Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Use of thumb ring on Daggers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon;

Go ahead highjack AWAY Sad Razz Cool

But it can be a good idea to start a new topic when the drift might be the start of an interesting NEW topic. Big Grin

After getting my Saxon Dagger and playing with it a bit the error of assuming the ring to be a thumb ring rather than what it really is a side ring becomes very obvious.

It may have looked like a thumb ring just looking at pictures but in hand it becomes obvious that used as a thumb ring it would make a great thumb breaker: Your OWN thumb that is. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Oh, it was sword sharp when I got it, now I can shave hair of my arm with it with very minimal honing with a ceramic abrasive rod and burnishing the edge with a smooth hardened steel spike. ( I did ask Craig to hedge harden the blade to a slightly higher R.C. than usual. ) Although this is mostly a stabber and not a powerful cutter as the narrow blade P.O.B. is on the handle just before the guard. Still being this sharp makes nasty if not disabling draw cuts possible.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean;

Great to hear that you got the new toy finally! Sounds, er, Sharp! Big Grin I don't think I'd care to meet up with one in the wrong hands in a dark alleyway...

And per hijacking your thread, if David wants to, I think it would indeed be a great new thread to discuss the reenacting scene in Europe! Lots of stuff to learn from them... Happy

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A Casual aside         Reply with quote

David Evans wrote:

Every single image that shows a dagger pretty much shows the same style of dagger, straight quillons, thumb ring, large-ish blade as against the size of body image, all seemingly worn thrust or attached to the sword belt across the small of the back and all worn with the hilt to the right side of the body.

I can draw my dagger with ease, with my right hand in that position. Or I can draw my sword with my right hand, I can not reach the dagger with my left hand at all! I'm guessing that no common soldier is or has been trained in the use of sword and dagger and that the dagger is more useful right hand drawn in close combat, such as Push of Pike.

The other option is, of course stylistic depiction.

The roman legionaries wore their Gladii on the right side of the body as well.
From my experience with group fighting, the explanation is quite simple. Daggers are only drawn in a clinch; I.E, I'm fighting with a polearm or spear, and someone rushes me.
Or, of corse, you're in a bar fight.
In such a situation, drawing acoss the body is either to slow, or imposible, due to the enemy/ your left arm/shield beeing in the way. So a right handed draw, probably to the "Ice-pick" grip, will be you best option.

(Roman officers wore their Gladii on the right. They weren't suposed to be in close combat anyway...)

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Use of thumb ring on Daggers
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: