Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Awaiting Arrival of the Danish War Axe by A&A Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob,

No one is doubting that your black belt was hard earned and well deserved. My point was and is this: That belt doesn't mean anything (and I have a couple of things like that myself) in that it doesn't define who you are as a person or who you are as a martial artist. I'm sure you're aware that the colored belt system is purely a western invention that plays upon our need for physical gratification, the orientals didn't invent it, nor did they use it until they began dealing with western students on a regular basis. One of my instructors was an original student of Master Seiyu Oyata, who was responsible for bringing our style to the United States. Consequently my training wasn't far from the source. In the oriental mind the black belt does not signify a master or expert. What it does signify is that you're now a senior student who has mastered the basics of the art and is now ready to learn the "good stuff". I'm not trying to devalue your achievements in any way. What I am trying to do is point out that your black belt isn't an end unto itself, but simply another step in your journey. I'm sure there are other aspects of your training, both physical and psychological, that have carried over into your everyday life that are worth more than simply knowing how to kick the dog snot out of someone. Big Grin

I could say that I held a golden jock strap in squating chicken gumbo ryu, but does that define me as a human being or a martial artist? (just a bit of humor there, so no offense meant.)

Anyway, back on topic..................

If you are trying to find out how an ancient weapon functioned the best thing you can do is to divorce yourself from your past experiences. For example: a person has studied kenjitsu for his entire life. He then picks up a european longsword and extrapolates a method of use based upon his previous experience. This should work because it's still a sword right? Wrong. While there are some striking similarities because of things like biomechanics there are also some striking differences due to weapon design, method of use, environment, etc. If a person approaches analysis from a point of preconception he/she will be led down the wrong road every time. That's why it's so important to start with a blank slate. This is why the study of period manuscripts, artwork, forensic analysis of remains, and etc. are so important. This is the closest we can come to "the source".

I'm not saying that your impressions of this axe are wrong. I'm just trying to put things in perspective for you. It seems to be a good hooking weapon to me too, and I see no reason why it couldn't have been used that way, or as a staff weapon either. Unfortunately we don't have any period documentation on this particular weapon so your guess is as good as any other.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Danish War Axe         Reply with quote

I received my black belt in October of 2004. I hate to toot my own horn here, but in answer to your question, I am quite deadly, was highly trained and instincts honed, everything was fine tuned by Keith Hackney. I am not crippled up, all pics are relatively recent, just cannot go on doing what I was doing anymore.
I had excellent fighting abilities, though not as fast with feet as were the guys in their 20s, so I used to do a lot of counter fighting. What I was good at was taking the opponent out of his game, turn the momentum around and drive him into walls, the floor, etc. LOL. Locked horns with some pretty good fighters too!
So in answer, yes I am very confident in my ability to defend myself or someone else. What I enjoyed was sport fighting, bang heads, knock each other around and then we tell each other what a great fight it was! I was never one to be violent, when a situation results in violence that often means the martial artist failed somewhere to subdue the situation before it got out of hand.
Training under Keith Hackney I learned ground fighting skills, how to use the headlight on a car, how to use a telephone pole, how to use a brick wall, the sidewalk, on and on. Keith was also a Navy SEAL, went into the SEALS straight out of high school and fought in 4 UFC fights (Ultimate Fighting Championships) best known for his defeat over 6' 8" 616 lb Emanuel Yarborough # 2 ranked Sumo in UFC 3. You can see the fight if you purchase Best of the UFC Volume 1, can be found at Best Buy.

Anyway, enough about myself, I sound like my own fan club and I do not want to present myself to the fine people in this website as being some egomaniac. I was very good and I have had the honor to have the heck beat out of me by "Dimitrius" (former kickboxing champion of Lithuania) at Hackneys Combat. I will attach a photo of him, incidently he is a humble man and now has an interest in swords. I stopped by Hackneys Combat to show the guys my very fine wares from Arms and Armor.

I am here to learn from all of you, who have been studying and collecting swords and weaponry for quite some time, and I am always open to being corrected when I am wrong. Besides, no black belt no matter how good he is, is going to try to take on someone skilled with a medieval sword! LOL! Seriously, I am here to learn and most if not all of you, know a heck of a lot more than I do about this stuff. In truth, I love these Medieval European Swords, weaponry, and armor, more than I did karate. This too is a martial art, and it is also our heritage. I come to this hobby we share from another aspect other than martial arts, I am also a genealogy and history buff.
I am fascinated with these weapons, this was a time when you got face to face with your enemy, up close and personal, not taking shots from a gun at a distance. I am also extremely grateful for Arms & Armor and Albion Swords, Vince Evans, Peter Johnson, Christian Fletcher, Christian Tobler and especially I am grateful to David Peck and Craig Johnson both of Arms & Armor. David Peck is the man who got me hooked! He is the Arms & Armor mgr at the Bristol Renaissance Faire here on the border of IL and WI. It all started with the purchase of the 12 Century Saxon Spear in 2003, then the purchase of the Saxon Parrying Dagger also through David Peck in 2004, the dagger drove the obsession home! I felt a warmth soul deep when I bought that dagger.

I know many of you are crazy about Albion, I take nothing away from them, have yet to see an Albion sword in person, but I am very happy with Arms & Armor and the fine way I have been treated by them repeatedly. Best customer service I ever experienced anywhere, ever in my life!
Besides, my wife has a lot of admiration for Arms & Armor too, and being that she tolerates my desire to collect swords and weaponry, in our financial situation to be spending $900.00 on a sword everytime I want a new sword instead of say $700.00. I will wind up with a sword hilt sticking out of the seat of my pants. If you know what I mean?
Though they may be "production" swords, but my Arms & Armor swords are sacred to me, and considering the price which I think is very fair, makes them all the more beautiful and "possible" (wife has a say in the money affairs ya know LOL) for me to acquire.

Whether someone's most fine quality sword acquisition is an Albion, Vince Evans, Peter Johnson or Arms & Armor, or other fine sword, I am always very happy for the person and I say that in truth! Remember, Arms & Armor also makes custom swords!

Next acquisition will be in 2006 and the first sword will be the Edward III from Arms & Armor, probably with some custom engraving. Yep, I have a couple of Albions on my mind, Caithness and Sovereign just to name a couple.

Once again I blabbered on! LOL!

Happy Collecting to ALL of You!,

Bob
Mitch Lam

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Danish War Axe         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I received my black belt in October of 2004. I hate to toot my own horn here, but in answer to your question, I am quite deadly, was highly trained and instincts honed, everything was fine tuned by Keith Hackney. I

with all due respect to both you and these fora I want with the most possible politeness ask that you please stop talking about your black belt.......you mentioned it in so many posts now through various threads that its just getting repetitive. Its been refreshing that these fora are not filled with 'mine is bigger than yours' boasting like other sites on the web. I really hope not to insult you and not trying to rock the boat. I hope you understand where I'm coming from and really hope not to get banned for saying thisthanks
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Danish War Axe         Reply with quote

Mitch Lam wrote:

with all due respect to both you and these fora I want with the most possible politeness ask that you please stop talking about your black belt.......you mentioned it in so many posts now through various threads that its just getting repetitive. Its been refreshing that these fora are not filled with 'mine is bigger than yours' boasting like other sites on the web. I really hope not to insult you and not trying to rock the boat. I hope you understand where I'm coming from and really hope not to get banned for saying thisthanks

Mitch,
If you'd like to show "due respect" to this site and its members, then please allow the Moderators to do the moderating; do not take it upon yourself to do so. If you have a concern about a member or the direction of a thread, please inform a moderator. In most cases, we're likely to be already aware of the situation and are monitoring it.

As for banning people: it's something we try not to do, and it usually only happens in very extreme cases, which this, so far, is not. This is not a ban-happy site.

As for discussing black belts and other things that are wildly off-topic in the context of this thread's original intent, I'd like to ask everyone to return to the original line of discussion.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Bob.

In wrapping up the week, I'm a bit pushed these last two days and have only read posts. Bob, I realize that I do owe you a response to a post which I directed specifically to you. I look forward to reading more of your posts concerning the Dane axe and, in their proper place, the other, broader interests we share.

My thanks for your patience, Bob.

Michael

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Danish War Axe         Reply with quote

There will be no further reference to my belt, it got way out of hand and far beyond anything I wanted it to go to.
Coming off as considering myself a notch up from others, is the LAST thing I want anyone to get the impression of, I am here to learn. I was also only trying to amplify that I like our common interest even more and that while I am only a novice in the area of our common interest that I did have some knowledge in an area that gave me "some" insight.
So, my apologies to everyone!

I have also repeatedly stated I am only a novice and have a lot to learn that for me to try to preach about swords would be nothing but ignorant arrogance on my part.

Actually I am even considering changing the picture associated with my name, it does look kind of egotistical.

So if I have offended anyone, I do apologize and I hope that you will continue to guide me in the area of learning what you have learned.

Still waiting for my book Sword in the Age of Chivalry

PEACE,

Bob
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got a fair bit of experience in Aikido, and I'll testify that there is nothing "soft" about it, in a traditional school... You're hitting the mat many, many times during a workout, and this is actually harder on the body than any of the "hard" arts I have more experience in.

That's one of the best things about Aikido, in my opinion -- toughening the body in general, if not the knuckles.

Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe;

Thanks for the correction that Aikido is not soft on the body at least as far as wear and tear on a previously damaged body: Might not be an ideal alternate martial art for someone who has to stop practising Karate like BOb because of injuries.

Maybe " soft " in the sense of being more circular and using strikes a lot less than the more linear types of martial arts.

In any case maybe more discussion about the various eastern martial arts should be part of a new topic.
( Not playing moderator here. Cool Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right, so about that Danish long axe.... I worked with a couple of long axe "gurus" at practice on Thursday night. It was a fascinating evening, and I can't begin to relay all of the knowledge they heaped on me, but here's what I recall:

Range and positioning are of utmost priority. I had been right about this to an extent, but they really pounded this into my head (really). Shieldmen are at a disadvantage if you dictate the range, and you must, because if you allow a SwordNBoard inside, its usually all over. Really distance is the only defense is space there's no way you're gonna out twitch a sword. Spend most of your thought on range and position, keep moving and chopping while you look for an opening.

A barrage of overhand chops is more effective than big arcing loops. The figure eight thing may look cool, but so does flipping a ballisong (butterfly) knife, and they both get the same results in a fight.

Hooking is a mixed bag. It's really a group tool. even a falling opponent can lash out, and you have no defense if you're axe is tied up.

Many people will block your haft and still get brained - this is good. Many people lack the upper body strength to stop a 240lb maniac's crushing overhand greataxe blows with just a heater shield, and center boss shields are even more tiring to use. Laughing Out Loud Some people, however, are immensely strong and if you get hooked on their shield, they will lift you off your feet and stab you in the ribs WTF?!

Spend most of your thought on range and position, keep moving and chopping while you look for an opening.

There is no historical evidence that anyone ever died from an axebutt to the face, but you can't prove a negative, and it can be a marvelous way to get untangle and reestablish your distance at the same time.

This should be in the Ten Commandments of Fighting, but it always bears repeating: power from the hips. If your right hand is forward, your right leg should be too so you can generate POWER from your HIPS. I know this and I forget it every time I learn a new weapon. This is not a smallsword and it will wear you out if you try to muscle it.

Spend most of your thought on range and position, keep moving and chopping while you look for an opening.

I hope that helps, and I hope I got it right. This can be a fluid, graceful, deceptive instrument. My thanks to Olcan and Idanthricis (spelling?), for all the wisdom and bruises.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin;

Thanks for the great and to the point post, any chance of getting more input on the use of the Danish axe for those guys?

Or get them to join and post here. Cool Laughing Out Loud

If controlling the range is this essential what does this tell us about the use of the great axe in individual combat compared to battle use in either loose formation or a compact shield wall where controlling distance would be more difficult ???

In a shield wall you would maybe depend more on the others next to you with shields to take care of defence and would control distance by alternating between being behind the shield wall and rushing to the front of the shield wall or a bit beyond to strike.

Just speculation on my part to keep the discussion going. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the great information Gavin.

Jean wrote:
In a shield wall you would maybe depend more on the others next to you with shields to take care of defence and would control distance by alternating between being behind the shield wall and rushing to the front of the shield wall or a bit beyond to strike.

This is a good point Jean, and one of the reasons why I feel that this axe was probably a specialized weapon instead of a general purpose one. Distance is really the only effective defense you have with a weapon like this. From my past experiences in fighting with pikes and spears, I can attest that if you let an opponent with a sword and shield get too close you're likely to have your day ruined. When working in conjunction with shield-men it would be much easier to let them control the distance, and/or retire behind the protection of the shield wall, or have then come to to your aid if the enemy got too close.

Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick did the vikings fight in the shield wall with spears or langsaxes/axe, or both. I know I'm being lazy here, but in the interest of time I'll just ask. I'm thinking of sword and roundshield, but given the popularity, availability and gereral veneration given the spear, I'd assume it was present in the wall. If so did they sling their shield, or just stand behind shieldmen? Either way that would change the entire exercise, if range indeed is a key factor. This would mean that axes wouldn't be dictating range at all in shieldwall combat, spears would. That would tend to support the idea of axes in a specialized role.

Oh yes, one more thing I learned, a good two hand shove to the shield of someone who isn't expecting it can have amusing results, and plays into that range advantage rather nicely.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sort of just joking but wouldn't a shield wall be a lot like American Football with spears and shields, swords and axe and
NO RULES and at least a few Berserkers being a part of your shield wall.

Reinactors may have some basis to give us an opinion on this but the fact that they must use restraint makes it difficult to test out the more savage possibilities.

We shouldn't underestimate the role of skill and courage, but brute force + " Crazy " might also play a major part in deciding the outcome of a fight: A few 300 pound guys in your line armed with axes ............ Razz Laughing Out Loud

Oh, did the Vikings use a triangular formation at times to attack a shield wall with maybe the biggest guys at the apex of the triangle ? Didn't the Celts use these formations against the Romans with varying degrees of success ?

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Power from the hips         Reply with quote

Yep, immense power comes from the hips, as well as proper stance, though in the chaos of battle, it is a nightmare in there. Which is why I liked Hackney's so much. Reality combat!
Those beautiful poetic movements do not have any place in real battle, this I agree with 200% and it is also what I was taught!

Happy Collecting,

Bob
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Patrick did the vikings fight in the shield wall with spears or langsaxes/axe, or both. I know I'm being lazy here, but in the interest of time I'll just ask. I'm thinking of sword and roundshield, but given the popularity, availability and gereral veneration given the spear, I'd assume it was present in the wall. If so did they sling their shield, or just stand behind shieldmen? Either way that would change the entire exercise, if range indeed is a key factor. This would mean that axes wouldn't be dictating range at all in shieldwall combat, spears would. That would tend to support the idea of axes in a specialized role.

I would say all of the above, although from what I've read the spear seems to have been the primary weapon of first contact in shield wall tactics of the viking and early middle ages. I see other weapons such as swords and hand axes being used when the formation may be broken, or when the spears are broken or lost. In regards to the Dane axe: I see the axe man positioning himself behind the first rank in the wall, and springing out to attack at an available opportunity. I think this is most likely what we're seeing on the Bayeux Tapestry when we see a saxon huscarl standing in front of the shield wall and striking at a mounted norman miles. I don't think it was a case of standing out in the open with a "come and get it" attitude. Also perhaps trying to strike over the shields of the front rank in the wall when engaging other infantry.

This is all speculation of course, but this goes back to my feeling of this axe being more of a shock troop kind of weapon rather than a piece of front-line grunt equipment.

Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Right, so about that Danish long axe.... I worked with a couple of long axe "gurus" at practice on Thursday night. It was a fascinating evening, and I can't begin to relay all of the knowledge they heaped on me, but here's what I recall:

Fantastic. This sort of more full-on sparring is exactly what I lack to get a genuine feel for something like the Dane axe.

Gavin, did you have any opportunity to try to exploit a left-hand forward grip to attack the shield's off-side?

Gavin Kisebach wrote:

Not Patrick, but "both" is the understanding with respect to spear and seaxe/hand-axe, and possibly langeseaxe. You were questioning Norse tactics but to take as example something post Cnut, the tapestry in the case of the Huscarls shows Dane axe, sword-and-shield, javellin and spear all in evidence on the Saxon side. This was my point in mentioning the spear earlier; as it already best fills the role of polearm and is certainly more common. The shields, btw, would ideally have been enarmed to better support the shieldwall's forward ranks, wouldn't they, with the occassional respite when allowed? Where we then place the Dane axe is where it begins to fall apart. In the example of Hastings, we know they both formed a personal guard and were also somehow disposed to "meet" the Normans...but the specifics just aren't readily to hand. Hastings is a toss-up, anyway, I suppose, regarding a questionable generalization.

I'm not certain what you mean by "This would mean that axes wouldn't be dictating range at all in shieldwall combat, spears would", as I'd think the shieldwall would be deciding the distance at actual engagement (any name-calling, psychological prelims, or missile weapons aside). While probably not shield to shield as in a perfect scenario, certainly the shieldwall was tight enough to at least approach a cohesive front. And, if only at engagement. This check of the opposing force was the shieldwall's basis, while maintaing that check was its goal. And, in at least the instance of Hastings, we're speaking of cavalry too, however light it may have been by later standards and uphill or not. And, here again is the question of the Dane axe. Was it best employed prior to direct engagement, before spear reach and after any missile weapons, with the huscarls or norsemen rushing en masse or in small supported groups at an opposing section seeking to gap the opposing shieldwall and then retiring in control or being joined forward by their own shieldwall? Or, at...hmm, what is push of pike in this context...a meeting of the forces, in the attempt to open or exploit a likely flaw developing in the opposing formation? Or was it at interlude, with the Dane axe picking and choosing when the forces pulled back, maybe with the hope of inspiring a rout? At the charge or at the wheeling of the cavalry to reform? We see huscarls in the very midst of cavalry in the tapestry, common? In the van, forming the center, or reinforcing the front rank?

Again, any Viking Age re-enactors on the forum to lend their experience in a more purely viking-type setting?

Michael

Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Danish War Axe as a Weapon         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
...I do believe that the hooking maneuvers were one of the intents of this weapon, though I know little along the lines of medieval weaponry, I have learned that a lot of the art of medieval weapons has been lost, it did not stay as a part of the culture as did similar weapons in the asian world. So unless someone has access to the concrete facts of how this weapon was intended to be used, then who is to say what it was designed for? Sure it is obvious that the main use was as a hacking weapon, but that does not mean this was the limit of it's intended use.
(emphasis mine)

Regarding the emphasis I've drawn in this portion of your post, Bob, I'll certainly agree! On your last sentence, well, I'd still argue that, in context, yes, it was the Dane axe's primary worth and over-riding consideration. What we can do, however, is attempt to place the Dane axe in the context of what little is known.

That context carries a lot with it, really, in that we know that the warrior units best known for using such a weapon all wore expensive mail and were drawn from the upper classes, were renowned for their ferocity and steadfastness in battle, were often acting in the role of standard guard or outright bodyguard, were usually relatively few in number (as opposed to the spear for instance or even later halberd), and, to top it off, were almost invariably described as 'large'. We also know that the dane axe doesn't carry on in a manner like the later halberd (what, some five hundred years?), though a lot of the previous description does also fit the halberd.

The discussion of Dane axe as staff/pole weapon isn't new. My questions, for example, sprang directly from two old threads in other forums. I mentioned working with some of the techniques in a static environment to lay foundation for my growing critique of placing the Dane axe any more fully in the realm of staff or pole weapon than the very basics of the weapon might call for in a very practical sense, and to state my uneasiness with attempting to make those techniques work in a satisfying manner. Yes, some of the staff scenarios will work, but you always end up pondering the usefulness of another foot of reach or, in treatises dealing specifically with the more similar length of the pollaxe, the very shape of the Dane axe vis á vis a missing dague or back-spike. Nothing insurmountable, but the idea of a lack of optimization towards a true polearm is readily apparent and I commented on this in one of my first posts to this thread. And, this is in static dril. What you begin to think about, in fact, is, to echo Sean Flynt, something a lot like a halberd. Actually, my progression went first to the early pollaxe; then, realizing I wouldn't be in plate, to the longer halberd as generally envisioned.

My problems with using the Dane axe as heavy shock weapon...an axe...stem only, in my mind, from an uneasiness with the vulnerability and sheer moxy of it all. But, the technique underlaying such an idea doesn't pose the same sort of conundrum that attempting to force the axe into a more proper polearm technique offers....still an active, aggressive defense in the form of offense as you might find in the pollaxe, lacking a lot of outright defense offered by the pollaxe, but more easily conceivable in its place. Again, I'm not saying that the Dane axe can't be used with what we think of as more proper staff or polearm technique, simply that I'm of the mind that if the Dane axe was meant to fulfill the role of a halberd or pollaxe, it would have come out looking more like a pollaxe or halberd. The men who used these tools weren't incompetent in the knowledge of their needs, after all. And, even if we can't quite figure out exactly what those needs were, or their place in the overall scheme of things, we do think we know what a Dane axe generally looked like (and, it should be noted, not always the A&A Danish, but still a Type M along general lines).

Patrick Kelly has already noted the elite nature of something like those Huscarls who chose to wield the Dane axe. The England of the day was already a manorial system of sorts and, in this case, the huscarls were recruited from the upper classes. This carries through with the earlier Norse bondi which Gavin mentioned; the Rus and later English (certainly after Hastings) Guard Varangians; and even the much later Gallowglasses which Sean noted. As warrior elites in their respective societies, we'd expect a refined system of weapon handling from all of these groups...and even in Dane axe as axe, we may be getting it. 'Just a little more specialized than we'd like with a piece so evocative of last ditch battles and exiled hopes.

I think the problem inherent in the ongoing question of Dane axe as axe or polearm is our modern trend to imagining older weapons as some sort of highly personal representation...the desire to have them be emblematic of an all-around weapon, providing only that you possess the individual skill required to wield them to their potential. Such simply isn't always the case. Nothing truly highlights this fact more than the sword, itself, though the Dane axe may be a more precise example.

Bob, I though you might like this oft-mentioned shot, courtesy of ARMA (http://www.thearma.org/) and Talhoffer:

hooking

Michael

Last edited by Michael G. Myers on Sun 23 Oct, 2005 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Sean your post brings up a good point . In situations like this it's all too easy to fall into contemplating what is possible with a given weapon and thereby forget about what is probable...]

Worth noting is that the Irish of the time employed outright halberdiers and pikemen in addition to fielding Gallowglass battles, as I understand it.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
My assumptions (and that's all they are since I don't know anymore about this weapon than anyone else does) are based on period artwork and the known tactics of the time. Period artwork such as the Bayeux Tapestry show axes with haft lengths greater than the A&A version. In nearly every instance where the axe is planted on the ground the head comes up to the users chin, or higher. This is what I'm basing my personal assumption of length on. This type of axe seems to fall out of use around the same time as shield wall tactics gave way to other forms of warfare. My assumption that this is somewhat of a specialized weapon best suited for a particular environment is partly based on this. Perhaps the later halberd, bill, etc. can be seen as evolutions of the older Dane axe? These will fill the same role as the axe in a close-packed formation, yet are more versatile in other circumstances?

Dig. I've viewed those sections as exceptions, but I suppose, given the vagaries of the tapestry, they could be an attempt at a clearer representation than the scenes of battle. Patrick, may I ask what you make of the general outline of the Dane hafts, themselves, in the tapestry, irrespective of length but rather contour?

I've actually held to the old view of the halberd, etc developing out of the spear. Sean Flynt's review of Waldeman's thoughts doesn't really change my mind...nothing in the proposed evolution of the halberd cannot also, more easily, fit an evolution from the spear. Admittedly, the berdiche is difficult to reconcile. Wink

Michael

Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well gee aren't we forgetting that infamous *snicker* "viking halberd" that MRL was so kind as to inven...uh...discover and recreate? *guffaw* Razz
Geoffrey H

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently saw a doco ("fact or fiction") that each week takes well known historical figures and looks at the truth or otherwise of the stories surrounding them. One week to topic was Harold Godwinson, the Saxon opponent of William the Conqueror (incidentally this is the time depicted in the Bayeux tapestrey). In the doco there was a description of how foot battles were fought, in this case Harold's men fighting off one of the last Viking raids (he is credited as thrashing them and getting an agremment for them to never come back, which apparently they did not after this time).

The battle is described as two opposing shield walls of spearmen. Harold's Harscarls, wielding some form of long handled axes, stood behind the line and attemped to strike over the heads of thier men at weak points in the opposing line. Presumably some part of the lines would come close together and then suddenly this big guy with a gigantic axe is standing behind your opponent who you are fighting and he swings his axe down on top of your head. If the predominat makeup of the soldiers at the time were shield and spearmen, you can see how having a few big guys with big axes behind your lines might work.

In this situation the long handled axe is used to break the deadlock that exists between two shield walls. The number of men with these long axes is relativeley small, but thier job is an important one.

EDIT: The point I am making is that in this case the long axe was not a weapon for individual or skimish combat, but a weapon specially designed to strike down over the shieldwall. It would be even more usefull if the men in the shieldwalls had only a shield and a hand weapon each, in this case the walls are very close together, having some guys with long axes striking over the wall while the oponents are already fighting one man each sounds like a good was to kill lots of the opposition, allthough you can imagine that in many conflicts both sides would be using this tactic.

If you want to re-enact the use of long axes, you might try having some shield wall fighting with one or two guys behind each wall using long axes.

Lurker

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Awaiting Arrival of the Danish War Axe by A&A
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: