Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My Albion Vinland Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William Hurst

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: My Albion Vinland         Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my Albion Vinland with an Oxblood grip. I thought it turned out very nice.

Attachment: 50.98 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 63.66 KB
My Viking shield by Mercenary's Tailor, a blowing horn by jelldragon.com, and a CAS Iberia short bearded axe. [ Download ]
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the ox blood look.

That is one sweet sword!

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
William Hurst

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, it was definately worth the wait; and boy did that wait feel like forever. One of Albion's fullering tools broke, so it ended up taking about a month-and-a-half to finish. However, stuff like that happens all the time in any business, so I wasn't upset with them at all (and who could be since they have such great customer service). The sword turned out a thousands times better than I could have ever imagined and I think my girlfriend is getting jealous of it. Laughing Out Loud

But the real bummer is that a week before it came I broke my foot. How convenient is that?! I'm waiting for my first Albion; I couldn't be any more excited about finally getting a great Viking sword (my favorite); and then I break my foot. Let me just say that practicing sword and shield techniques, when you can't move your left foot or bend your knee, is the ultimate form of torture to a sword enthusiast. Argh....
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Hurst wrote:

But the real bummer is that a week before it came I broke my foot. How convenient is that?! I'm waiting for my first Albion; I couldn't be any more excited about finally getting a great Viking sword (my favorite); and then I break my foot. Let me just say that practicing sword and shield techniques, when you can't move your left foot or bend your knee, is the ultimate form of torture to a sword enthusiast. Argh....

Why not spend the recovery time giving that shield a paint job that will wow us all? Be a fun use of the time, and you'll look great with them both once you recover. If you have the skill, you could use the engraving on the sword and copy it onto the sheild.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, William! Yeah, I think I'm going to need an oxblood grip on an upcoming piece. I really like the way they've been turning out.

Really sucks about your foot, though.... I know what it's like to be laid up with an injury. Wish you a speedy recovery, and safe, healthy, productive training!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
William Hurst

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, foot breaks (and any breaks) are no fun. When I was in the ER, I kept hoping that maybe I had broken something in my left arm, instead of my left foot. At least then I could have used the Vinland outside. But thank you for the kind words, Alex and Aaron. Maybe I'll use my time to give the shield a new look, George! What kind of paint would one use for a shied?
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Hurst wrote:
What kind of paint would one use for a shied?

Acrylics are inexpensive, easy to deal with, are readily available, and work well on leather, but aren't exactly period-appropriate if that's a big issue for you. If so, pigment paints like milk paints would be a better option, but don't know how expensive or available they are. You can "Ask Jeeves" about milk paint and "he" will give you a lot of info.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jeremy G

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jul, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice..I really like the oxblood grips (both my Albions have them). I hear ya about the injury...I had an accident at work back in April with a winch that tore off about 1/3 of my finger Eek! ...Just as the weather was starting to get nice! Aprils usually a cool and wet month in these parts, and I hadn't taken my new Regent outside at all. Well, just as the end of April and May rolled around, my right hand (I'm right handed) was all bandaged up. I couldn't practice anything... very frustrating. I've finally gone back to regular duty at work about 2 weeks ago, and I'm re-learning how to use my hand. I've only just restarted the longsword techniques, but I gotta take it slow. By the way, you shoulda seen the looks I got from doctors, nurses, and therapists the last couple months when they'd ask about my hobbies and I'd tell them about WMA and german longsword techniques. Laughing Out Loud Quite confused looks! Hang in there man, you'll soon be healed up and back to practicing.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow bronze fittings?
is this a standard option now?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
wow bronze fittings?

Are you seeing bronze fittings? It looks like steel to me. I know there have been a few bronze-hilted swords (besides mine) sold because of various "oops's" on the part of the foundry, but it is not a standard option and has never been.

I actually saw a bronze-hilted Vinland in Atlanta. It looked nice, but the heavier bronze fittings took a little of the blade presence away, making it less "Viking" than the steel version.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
William Hurst

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, no bronze fittings on the Vinland. Sorry, it could be the horrible lighting.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William;

Could be a white balance problem: At least with the television cameras I am / was familiar with you took a white balance reading on a white card, telling the camera " this is white " and this would make sure that your colours where balanced for the ambient light. I assume that digital cameras have to be calibrated this way also ?

In a way too bad as the "false colour " does looks good Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
David Stokes wrote:
wow bronze fittings?

Are you seeing bronze fittings? It looks like steel to me. I know there have been a few bronze-hilted swords (besides mine) sold because of various "oops's" on the part of the foundry, but it is not a standard option and has never been.

I actually saw a bronze-hilted Vinland in Atlanta. It looked nice, but the heavier bronze fittings took a little of the blade presence away, making it less "Viking" than the steel version.

Yup im defianntly seeing bronze, but then again the background has a tint to it as well.
the reason i ask is because i too saw the bronze hilted vinland at Blade show and rmember it had a redish grip so i fgured this was the owner...
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Stokes wrote:
Yup im defianntly seeing bronze, but then again the background has a tint to it as well.
the reason i ask is because i too saw the bronze hilted vinland at Blade show and rmember it had a redish grip so i fgured this was the owner...

Yeah, there's a lot of color casting to that pic that yellows it. The bronze Vinland was one of those leftover casting things, and was only being sold at the Atlanta show, just like the all-bronze Prince and Sovereign they had there.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the same photo William posted, color-corrected to remove the cast.

Attachment: 27.21 KB
vinland.jpg
Albion Vinland Viking Sword

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
William Hurst

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jul, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you very much, Nathan. Very nice of you to fix the pfoto for me. Happy
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Hurst wrote:
Yeah, foot breaks (and any breaks) are no fun. When I was in the ER, I kept hoping that maybe I had broken something in my left arm, instead of my left foot. At least then I could have used the Vinland outside. But thank you for the kind words, Alex and Aaron. Maybe I'll use my time to give the shield a new look, George! What kind of paint would one use for a shied?

I don't know what kind, but I'm sure those who do will want to know if your shield is leather covered... (IT looks sort of like it in the image, but I can't tell.)

You could start a thread on what they used back in the old days, and also do some digging to see what kind of patterns were period for that sort of shield. personally, I'd use the Albion blade's pattern as a base, so they match, but that's not enough for the whole shield, and might be difficult if your skill with the brush is.... about the same as mine. Wink So you could say, run around the center and the edge with the Albion pattern, say... turned into a stencil.

IF you don't mind being non-period, you could start with a nice covering of spray paint across the thing with your preferred color, then spray paint on the design stencil around the edge. You could even cut the stencil to match the curvature of the edge of the shield so as you work your way around you are always the same distance from the edge.

Oh, you can make a pattern by doing a rubbing of the knotwork on the hilt, then scan in your rubbing, and scale it up or down as you like. Don't use the photo, as that won't properly reflect the pattern due to the fact the peice has some curviture. By doing a rubbing, you'll get a perfect pattern, and after you scan it, you can scale it. After that is the hard part. The stencil will work with the knotwork, but will be difficult to make, and will require you to fill in lines. That said, you can also use tracing paper. This will allow you to trace the image on the paper, which will bleed through onto whatever background, (in this case the sheild.) Then you have a pattern to paint over with a brush.

As to what kind of paint to used, I don't know what will stick best, but I'm sure the material of the shield will make a difference.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My Albion Vinland
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic