Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some nice new stuff at Odinblades. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Some nice new stuff at Odinblades.         Reply with quote

http://www.odinblades.com/Pages/VenetianSabre.html

http://www.odinblades.com/Pages/OakshotFGSwd.html

I like the saber very much.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

very exciting to see some new historical stuff from odinblades Cool

I like the finger guard sword on the new page, and on "Page V" there is a sword called "Templar Knight Commander":

http://www.odinblades.com/Pages/TemplarKnightCommander.html

It looks like a nicely proportioned war sword. What really intrigued me about it was that the blade was taken to a mirror polish. Maybe this is a question to the collective, but historically was this a more common practice than modern sword recreations would lead us to believe? Is it still the modern aesthetic and or stigmata bred from stainless steel bladed replicas that makes this practice less common in modern swords than in their historical counterparts (aside from the probable increased cost of production, that is)?

In any case, a neat sword, and as time goes on I'm getting more and more into ingraving as embelishment. Really gives a sword a whole different character.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John certainly has a lot of talent! I wonder if like Rick Barrett he likes doing the fantasy swords better or if it's just what comes his way? He's certainly showing that he's very versatile and can do most things...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Templar Commander is a collaberation piece. The design is by Adrian Ko of SFI, the blade by Angus Trim, and the hilt, blade-refinement and hilt by John Lundemo. It is still one of the most beautifull swords I've ever seen.

And yes, I'm very glad John is getting the change to do some historical stuff. He has a talent for making odd-looking fantasy designs work, but he can do so much more.

BTW, can you tell I'm a fan of John's work?? Big Grin
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John definitely does great work. For a while it seemed like all he was getting were leaf blade fantasy commisions based on the LOTR swords. It is nice to see some different stuff from him, and I'm sure he enjoys the variety.
"The truth shall make ye fret."
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon wrote:
What really intrigued me about it was that the blade was taken to a mirror polish. Maybe this is a question to the collective, but historically was this a more common practice than modern sword recreations would lead us to believe?

Generally no, they weren't. When this sword was first introduced John commented that he would have preferred a different finish, but the customer requested a mirror polish.

I find the Oakeshott sword to be a bit lacking in the subtle areas of shape and form, it's still an attractive sword just the same. On the other hand I like that Venetian sabre very much. It's nice to see any smith stretching his boundaries. Nice work from John.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Josh Aldous

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
John certainly has a lot of talent! I wonder if like Rick Barrett he likes doing the fantasy swords better or if it's just what comes his way? He's certainly showing that he's very versatile and can do most things...

I really can't speak for John, but I've gotten a strong impression in speaking with him that the fantasy swords are indeed what comes his way. Even if he'd rather do more historical designs, though, man's gotta pay the bills.
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Aldous wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

I really can't speak for John, but I've gotten a strong impression in speaking with him that the fantasy swords are indeed what comes his way. Even if he'd rather do more historical designs, though, man's gotta pay the bills.

John's trying to steer away from outragous fantasy designs. As he said on AFI, a lot of the sword designs you see pn Swords Page 6 are from an actor, who needed them for stage-fighting.
What John really wants, is to design swords himself, and then sell them.
DaK A. Wade

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to chime in on this... As a recent how should I say "customer" I read a post by John in which he said how he was looking forward to being able to "make" his own designs and how he had allot of ideas, so... I asked about one in particular and all I can say is WOW about his design. I think given the chance of creating historical designs John will continue to surprise, amaze, and delight us. I know that in about a year I will be able to Ohhh and ahhh with the rest of his customers. (Shameless plug) so if you have an idea for a type of sword and want to see him at work, drop him a line like I did, you will not be disappointed.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

DaK A. Wade wrote:
I would like to chime in on this... As a recent how should I say "customer" I read a post by John in which he said how he was looking forward to being able to "make" his own designs and how he had allot of ideas, so... I asked about one in particular and all I can say is WOW about his design. I think given the chance of creating historical designs John will continue to surprise, amaze, and delight us. I know that in about a year I will be able to Ohhh and ahhh with the rest of his customers. (Shameless plug) so if you have an idea for a type of sword and want to see him at work, drop him a line like I did, you will not be disappointed.

I also asked John about some of his design ideas and he described one that was somewhat similar to the Venetian Saber. I wonder if it was the same one he described to you?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some nice new stuff at Odinblades.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic