Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new toy - Phoenix Metal Creations Bastard sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jakob Elbæk E. Pedersen

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: My new toy - Phoenix Metal Creations Bastard sword         Reply with quote

I have been practicing WMA for a little more than two years now, mainly german longsword. Having only had experience with blunt steel sparring swords so far, I decided for a little while ago that it was time to acquire a sharp sword for cutting tests, in order to gain a deeper understanding of a swords dynamics, to test and improve my cutting technique and, of course, for the fun of it Happy

I recently got the chance to buy an Oakeshott type XVIIIa.6 bastard sword, with italian fishtail pommel, with blade made by Angus Trim and hilt made by Erik Stevenson of Pheonix metal creations, whom, I understand, unfortunally is no longer making swords commercially. A leather-covered wooden scabbard, also made by Erik Stevenson, was included in the deal.

Having always been a great fan of the italian fishtail pommel, knowing the quality of Angus Trim's blades from countless rewievs and being out looking for a sharp sword for cutting, I decided that this sword was just the thing I was looking for - no, actually I decided that I needed this sword more than I needed food (I'm a student), so I went ahead and bought it.

I recieved the sword, by mail, this afternoon - and I must say; It is truly a beautiful sword (I will let the pictures attatched below speak for themselves). The sword handles perfect when used two-handed and it can be used comfortably one-handed. I have only had the time to cut with it once, but it made a nice clean cut through a water-filled plastic bottle. Cutting water-filled bottles is great fun - and I bet i'ts addictive too Happy

As for the more technical details on the sword, look here; http://www.phoenixmetalcreations.com/bastard_swords.html.

The pictures below are the ones sent to me by the seller, before I bought the sword.

/Jakob
-bitten by the sword-bug.....

Attachment: 27.21 KB
DSC00844.JPG

Attachment: 43.27 KB
Sværd9.jpg

Attachment: 48.35 KB
Sværd9b.jpg

Attachment: 23.78 KB
DSC00841.JPG

Attachment: 26.04 KB
DSC00842.JPG

Attachment: 28.2 KB
DSC00843.JPG

Quia Possum
(Because I can)
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks just like Albion's Regent, perhaps with a flattened diamond instead of hollow-ground blade.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...xviiia.htm

Nice looking sword, I'm thinking about this one for next year.

Brian M
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm also a big fan of the fish tail pommel, and have an Atrim very similar to that. Nice sword! I can see why it won out over food. Big Grin
"The truth shall make ye fret."
Jakob Elbæk E. Pedersen

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Padgett wrote:
Nice sword! I can see why it won out over food. Big Grin

Yay - and besides; I could probaly afford to loose som weight anyway. Quitting smoking did put some extra pounds on the bones Big Grin

/Jakob

Quia Possum
(Because I can)
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Looks just like Albion's Regent, perhaps with a flattened diamond instead of hollow-ground blade

I was thinking the same thing, but looked up the spec sheet on the Phoenix and was surprised to see that it's nearly a full pound lighter than the Albion if the specs are accurate. Blade length is quite close.
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jakob Elbæk E. Pedersen wrote:
J. Padgett wrote:
Nice sword! I can see why it won out over food. Big Grin

Yay - and besides; I could probaly afford to loose som weight anyway. Quitting smoking did put some extra pounds on the bones Big Grin

/Jakob

I am reminded of some words by that great mind, Homer Simpson, when asked upon the wisdom of choosing deadly objects over foodstuffs: "This thing's bound to kill something..."
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert B. Allison wrote:
I was thinking the same thing, but looked up the spec sheet on the Phoenix and was surprised to see that it's nearly a full pound lighter than the Albion if the specs are accurate. Blade length is quite close.

Doing the math, it's closer to 3/4 of a pound than a full pound difference from Albion's specs. Also, my Regent and some other recent ones are weighing in at around 3.25 pounds, rather than the earlier ones (and Albion's posted specs) that show around 3.5.

As tempting as it is to compare visually similar swords, the Regent and this aren't as similar as some might think. The Regent is 3 inches longer (grip and pommel, apparently), the blade is a little wider, and Gus's blade isn't as thick nor is it hollow-ground. Not quite apples-to-apples. Plus, Erik says:

Quote:
Note: all measurements are approximate

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Thu 22 Sep, 2005 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this sword is fairly well muted compared to the Regent - not as radical on the contours. . . perhaps "toned down" is a better choice of words? I also noticed the pommel is peened rather than the traditional atrim nut - I wonder if down the road you might see a bit of the Del Tin hilt loosening problem with such a setup (or are the guard and pommel separately fixed to the tang - I would just hate to see you have to smack it with a hammer to get it tight again. . .)?

A lovely sword Happy
Jakob Elbæk E. Pedersen

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks...

The pommel is a bit turned (well under 1/4 inch), but I do not think that it is due to the hilt being loose, I think the sword was made like that. It is not something you notice at first hand, but if you examine the sword you'll notice it.

/Jakob

Quia Possum
(Because I can)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new toy - Phoenix Metal Creations Bastard sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic