Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This may have been brought up already, but what's the significance of the "H+H" inscription on the blade?
I don't believe it is known. On one side the inscription is H + H, and on the other side the inscription is + H +
Almost certainly it involves a Holy Trinity reference. There are three symbols on each face. There are three "H"s altogether. There are three crosses "+" altogether. Who knows just what the "H" stands for -- perhaps the maker's mark? Perhaps the initial of the original owner? The first letter of a well-known religious verse?

Brian M
Edward Hitchens wrote:
This may have been brought up already, but what's the significance of the "H+H" inscription on the blade?

Hi Edward...

Not sure if anyone knows what the "H"s and "+"s signify. I agree with Brian that is probably an opaque reference to the trinity.

One crazy possibility (and this is a long shot) is that it is the last remnants of the older Ulfberth motif. The reverse and obverse sides (back and front) show changes that could be interpreted as moving the forms closer to the arrangement seen on the St. Maurice Turin Sword. Like I said it is a crazy idea. :eek: Not one I would want to defend, but interesting to think about.

ks

Attachment: 92.28 KB
SMTincriptEvol.jpg
All images from Ian Peirce's "Swords of the Viking Age"
Howy,

Any updates on the SoSM?

Brian M

P.S. I just ordered a Tritonia for my 7th -- should be here in a couple of weeks. It should be interesting to compare these very large yet very different ML single-handers to each other.
Brian M wrote:
Howy,

Any updates on the SoSM?

Brian M

P.S. I just ordered a Tritonia for my 7th -- should be here in a couple of weeks. It should be interesting to compare these very large yet very different ML single-handers to each other.

Hey Brian!

Steve is running a reprogrammed blade with Peter's changes this weekend, and I am hoping we can wrap up St Maurice while Peter is here in November.

Best,

Howy
Mo Update
The new blade blank is completed and heat-treated and will be on its way to Peter next week for testing and final hilt work. As I said above, we hope to put this into production while Peter is here in late November.

Here is one photo of the unfinished blade blank with engraving:

[ Linked Image ]

a couple more photos here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/albion-sword-news.htm

Best,

Howy
That small full-length shot looks great. It will be very interesting to see such a big parabolic-taper blade in person. Kind of like a Gaddhjalt blade on steoroids.
Only 2 or 3 months to go, fingers crossed.

Brian M
Brian M wrote:
That small full-length shot looks great. It will be very interesting to see such a big parabolic-taper blade in person. Kind of like a Gaddhjalt blade on steoroids.
Only 2 or 3 months to go, fingers crossed.

Brian M

It is a really wild blade -- and just goes to show that any typology or classification we apply now would have meant little back then. Whether this was a one-of-a-kind design or a typical one in its day, we will never know. It is a beast, though, for a single-hand sword. Like the Tritonia, I could see this really coming into its own on horseback.

But then I really, really like big swords...

Best,

Howy
Gaddhjalt on steroids: Drats! Now you have me thinking about it ! The first step to financial DOOM :p :lol:
Hey Howard, that's a great picture of the blade! And Peter, great job on those etchings! :surprised:
I'm looking forward to comparing the blade side-by-side with my Gaddhjalt and Knight, two other blades with parabolic taper.
Looking at the smallish pic, I'd have to say that:
a) The SoSM seems to have very little profile taper up until the point at which the parabolic point section begins at roughly halfway down the blade.
b) The parabolic section seems to be more pronounced than either the Gaddhjalt or Knight -- perhaps becuase the blade is already wider to begin with. It seems to me that the SoSM's parabolic point stays "fatter" further out towards the tip (i.e. a much more gradual taper) while the Gaddhjalt and Knight's taper more acutely.
When money allows I will also add the Bayeaux to my collection and have another sword with similar blade profile to compare this to.

Brian M
Re: Mo Update
Howard Waddell wrote:
...Here is one photo of the unfinished blade blank with engraving....

The St Maurice will be one impressive sword! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. The engraving looks great! I am sure you mentioned somewhere in this looong thread, but would you mind repeating whether the engraving is done before or after heat treat?
Re: Mo Update
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
...Here is one photo of the unfinished blade blank with engraving....

The St Maurice will be one impressive sword! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. The engraving looks great! I am sure you mentioned somewhere in this looong thread, but would you mind repeating whether the engraving is done before or after heat treat?

Itīs done before heat treat.
Wow! I just saw the photos of the blade! Awesome, I can't wait to see one finished!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Page 5 of 5

Jump to: