Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions of role of unarmored German Longsword style Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Questions of role of unarmored German Longsword style         Reply with quote

I just attended an ARMA training seminar Saturday (August 20th) involving about 5 hours of steady training (agile footwork, rehearsed wooden waster maneuvers, and padded foam sword sparring with about 15 minutes break every hour) in 100 deg. F heat. This was hosted by Jacob Norwood in Clarksville TN. Jacob is one of the few U.S. people around who can give John Clements a good challenge in sparring. Jake does a great job of coaching and inspiring participants, and included demonstrations of; the ability to easily dispatch attackers even outnumbered 3 against 1, applicability of techniques to rapier and buckler, daggers against longsword, etc. Despite the weather, this was tremendous fun, and quite humbling as Jacob generally finishes off an average opponent in less than 10 seconds, beginners “lethally killed” in a single hit. Despite flaws in what this “unarmored style” might or might not represent historically, it is vigorous exorcise, a cheap starting point for beginners, and illustrates the potential of the sword as both weapon and highly effective shield.

Numerous historical texts by medieval sword masters describe both unarmored and armored combat techniques. One might argue that unarmored sword combat played some part in knightly training, by at least some masters, over a span between 300 to 500 years based on texts and premises that original tradition was oral, according to the first masters to record the techniques in writing. Also, numerous, highly generalized articles, I have encountered on the web describe training of squires as including unarmored and armored combat techniques with multiple weapons. In the context of all of the above points, a couple of questions persist in my mind;

1) Who would have emplyed the German longsword combat style, as advocated by John Clements, and the great longsword masters of 1300’s through 1600’s, and under what circumstances?
Tournament dueling without shield in plate armour?
Foraging skirmishes (possibly men at arms attacking without full battle armor), etc.?
Training and conditioning?

2) Long hilted (grip lengths of at least 7” or more, preferably 8” to 10”) longswords are very advantageous for execution several associations’ present “interpretation” of techniques described by the historical masters. Additionally, good hilt length was repeatedly described historically as having room for 2-1/2 to 3 hands between guard and pommel. Admittedly, there are very few such swords remaining in museum displays. Where happened to such swords?

Did they never exist (all of the great masters detailed descriptions, and illustrations are highly inaccurate?)
Were such things utilized so extensively that they were typically broken in combat?
Were long hilted swords limited to dueling and training, and hence not preserved as representative of a real combat sword?

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Questions of role of unarmored German Longsword style         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:

Numerous historical texts by medieval sword masters describe both unarmored and armored combat techniques. One might argue that unarmored sword combat played some part in knightly training, by at least some masters, over a span between 300 to 500 years based on texts and premises that original tradition was oral, according to the first masters to record the techniques in writing. Also, numerous, highly generalized articles, I have encountered on the web describe training of squires as including unarmored and armored combat techniques with multiple weapons. In the context of all of the above points, a couple of questions persist in my mind;

1) Who would have emplyed the German longsword combat style, as advocated by John Clements, and the great longsword masters of 1300’s through 1600’s, and under what circumstances?
Tournament dueling without shield in plate armour?
Foraging skirmishes (possibly men at arms attacking without full battle armor), etc.?
Training and conditioning?

Hi Jared
There is a clear reference to juridical combat in many of the manuals from the late 15th century! Many of the fights are depicted inside a "shrank" or encirclement. In addition there is references that seems to say that the longsword could be used in such and not only by the nobility. In the regions under strong german influence it seems that the longsword as we call it was quite common even among the non noble population.

Quote:

2) Long hilted (grip lengths of at least 7” or more, preferably 8” to 10”) longswords are very advantageous for execution several associations’ present “interpretation” of techniques described by the historical masters. Additionally, good hilt length was repeatedly described historically as having room for 2-1/2 to 3 hands between guard and pommel. Admittedly, there are very few such swords remaining in museum displays. Where happened to such swords?

Did they never exist (all of the great masters detailed descriptions, and illustrations are highly inaccurate?)
Were such things utilized so extensively that they were typically broken in combat?
Were long hilted swords limited to dueling and training, and hence not preserved as representative of a real combat sword?

We have surviving examles of them here in Scandinavia. A brilliant example is the sword Peter Johnsson has made a reconstruction of that goes under the nickname "the Svante" after it´s owner!

Hope this shed some light! Sombody else will probaly help you more and will have the skill and nolage to go deeper into this...

Martin

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the response...         Reply with quote

I was aware of the judicial combat usage. According to other's translations ( I can not translate original texts) judicial combat was not specifically mentioned in earliest fechtbuch texts, and teaching of the techniques to merchant and civilian class was strongly discouraged. The technique of the two handed grip longsword was described by the masters' as a foundation for warriors' training with both sword and polearms/ staffs. In later texts, the discouragement of teaching this style of longsword combat to non-noble class does not seems to be mentioned any more, and the judicial combat is mentioned more often... A lot of changes occur during this period. Paid militia, civilian militias, and mercenary forces are utilized more and improve in terms of effectiveness during this period.

The whole subject of sword combat technique against armour (mail or plate) is rather baffling. Test cutting or slashing effectively is pretty difficult against mail and plate (I suppose trauma from impact alone could have been a very significant factor.) Some of the ARMA folks have tested cutting effectiveness against mail and found that even "bearded" axes require a special hooking technique to actually rip through mail. A lot of effort and several minutes can be wasted attempting to penetrate a small trial piece. This creates something of a mystery as to just how practical swords really were in armored battlefield combat from 12th century on, or at least doubts as to what manner they were really used (bludgeoning clubs? or chivalrous fencing instruments?). I do not dispute that they were used, only speculate that technique may have been quite different from my own childhood conceptions. Heavy sword weight, and long hilt leverage such as the Svante, might be more practical for armoured battle if technique actually rewarded brute force ("overbearing opponents like a buffalo" as the masters would say.) Alternatively, the swords may have only been utilized for a brief interlude (half swording, quick thrust attempt, etc.) prior to grappling and dagger work, as the bulk of the masters' advice on armored combat seems to suggest.

Lots of speculation, few answers, and few proofs.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the response...         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I was aware of the judicial combat usage. According to other's translations ( I can not translate original texts) judicial combat was not specifically mentioned in earliest fechtbuch texts, and teaching of the techniques to merchant and civilian class was strongly discouraged. The technique of the two handed grip longsword was described by the masters' as a foundation for warriors' training with both sword and polearms/ staffs. In later texts, the discouragement of teaching this style of longsword combat to non-noble class does not seems to be mentioned any more, and the judicial combat is mentioned more often... A lot of changes occur during this period. Paid militia, civilian militias, and mercenary forces are utilized more and improve in terms of effectiveness during this period.

We might have to specify what manuals we talk about here. In Hanko Döbringers manual dated from very late 14th c. he does not mention juridical combat in the Blossfechten (unarmoured fighting) section but rather talk of different principles he learned from Master J. Liechtenauer, both in man on man and against several opponents. Still though it is quite obvious that the swords he used where the more tapering ones because he emphesise that the three wonders is to be used (trust, drawcut and strike). much of it come from binden and is specifically aimed at the four blossen (openings). Later the Harnischfechten section is right now in work here in Sweden so I have to return to you with that.

The question of if a civilian would fight with a sword and what class in society the warriors came from is very different in the different regions of Europe in the high medieval and renaissance period. Hanko say that one should not teach the "unworthy" or the weakhearted. In northern scandinavia we don´t have a unarmed class in society rather the opposite.
I must agree with you that the attitude seems to change but we have to think of that the country we today call Germany didn´t exist as one homogeny nation in the 14 hundreds and different customs was evident in different parts of the region. Complexity is the word that springs to mind.

Quote:

The whole subject of sword combat technique against armour (mail or plate) is rather baffling. Test cutting or slashing effectively is pretty difficult against mail and plate (I suppose trauma from impact alone could have been a very significant factor.) Some of the ARMA folks have tested cutting effectiveness against mail and found that even "bearded" axes require a special hooking technique to actually rip through mail. A lot of effort and several minutes can be wasted attempting to penetrate a small trial piece. This creates something of a mystery as to just how practical swords really were in armored battlefield combat from 12th century on, or at least doubts as to what manner they were really used (bludgeoning clubs? or chivalrous fencing instruments?).

I rather think that the sword was not the most effective weapon on the battlefield, but now we blur the concepts a little bit. The techniques for harnischfechten are in my opinion first aimed at combat agains one opponent as in duel or man to man fighting. Not mainly for the press of the battlefield. Penetration of an armour is veritably impossible if you strike chopping strikes agains the foe, you have to thrust. And thats why the halfswording and such come in use more. Not only do you halfsword to get a thrust in, it´s a great way to work yourself onto a grappling situation where you can get the opponent down on the ground an finish him off with your dagger.

Quote:

I do not dispute that they were used, only speculate that technique may have been quite different from my own childhood conceptions. Heavy sword weight, and long hilt leverage such as the Svante, might be more practical for armoured battle if technique actually rewarded brute force ("overbearing opponents like a buffalo" as the masters would say.) Alternatively, the swords may have only been utilized for a brief interlude (half swording, quick thrust attempt, etc.) prior to grappling and dagger work, as the bulk of the masters' advice on armored combat seems to suggest.

Lots of speculation, few answers, and few proofs.

Quite so, It is for me at least. But in the case of the Svante you would be baffled by the way that sword works. Forget heavy and brute force, it´s not what you feel when you grip it, My waister is harder to maneuver than the Svante. (PJ version) It´s like comparing a Volvo 740 to a fine tuned, very expensive Mercedes 800 series. You don´t feel the two tons!

Well you're right. Lot´s of qualified guesses, not that many answers and lot of proofs to find if one take a more optimistic view.

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lets not forget the people that would practice swordplay for fun. Most of them would not have armour, or would not bother to wear it.
Wink

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the response...         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Some of the ARMA folks have tested cutting effectiveness against mail

This is a very controversial subject that I've no intention of arguing about....but I submit the notion that it's very difficult to perform a valid test of cutting against mail, and few have done so. To do it well would cost a great deal of money, that none of us likely have to burn.

If you think about the mechanics of it for a moment...hacking at a small, loose patch of mail sitting atop a hunk of meat, firewood, or a tree stump -- while interesting -- is going to tell you absolutely nothing about how the mail will react to the weapon when it is worn by a mobile human body. A patch of mail flopping around atop something is going to yield too much to be defeated. Likewise, mail patches secured to tree stumps, with no room to yield and no padding beneath, have been defeated more easily.

The most interesting test of mail I've seen was on a video from the Royal Armouries, in which they covered dummy torsos in riveted mail and went to work with various weapons. (The way the dummy flexed when hit, it looked like a CPR training dummy.) The results were fairly instructive, if not perfect.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The most interesting test of mail I've seen was on a video from the Royal Armouries, in which they covered dummy torsos in riveted mail and went to work with various weapons. (The way the dummy flexed when hit, it looked like a CPR training dummy.) The results were fairly instructive, if not perfect.

What were the results of this testing Joe? Sounds interesting.

I agree with you. Striking a piece of stationary mail won't tell us much, be it lain against a hard or soft surface. There's quite a bit of difference between that scenario and trying to get lethal penetration on mail being worn by a man who's moving around and trying his best not to get hit. Not to mention the fact that during the age of mail a shield would have been used as well, so this would have given you another defensive layer to defeat before a solid blow could be achieved against the mail.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are tests which are on video somewhere of John hitting a heavy punching bag 'wearing' a full riveted shirt as well as a gambeson of some sort if Im not mistaken. The results were little to no damage to the mail. With a tapering longsword and a strong thrust got into the gambeson only slightly but what was really interesting is that the rings almost bound up around the tip- keeping from going in very far even if one of the rivets were broken. It's been forever since I've seen this so the details may be off but that is what I seem to recal. I agree that a small patch does very little by the way of demonstrating what would happen to a person but usually those tests show newbies that you can not slice through mail. It is certainly cheaper than hacking at a full shirt. But tests on that have been done as well.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have been over this discussion before with the same frustrating results, at least for me, that once past the disclaimers about the tests not being scientific very little is said about the results of the tests.

The discussion then often degenerates into arguments about why this or that test is not conclusive proof of how effective or not effective a cut or a thrust against mail would be.

The last thing I want to see or start is one of those arguments Laughing Out Loud

I just think that if people have tried different things and gotten various results: Please tell us what they were somewhere in your post. ( It's like being told a good joke without ever being told the punch line Cry Laughing Out Loud )

So a test need not be THE test that will give us the final definitive answer to be worth hearing about !

AFTER you tell us the results you can give us all the reasons why we shouldn't generalize from a particular unscientific test. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, correct me if I am wrong but the original thought in this tread was not maillecutting, but rather Blossfechten. Just so we dont OT here!!

Martin

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin;

You're right, it is OT Big Grin

My only excuse is that the discussion had already started to drift a few posts before mine: These OT digressions do happen a lot here and sometimes we get some interesting content this way, but yes we should get back to the original topic or start a new one or ask one of the moderators to split off the topic where it got OT and make a new topic from it.

I would suggest that it would be a good idea to go back to the first post and re-read it attentively as the questions asked are very interesting. I think what happens is that we jump in in the middle and reply to the last few posts and neglect to check what the original question was.

Sorry if this is also OT Blush Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There´s no need for exuses, I just wanted to enlight the original question... Happy

Thanx... Martin

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
My only excuse is that the discussion had already started to drift a few posts before mine: These OT digressions do happen a lot here and sometimes we get some interesting content this way, but yes we should get back to the original topic or start a new one or ask one of the moderators to split off the topic where it got OT and make a new topic from it.

Jean,
A certain amount of digression is natural and expected as many lines of discussion have a very fluid nature. It's happend on every message board I've been a part of and it happens in real life, too. I certainly could split the posts off, but I'd rather not. If you'd like to start a new thread, please feel free. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Starting a new thread might be a good idea if you'd like to focus more on that point.

Leaving the moderating to the moderators is also a good idea guys. Big Grin

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions of role of unarmored German Longsword style
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic