Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How much for a custom? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:

This is great! We have a very productive and well thought out thread going here.

Speaking from a buyer's point of view, I personally want something that is unique. That might put me in a minority, as I have seen tendencies on the 'net by people who want something exactly like what they've seen made by a maker. As for me, if I am getting a custom piece, I want it to be different from anything else. To me, there's no point to getting a custom if it's going to be part of a "production line." Pretention, perhaps, but that's the way I like it. There's a recognition factor involved, too. You can look at at Vince Evans made Baskethilt and immediately be able to say, "hey, that's Thomas McDonald's baskethilt." You can look at a different Vince Evans made baskethilt and say, "hey, that's Thomas McDonald's baskethilt" And you can look at yet a nother Vince Evans made baskethilt and say, "hey, that's Thomas..." Laughing Out Loud

Jokes aside, I think the part of the beauty of a custom piece is that it's a collaborative effort, even when I do not have any real explicit input (which I am no longer allowed anyway, since my ideas have proven to be dumb). Vince Evans knows me enough that the length of the blade of the swords are perfect for ME. Besides, I always give specific instructions, "do what you think is best." Never failed me.

The other thing about asking for something unique and then giving the maker their head... typically you get FAR more then you paid for. I know that if someone lets me do what I want with a project they typically get a FAR better project. Not because I don't try to fulfill someone's expectations otherwise, but rather because if I'm micromanaged that same drive isn't there... if that makes any sense.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jul, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
For custom work I usually spend a lot of time researching and thinking what I want before I start the process with a maker.

I generally know at this point what the outline of blade, guard, pommel should look like when the project is a sword.

Where I would depend the most on the maker is suggesting improvements to the design that are very difficult to figure out on paper that affect handling and subtleties that can only be worked out actually making the piece such as distal taper, balance, and historic accuracy if it is not a pure fantasy piece.

There should be some give and take as far as design is concerned. ( And a learning curve for me. )

Before actual work on the project starts I may make minor changes or improvements to the design: Hopefully not driving the maker to distraction i.e. being a pest. Razz Laughing Out Loud ( See my Langue de Boeuf custom project topic for as an example of my modifying / refining the design graphics. )

Now my background is in graphic arts so I tend to want something close to my ideas in the finished product but I realize that the maker will not be happy unless he finds the project interesting to make: Likes my design, I hope!

This is my approach for something I have been making / designing in my head for quite some time before I contact the possible maker for a quote and to see if he is willing to make it.

THE OPPOSITE APPROACH:

But I can see where liking the style of work of a maker / artist I would only give minimal indication of what I want or like of his previous work and just give the go-ahead after getting a ballpark figure as to price and delivery time: In a case like this TOO much input would mean NOT being surprised by what he would make ! As you can't be surprised if you design it yourself and you would not get a product reflecting the unique creativity of the maker.

Well put...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
The other thing about asking for something unique and then giving the maker their head... typically you get FAR more then you paid for. I know that if someone lets me do what I want with a project they typically get a FAR better project. Not because I don't try to fulfill someone's expectations otherwise, but rather because if I'm micromanaged that same drive isn't there... if that makes any sense.

Exactly. There's something about allowing vs. stiffling the creative flow. I like to have some direction from the individual as to what is desired, but like to be able to bring it to life without that constant micromanagement. The more specific the requirements for the piece, the more caged I feel. That saps motivation, which drags out the piece, and lessens the final product to a degree. Animals live in the zoo, but it's not the same as a wide-open range.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

I understand how you feel about the " micromanagement thing " but I think that can vary from project to project:

Sometimes I know exactly what I want so I do get into very specific details that might not leave as much room for creativity than with other projects.

These kind of projects are mostly MY creativity at work and I then have to find someone to make what I imagined. ( Not every maker will want to work this way and that is fine as he can just pass on it. )

Now, being a "pest " i.e. Client from hell who keeps changing his mind at all the wrong times and continuously ! Oh, and is never satisfied with what you do Razz Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Hopefully I leave room for input by the maker and will be o.k. with changes based on good technical reasons. ( Or better ideas ! )

There should be lots of room for discussion before any actual work is done, after work is started the " micromanagement should completely STOP unless the maker is asking me to make a specific choice that wasn't anticipated.

As in my previous post, if I want a custom piece made because I like that makers' work, I'm specifically going for what he does best! I might just ask if he has anything available and just buy it: I guess technically this is the 100% opposite of micromanagement. Cool

I guess it ALL depends on good communication BOTH ways and compatible personalities: If you end up hating the job and wish you had never said yes to the commission or the client can't get any replies to his questions it can be a very negative experience. (BEST to say NO if you don't like the project or the attitude of the possible client. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess I'm the exact opposite of you, Jean.

At best, I'll approach a custom maker and tell him a few different antiques that interest me. More often, the maker already has a rough idea of the things that catch my eye and we get into a dialog about a type of item that I might like to have made. From there, the maker will generally get back to me with a few suggestions on things he wants to make. If one of these things grabs me, I'll give him the go-ahead, and then I'm done. Perhaps along the way, I'll be asked my preference for a feature or finish here or there, but frankly, I'd rather just leave it up to them to do their magic. I've found that this process yields the best product because the maker used his own passion in the making of the item and is more often than not fueled to put far more into the process than he normally would. Passion goes a long way.

I've gone the other route in the past, but have found on more than one occasion that the item was lacking in one way or another because the maker really wasn't jazzed about making it. It was just labor for money, and the end-product demonstrated that fact by being blatantly uninspired.

Mileage varies, of course. This was just an account of my experience.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

I agree that your approach has a lot of merit and is the best approach to getting the best from a top maker artist and being pleasantly surprised by his creativity: AS in " I would never have thought of that, and that is beautiful !

With swords I have only commissioned a couple of swords. ( Tom Maringer in the early 1980's ) I gave him a very detailed outline of blade and guard but he improved the whole thing considerably when it came to figuring out the 3D bevels etc...

What I didn't know about in those days were the subtleties of weight distribution and distal taper ( No or little distal taper. )
Now I think, Tom, later became aware of these things and admitted in a Knives " 96" edition Annual, DBI books that he fell into the trap of thinking that a sword was just a bigger knife and used very thick blade stock and little distal taper in his early work.

If I was to have the same design done today the blade and guard would be much lighter because the state of the art has improved. ( But I would leave figuring out those technical aspects completely up to the maker. )

Oh, with knives, I had a long standing relationship with a local maker, who made dozens of knives for me based on a drawings and one or two phone calls, I would also buy his own stuff from him when he went to our local craft shows.
With him, the amount of direction could vary from a lot to almost none.

With my current commission with A & A I do have something very specific in mind but will leave the details up to Craig.

I also have a matchlock in the process of being discussed where the maker is very good but very allergic to ANY micromanagement: I'm waiting for him getting back to me to make the project official. I sent him my ideas, he sent me back Picts of some of his work. After a lot of back and forth I changed my design a great deal and apart from a few things I would like to have I will just let him make what he wants. Now with this maker " pestering him " is not going to work. So at this point it's all up to him to confirm the acceptance of the project.

He does his work in batches and may not get back to me for months: Could seem a little strange but the person who referred me to him recommended not bugging him.

Hope this longwinded post is of some general use understanding that every commission can be very different.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, the concept graphic of the Archebuse I mentioned. ( Tried to edit it in the previous post but it wouldn't work ? going to resize and try again. ) ( Worked ! )

Attachment: 74.57 KB
Archebuse02.jpg

Ryan Brault

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jake powning has made some amazing pattern-welded blades in viking style, i sugest you talk to him,[url]http://www.powning.com/jake/home/j_homepg.shtml [/url]
"OH SWEET METAL CUTTING PARADISE, THY NAME BE BEVERLY"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How much for a custom?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: