Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ruel visits the Armour Class workshop in Glasgow ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Ruel visits the Armour Class workshop in Glasgow !         Reply with quote

Last summer, 2004, Ruel A Macaraeg visited the workshop of Armour Class, in Glasgow,Scotland !

The reasons for his visit was twofold ....
Firstly, to purchase one of their fine claidheamh dà làimh (which is a beautiful recreation of a classic 16th century two-hander) and secondly, to meet some of the talented craftspeople behind the hammers, while getting a firsthand look at the workshop where these fine products are made!

Ruel snapped the following 11 images ..... I will let him fill in the details, or answer any questions concerning them !

Alba gu brath, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Fri 09 Sep, 2005 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

continued .....
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Fri 09 Sep, 2005 7:22 am; edited 4 times in total
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This only makes me want to have my Armourclass Cup and Ring baskethilt even more. Big Grin

Great to see the workshops where all their swords are made. Very nice.

*sigh* Only a few more weeks........ Happy
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an interesting pic, as it shows their construction method on a few different basket-hilt types !
Looks like they cut out a pattern ( or it's punched out ?) and basically fold it up and weld, rather than assemble alot of sperate components !

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
This is an interesting pic, as it shows their construction method on a few different basket-hilt types !
Looks like they cut out a pattern ( or it's punched out ?) and basically fold it up and weld, rather than assemble alot of sperate components !

Mac,
That's true. I outlined the process a bit in my AC Cup and Ring basket hilt review.

Quote:
Allan was kind enough to detail the process for me: "There are no castings in the basket-hilt you have. The pattern is cut into 4mm sheet steel and all the edges are ground to shape, filed and sanded. The Saltire lines are ground in with a Dremel type of tool, the cup and ring marks are hot forged in with a die I turned on the lathe (small Colchester Student lathe). Areas of the hilt are heated yellow hot and hammered over profiled dollies to bring the basket into shape. Once this has been finalized, some of the areas are welded together and the sword catchers are welded in place. The whole hilt is then re-ground to shape, filed and sanded to the final finish."

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten !

I guess I never really got a grasp of their process until I saw that photo ..... interesting !
I know Donnie Shearer said he had a sheet pattern for a Drury regimental style hilt, perhaps he does something similar to what AC is doing on that one ?

Thanks again, Mac

Chad Arnow wrote:
Mac,
That's true. I outlined the process a bit in my AC Cup and Ring basket hilt review.

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac,

Thanks a bunch fo posting these! To see the birth-place of "my precious" is grand. and come to think of it, if these were taken "last summer", one of those Mort. hilts on the bottom shelf ,could've been mine in the making. One-day, when we get back over there, this is one place I must stop-into to view for myself.

That two-hander is quite brilliant as well!

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Goodwin wrote:
Mac,
Thanks a bunch fo posting these! To see the birth-place of my precious is grand.
One-day, when we get back over there, this is one place I must stop-into view for myself.
That two-hander is quite brilliant as well! Bill

Yer welcome, laddie ..... but the real thanks goes to Ruel !

I'm hoping to get the original high-res images from him so I can bring up the details !
* I'll also be adding these to the Album section once I have Ruel's commentary on 'em !

Pretty cool seeing all those baskets on the shelf there, 'eh William (Yup, Mort's are there too ;-)

I'll be roaming the streets of Glasgow very soon, myself, Lord willing !
* About a month from now, so you've been warned Scotland :-) Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the "inside scoop", Mac and Ruel!

I have a couple AC swords myself -- a Stirling-style "Wave-Hilt" backsword and a Stirling-style "Diamond-hilt" broadsword. They are not as finely detailed as a Vince Evans or Eljay Erickson, but they are very nice swords -- probably the best production (or more accurately, semi-production) Scottish basket hilts on the market currently.
My "Wave" hilt is a bit hefty for what it is, but it is very finely balanced, with a feel I'd describe as "precise". The Diamond hilt is better in terms of weight and in just very sweet to handle.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mac for getting the pix up -- and for your constant enthusiasm! -- and for everyone else's kind words. Let's see if we can make some sense of these shots; I'll try to put them in order as I took them.

The Armour Class workshop is in an industrial park on the western outskirts of Glasgow; you'd never find it if you didn't know exactly where to go! I suppose craftsmen need that kind of solitude to work. This is Ian, who showed me around the shop. Here he's demonstrating the flexibility of a newly tempered blade:

The blades get dunked in these three vats. I believe one is water, one is an oil quench, and the last for cryogenic tempering:

I can't recall what this is, but hopefully one of our resident makers will recognize it:

As noted above, these are templates for Scottish baskethilts.

Baskethilts and other complex hilts including clamshells and pappenheimers awaiting their cutlers:

Blade blanks. Ian said that most of their orders actually go to various live steel groups in the UK, some of whom even do sharpened sparring. According to him, Armour Class doesn't encourage this, but simply accepts it as the state of the market and adjusts production accordingly.

Some assembled swords: Clam/cuphilt rapier, shortsword mounted as a cuphilt, swepthilt rapier, Viking sword, main gauche, another clamshell with its main gauche, and a baskethilt (spadroon?). All handled nicely.

More finished swords; the Gilling at the end was particularly nice.

The one on the right is actually a saber with a shallow curve. This was probably the most interesting piece I handled there; too bad its not listed on the AC website because, given the fad for Euro-sabers currently taking hold, I'm sure it'd be on many short lists!

Sporrans and other tooled leatherwork. The baskethilts in front have a browned finish that looks pretty nice.
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot I had this picture! This is my claymore, held by a fine Scottish gentleman who's the managing technician for several buildings on the Glasgow University campus. He's probably about 5'9", to give some frame of reference. Despite my best efforts to hide it, the box was too big not to attract the notice of my fellow conference delegates and I had to let them all have a few swings with the sword. Happy

OK! Hopefully more to come from the Hunterian Museum. Thanks for letting me share, if a little late.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ruel

Thanks for letting us know the scoop on those photos .... much appreciated !
(I will add them to the Album section, unless you wish to ?)

Okay, next I will attach some of the photos Ruel took at the Hunterian Museum & Art Gallery , Glasgow .

Again, I'll let Ruel comment on what he shot !

* I do recognize that targe, though .....
It is know as the earliest dated targe, MacKay, which has '1623' engraved on its brass boss .

Mac

Attachment: 52.89 KB
Hunterian baskethilts.jpg

Attachment: 50.81 KB
Hunterian baskethilts 2.jpg

Attachment: 62.08 KB
Hunterian Japanese armour 2.jpg

Attachment: 65.63 KB
Hunterian Japanese armour.jpg

Attachment: 51.71 KB
Hunterian book.jpg

Attachment: 41.56 KB
Hunterian mace 2.jpg

Attachment: 40.69 KB
Hunterian mace.jpg

Attachment: 55.32 KB
Hunterian spears.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
(I will add them to the Album section, unless you wish to ?)

Be my guest -- I may have a "Mac-" in my name, but you're the real Scotsman! Cool Plus, they still don't seem to be uploading to the albums from my end...(?)

The Hunterian was actually closed at the time for renovation, but I was able to get in as I was a guest of the university for a conference. Happy Still, they only gave me 15 minutes -- I went in while the work crew was on a smoke break -- so I had to rush!

OK: The present site of Glasgow U only dates to the late 1800s, but the former site was a staging point for the Hanoverians throughout the whole Jacobite period. As such, it accumulated several contemporary arms and armor pieces, some of which are now on display at the Hunterian. Mac already identified the targe and baskethilts; the polearm's haft was apparently cut down. The dagger looks to me more like a Continental ballock than the more distinctly Scottish dirk.

Has anyone else wondered at the large number of Japanese armors in Britain? I didn't expect to find this one here, not to mention the case full at the Royal Museum in Edinburgh. Leeds of course has tons. This one has a lamellar cuirass instead of the more typical plate.

You should be able to read the caption here. There were commencement ceremonies going on at the same time I was there, and I think the actual mace was being paraded about during all the pomp and circumstance.

Some LaTene period Celtic stuff. I apologize for the glare:

The Gallery was preparing an exhibit on illuminated manuscripts, and I thought this would be of interest because it depicts an archer. Notice how he doesn't use a quiver, but simply tucks his arrows into a belt -- was this normal?
[/img]
Ruel A. Macaraeg

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a couple extra. These were acquired during the Captain Cook voyages. As you may know, Joseph Banks, the independently wealthy science officer on one of the expeditions who provided much of the financing, later fell out with the Royal Society. Instead of giving his acquisitions to them, he distributed them among his friends, one of whom was the eponymous Hunter (then of the Royal College of Physicians). These form the backbone of the Hunterian's historical and biological collections.

These two are Maori, from New Zealand: a maripi 'human skinner' fleshing knife/weapon with lashed shark's teeth, and a taiaha fighting staff.

This is a Haida whalebone club (NWCoast Indians):

These are Eskimo knives of walrus ivory.

Finally, a lorica segmentata. The captions on this weren't up, so I don't know if it's an original, a restored original, or a replica.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ruel visits the Armour Class workshop in Glasgow !
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic