Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Del Tin swords         Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been looking on the Del Tin website, and am interested in a couple of their migration era swords. I especially like the 2070 but also am interested in the 2071 and 2072. Anyone have experience with these swords? I've looked all over the website and can't seem to find prices anywhere. Anyone know how much these particular swords run?

I would greatly appreciate any information.

thanks

kenton
DaK A. Wade

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
I own a 2070 and I like it allot. The migration handle is what did it for me, as for the sword I have very little experience with "Viking" blades so I will tell you my impression is that it is a little blade heavy but not to overbearing it cuts nice on hard targets and really takes out pumpkins but I or it had a problem with those dang pool noodles. Over all for "my" first "Viking" I am very happy with it.

P.S. to look at prices the only place left in the US that I know of is http://www.a-work-of-art.net/

Last edited by DaK A. Wade on Mon 22 Aug, 2005 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton,
Welcome to myArmoury.com! I've moved your post to the Historical Arms Talk Forum, a more appropriate place for it.

Del Tin swords are usually purchased from dealers in the US for folks on this side of the pond. Art Elwell is a dealer. He's a great guy with great customer service. He makes nice scabbards to boot.

Viking Shield carries some of the early period models (http://www.viking-shield.com/deltinswords.html).

You can buy from Del Tin, but then you have to worry about import duties and international shipping. If you choose to go that route, Fulvio Del Tin can email a price list on request.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 2070 is one of DT's nicest swords, IMHO. While many people criticise (and in some cases, rightly so) Del Tin swords for being overweight (from just a bit to grossly obese) as compared to the originals on which they are based, the 2070 is just about right on. Blade heavy, yes -- PoB is about 8 inches or so -- but it feels great for hacking/cutting, and besides, it does have a flow to it. Not quite light and lively, but not dead weight either. Harmonic balance is nice too, especially when compared with other DT models.
The 2071 is similar to the 2070 in weight, but the balance is closer to the hilt so it feels livelier. The hilt feels smaller and therefore more confining. On mine, one of the rivets on the pommel has a sharp edge, but if you hold the hilt with that side away from you it's no problem (or you could just hit it with some fine sandpaper or with a little judicious file work).

Both these are nice swords, and fine representations of swords of Migration-era Europe.

Oh, and I'd recommend Art Elwell, too. Great guy to work with. Who knows, he might have something in stock....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm new here too. Big Grin

I own two Del Tins bought back in the days when Museum Replicas was one of their dealers. One is the DT 2130 Sword of St. Maurice and the other is their Norman Sword (I'm not sure what the item number is on that as I can't find the match on their website). Both came blunt and took some work with a file to gain a sharp edge. I've never done any serious cutting with them. The Norman was $225 and the St. Maurice was $250 but since they were purchased back in '89 and '92 respectively, the prices have gone anywhere but down. IIRC, the St. Maurice is running in the neighborhood of $325-350.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all your quick responses. As much as I love the look of the Del Tin 2070, I think I might need to take advantage of albions extended sale and pick up a laird or a thegn.

Kenton
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only DT I own is the 2133 (St. Maurice-Vienna). I bought it from Albion about four years ago. For a 12th C single-hander, it's a bit on the heavy side but handles nicely. It has much blade presense but isn't blade-heavy. The late Ewart Oakeshott classifies the original as a Type XI, but the blade on mine looks much more like a Type X (probably because of the replica's wider fuller). -Ted
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a DT2123 San Galgano (http://www.myArmoury.com/review_dt2123.html) that I bought from Art Elwell about 18 months ago. Art was a pleasure to deal with.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've acquired a fair few Del Tins over the years. In the order I bought them -

DT5156 - a heavy, late fifteenth century style XIIIa. Now that Albion has stopped carrying Del Tins, this model will drop out of the market. Fulvio had discontinued the 5156 and was only making it at Albion's request. You won't see it on the Del Tin website.

DT5140 - type XV, sometimes known as the Shrewsbury Sword

DT2121 - type Xa?

DT2164 - Cinquedea - this model may be discontinued.

DT5160 - Espada de Ropera - I was disappointed with this model, didn't care for its balance

DT5173 - the new Schiavona (see my avatar) a fine sword

DT2175 - dagger

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic