Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review Requested Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Review Requested         Reply with quote

I would like to request a review of Albion's Late 15th Century Bastard Sword from their Squire Line. I've just ordered it, and I'd like to get an idea for how it looks and handles.

Thanks,

Craig
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Review Requested         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I would like to request a review of Albion's Late 15th Century Bastard Sword from their Squire Line. I've just ordered it, and I'd like to get an idea for how it looks and handles.

Are you looking for a formal published review or for user opinions?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig-

I know it isn't a review of the specific piece, but Chad did a good review of the 13th C Great Sword:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_13th.html

At least it would give you an idea of the fit and finish of the Squire Line pieces.

There have been a few discussions about the Bastard Sword around on here... not a formal review, but from WMA practitioners. From what I recall, the overall impression has been quite good. I'll try to find a couple of threads here in a little while, but if you do a search for it, you will probably turn up some of what you are looking for.

I haven't seen the Bastard, but I have seen the Great. It's really a nice piece - when it was in a rack with a bunch of Next Gen pieces, I had to look hard to tell the difference. I have no real concern that the Bastard wouldn't be a nice piece, similar to the Merc, Castellan, or Constable. I have the Constable here right now, and it's quite lively. It would work great for either armoured or unarmoured combat...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Review Requested         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

Are you looking for a formal published review or for user opinions?

I was hoping for a formal, published review in the myArmoury webpage.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the NG sharp of that sword, the Mercenary. It's a nice piece.

I've seen two of the other Squire Line swords, the Great Sword and the Viking. They tend to be really nice values for the money. Sharpened, they perform better than many of the other sharpened-after-the-fact swords on the market. Against light targets, there was a negligible difference in performance between the SL Great Sword and the Baron.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Review Requested         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I was hoping for a formal, published review in the myArmoury webpage.

You can count on one down the road, though you'll likely get yours before that comes out. Good content takes time to generate and we have many good articles and review in the works. Stay tuned. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Craig-

I know it isn't a review of the specific piece, but Chad did a good review of the 13th C Great Sword:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_13th.html

At least it would give you an idea of the fit and finish of the Squire Line pieces.

There have been a few discussions about the Bastard Sword around on here... not a formal review, but from WMA practitioners. From what I recall, the overall impression has been quite good. I'll try to find a couple of threads here in a little while, but if you do a search for it, you will probably turn up some of what you are looking for.

I haven't seen the Bastard, but I have seen the Great. It's really a nice piece - when it was in a rack with a bunch of Next Gen pieces, I had to look hard to tell the difference. I have no real concern that the Bastard wouldn't be a nice piece, similar to the Merc, Castellan, or Constable. I have the Constable here right now, and it's quite lively. It would work great for either armoured or unarmoured combat...

I have no doubt that the Squire Line Bastard will perform well, for the simple reason that all of Albion's newer swords have excellent handling characteristics. I just wanted to know a bit more about how that particular sword handled and cut, and ideally, it would be nice to see what differences, if any, are apparent between it and say the Constable or the Mercenary.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton owns both the SL Bastard and the NG Mercenary. That's as direct a comparison as you can get... and he knows his stuff.

Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=twins

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a thread about the Bastard/Mercenary at http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0 (with pics). I also made a tiny update, as there was a slight problem with the Bastard.
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Anton owns both the SL Bastard and the NG Mercenary.

Hmm our replies crossed... Cool
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Anton owns both the SL Bastard and the NG Mercenary.

Hmm our replies crossed... Cool

Not the first time, probably not the last. We usually seem to be on the same page, you and I... Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review Requested
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic