority to it. I love how it hardly tapers, giving the blade an awesome presence. The sword handles great as well. I could go on forever about this piece, but I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times. Mike and all the folks at Albion have made me the happiest viking in California (and there aren't many of us). Big Grin
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Will!

Congrats on a nice acquisition. That's a great b-day present!

The Vinland was the first Albion I acquired, too... nice piece. I recall the almost uncomfortably excited feeling I got when I took that box from the UPS guy. I carefully cut the tape, and slid open the lid. Out came a bundle of bubble wrap. Seemed light to me... I peeled the top away, revealing the hilt. The campaign-worn grip looking as though it had survived a while (though pristinely new, of course) - nice effect. The engravings on the hilt components were quite nice as well... and I knew I had made a good choice. Then I withdrew the blade from it's bubble-and-paper scabbard. What an awesome feeling that was... such a light, wicked, beautiful piece. I cleaned it up, and called Mike. About a hundred words a minute... "Mike, oh my God... This is awesome... Holy crap... Thank the guys for me... Freakin' beautiful, man... Never, in all the swords I've ever owned... Best I've ever seen... Oh my God..." After I finished freaking out on Mike (who took it all very well...), I took it outside for a little dry handling.

The next day, I went out and cut with it. 2-liter bottles filled with water. Most cuts were like a knife through butter. I found that after a while, I did tire, and quit before something wound up hurt - me, it, anything in the vicinity. If/when you do decide to cut with it, practice extreme caution and think and stretch beforehand.

Yeah, I like the Vinland. I'm glad you do as well.

By the way, it's fun to "hear" the excitement from everyone when they get a new piece, so feel free to express yourself... No, this isn't the first time we've heard about the Vinland, but it's great to get more and more impressions! Welcome to myArmoury, Will!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Will. Welcome!! I have a few Albions myself, but no NextGenations yet. I ordered a Fiore a little while ago. I'm glad you're happy with your new Vinland; that one is my favorite of their Viking swords. This is a wonderful site with some wonderful people. You've definitely come to the right place. Happy -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new sword William, it's a good one.

Welcome to myArmoury!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome,welcome and a big congrats on the Albion piece as well!

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome and congratulations on your new Vinland, Will. I have yet to acquire an Albion Next Gen, myself, and look forward to the day.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My First Albion!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic