Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I switched my order Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: I switched my order         Reply with quote

Okay, I admit that I'm one of those "switcher" guys but it normally doesn't happen too often. I had an order in for the Talhoffer but decided to change it to a Caithness. Why you say? Because I realized that I'll have 5 longswords and one short in my collection. This doesn't seem balanced enough even though I prefer longswords. The Caithness is unique and a type XII blade is high on my list. The Talhoffer will have to wait until next year sometime. Now for the Svante, I'm on pins and needles waiting for it Big Grin
Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good choice, Gary. I got one about three months ago with a light brown grip, and like it a lot. I had decided I wanted a one-handed sword and agonized between that and the Knight. Both (as well as the Laird) have identical blades. I decided on the Caithness because it was more unusual, a decision I have not regretted for a moment. I have five Albion swords at present and two more in the pipeline. I have to say that my hands down favorite is the Jarl. That surprised me because I'm not typically a big fan of Viking swords, they just aren't my bag, but I decided I wanted a representative example of the type. However, when it arrived I went nuts. I haven't hung it up with the others because I can't stop fiddling/playing with it. Perfect (for me) balance, heft, control, and indefinable spirit. Maybe I have a Viking or two in my ancestry somewhere.....
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: I switched my order         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
Okay, I admit that I'm one of those "switcher" guys but it normally doesn't happen too often. I had an order in for the Talhoffer but decided to change it to a Caithness. Why you say? Because I realized that I'll have 5 longswords and one short in my collection. This doesn't seem balanced enough even though I prefer longswords. The Caithness is unique and a type XII blade is high on my list. The Talhoffer will have to wait until next year sometime. Now for the Svante, I'm on pins and needles waiting for it Big Grin

Did the same thing myself recently (well with different swords). I don't want to be one of those "switcher" guys either but sometimes... well... you have to do what you have to do... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since the Talhoffer isn't yet in production I doubt Albion will send anyone to rough you up for switching on them. It would be different if you had a custom smith halfway through making your sword, and changed the design on him, or told Albion you wanted something else after they already made your sword.

Now if you switch again they might have to send someone over with one of those big ol' hammers. Eek!

"The truth shall make ye fret."
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just think its cool that the occasional switch can be accomodated!! Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Padgett wrote:
Since the Talhoffer isn't yet in production I doubt Albion will send anyone to rough you up for switching on them. It would be different if you had a custom smith halfway through making your sword, and changed the design on him, or told Albion you wanted something else after they already made your sword.

Now if you switch again they might have to send someone over with one of those big ol' hammers. Eek!

We'll that's why I chose to do it now before they had things in production. I don't think my gentle freinds at Albion would resort to violence.....or would they? Worried Laughing Out Loud

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't worry Gary. I too have a case of the 'switch-bug.' (ordered a Poitiers, but switched to Fiore).

Have you handled a Caithness? Very cool sword! -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Don't worry Gary. I too have a case of the 'switch-bug.' (ordered a Poitiers, but switched to Fiore).

Have you handled a Caithness? Very cool sword! -Ted

Never got to handle any of the type XII single handers but from all the feedback it's sounds like they're excellent. I have yet to be dissapointed by any of Albions blades so no worries here Cool

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I just think its cool that the occasional switch can be accomodated!! Big Grin

Yea, those guys are great about stuff like that. Let's face it, it's one of those things that makes us come back for more Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I switched my order
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic