myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Ritter Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking sword & scabbard, Peter .... Congratulations !

Christian is top notch, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will echo the comments of others. That sword and scabbard/belt combination is beautiful. I was a bit concerned about the light leather, and the potential for staining if not treated, but I saw that you will treat it with coachaline(sp?). I don't think the darkened color will be as stylish, but possibly more maintainable. That pommel wouldn't be my first choice, from the pictures, but I have never seen a Ritter in person, and it sounds like one really needs to do that,
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings Peter Busch, First off, that is an excellent package you have there sir!. Sword, scabbard, everything looks excellent. I really like the brown. I used to do black. Black everything. Somewhere along the line brown became the color. Different shades of it or maybe even some different color. Eek! What happened? Seeking authenticity and visual variety? I look at my collection now and am sickened by the "ubiquitious" black grips. No offense intended to those who like black. Wink I have learned how to do grip wraps so now I want a different color.
This bring us to hilt styles. I now own an Albion Clontarf. For the longest time I put it off because I did not care for the engravings. Somewhere along the line this weakened as I found one in the Marketplace. Similar to the Ritter, the Clontarf has become one of my favorite swords due to handling, feel, etc. I even like the engravings now.
Here we go on Brazil Nut pommels. I used to never like them. Now I am eagerly awaiting Albion's Reeve to come out, What happened here? Somewhere in the books, interests etc., my tastes changed. Eek! Now I want a Brazil Nut pommel and the Reeve will probaly be it.
This one of the great pleasures of our hobby. One evolves, changes etc. You are happy with your Ritter, I am happy for for you. You have every right to be proud of what you have put together. Big Grin Wear it with pride. It is what you wanted. At least you didn't have to endure 3 years of hard warfare to take it off of some dead guy. Wink On top of that, you got what you wanted before it became unavailable. Eek! Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Part of the problem for swords like the Ritter is that they tend to be overshadowed by swords such as the Knight. In many ways, the Knight fits people's conceptions of the classic medieval singled-handed sword, and therefore they are more likely to buy it and disregard the Ritter. I must admit though, it was Patrick Kelly's review and photos of the Knight which really made me want it. But for others, I am sure that its aesthetic qualities or handling drew them to it.

I also agree that many people have been "conditioned" by Hollywood or popular depictions of knights and gentleman to prefer certain types of weapons. Quite a few of Albion's swords don't particularly interest me- not because the weapons are poor- but simply because they don't have a visual aesthetic that catches my eye. Yet given the immense variety and variation of European sword design, it seems rather ridiculous how "conservative" many sword enthusiasts become due to this conditioning. As time goes on though, I think we will see a trend where people become far more open to different sword types, and gradually swords such as the RItter will become part of the mainstream of swords worth purchasing.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
...I think the Ritter suffers a bit from the "Tritonia Syndrome." I've handled and cut with both swords. They're both great, but very different in aesthetics and handling than what many folks expect or desire. People that own either of these swords generally rave about them, because they are unique and outstanding examples of their types. For others, though, the Ritter and Tritonia don't meet their needs.

Craig Peters wrote:
...I also agree that many people have been "conditioned" by Hollywood or popular depictions of knights and gentleman to prefer certain types of weapons. Quite a few of Albion's swords don't particularly interest me- not because the weapons are poor- but simply because they don't have a visual aesthetic that catches my eye.

Lack of popularity for the Ritter and Tritonia may or may not be a result of 'conditioning'. I can't say how much Hollywood/popular depiction conditioning affects my own aesthetic, but, while I personally don't care for the Ritter's pommel (or, at least, today I don't Laughing Out Loud ), I love the look of the Tritonia, and look forward to obtaining one when funds permit.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's certainly true that one's personal sense of aesthetics can be a handicap in appreciating swords. A lot of us are conditioned to expect a certain look in a sword. That particular look (i.e. the Knight) is attractive but of course is far from the only historical type.
I used to greatly dislike the look of Brazil-nut and Cocked-hat pommels. Then I bought the Gaddhjalt and learned to appreciate a pommel other than a wheel-type. Of course I still prefer the wheel styles, but a Brazil-nut/Cocked-hat pommel is no longer something that would keep me from buying a sword.
It's also been a help to read and understand that these "other" styles were the dominant types in their time and place. The Ritter is high on my list, and I wouldn't have said that a year ago.

Brian M
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:
...I think the Ritter suffers a bit from the "Tritonia Syndrome." I've handled and cut with both swords. They're both great, but very different in aesthetics and handling than what many folks expect or desire. People that own either of these swords generally rave about them, because they are unique and outstanding examples of their types. For others, though, the Ritter and Tritonia don't meet their needs.

Craig Peters wrote:
...I also agree that many people have been "conditioned" by Hollywood or popular depictions of knights and gentleman to prefer certain types of weapons. Quite a few of Albion's swords don't particularly interest me- not because the weapons are poor- but simply because they don't have a visual aesthetic that catches my eye.

Lack of popularity for the Ritter and Tritonia may or may not be a result of 'conditioning'. I can't say how much Hollywood/popular depiction conditioning affects my own aesthetic, but, while I personally don't care for the Ritter's pommel (or, at least, today I don't Laughing Out Loud ), I love the look of the Tritonia, and look forward to obtaining one when funds permit.

I didn't like the pommel on the Tritonia... but I bought the thing when a good deal came along anyway. You have no idea how happy I am that I did that. Like everything it grows on you and as it turns out the Tritonia is one heck of a sword.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
...I didn't like the pommel on the Tritonia... but I bought the thing when a good deal came along anyway. You have no idea how happy I am that I did that. Like everything it grows on you and as it turns out the Tritonia is one heck of a sword.

Thanks for reminding me that you outbid me on that one. Grumble, grumble. On the other hand, if you hadn't done that, I would not have my A&A GBS Laughing Out Loud .
Peter Busch

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: And here are a few more pictures ...         Reply with quote

Here are a few more pictures. You can see the coachaline didn't darken the leather. Overall I'm happy with the result.

Attachment: 52.74 KB
Ritter_6.jpg
Ritter6

Attachment: 47.01 KB
Ritter_7.jpg
Ritter7

Attachment: 65 KB
Ritter1 [ Download ]

Attachment: 112.67 KB
Ritter2 [ Download ]

Attachment: 124.59 KB
Ritter3 [ Download ]

Attachment: 106.85 KB
Ritter4 [ Download ]

Attachment: 65.2 KB
Ritter5 [ Download ]

Attachment: 96.71 KB
Ritter8 [ Download ]

http://www.swordforum.com/fall99/1865.html
http://www.oakeshott.org/1831art.html
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: And here are a few more pictures ...         Reply with quote

Peter Busch wrote:
Here are a few more pictures. You can see the coachaline didn't darken the leather. Overall I'm happy with the result.

That's interesting that it didn't darken. I guess the leather must have been well sealed beforehand? That is a very pretty kit you have there, Peter. Your Ritter is growing on me, but my funds don't allow anything more than a drool at the moment Eek!
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

Craig Peters wrote:

Personally, I would think that more people would be interested in the Tritonia than the Ritter because the Tritonia looks more like one of the conventional styles of sword we're used to seeing. I would think part of the reason people avoid the Tritonia might be because it's from the Museum Line, which means that if your funds are limited, it's probably preferable to save up a bit longer and buy two Next Generation swords instead.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Ritter
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: